The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

View Poll Results: Can vinyl graphics be clear coated
Yes, wait 30 days before applying 2 more coats of clear coat 0 0%
Yes, but you should apply in between clear coats no need to wait 30 days 1 7.14%
No, this will eventually crack and you will have to redo the panel(s) - I have seen it happen 2 14.29%
No, any repairs to the area may be extensive to deal with the graphic under the clear coat 4 28.57%
Please do it so if it fails I can learn from your mistake as I was thinking about doing it 7 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-29-2008, 02:04 PM

Default clearcoat over stickers ?

I'm getting close to the paint process and I'm wondering if after the 2nd coat of CC is appiled if the stripe should be applied before the last coat of CC or do I need to wait until the CC has out-gased (30days) and then apply the sticker stripe and then apply another coat or two oc CC? I like the idea of waxing the car in the future with worrying about the wax getting on the sticker or building up next to the stripe.
Thx, norm

Old 05-29-2008, 02:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wouldn't clearcoat a vinyl stripe. If you do expect the clear to crack, chip & peel over time.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbait40
wait until the CC has out-gased (30days) and then apply the sticker stripe and then apply another coat or two oc CC? I like the idea of waxing the car in the future with worrying about the wax getting on the sticker or building up next to the stripe.
Thx, norm
Do that, that would be my choice. Either way could potentially have an issue but I know from experience the vinyl can make waxing and buffing a pita and the vinyl can also scuff in which case you cant do anything about it like buffing or polishing. I honestly don't know how prone to cracking, chipping, or peeling CC would be over vinyl but todays CC's are awesome products and I would think it would be as trouble free as the rest of the CC.

68 Firebird, trying a q-jet now. 434/10.5:1/997's/240-242 HFT/4L80E/2800 Yank/3.42's/ Vintage Air/ 13.0 @105 mph
70 Lemans, 350/350, A/C, mostly stock
14 Ram CC, 5.7 Hemi, 8-speed, 3.92 lsd
97 Trans Am, HPP Aug 2012 http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...tiac_trans_am/ ***Sold***
Old 05-29-2008, 03:12 PM

I have seen some cars with the big scream'in chicken under clear coat, how do they do that ? I don't think it was painted as you could see somewhat of an outline.

Thx, norm

Old 05-29-2008, 03:45 PM
Suspended

We've done it here in the shop with success. I'd do at least two coats of clear on top.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:05 PM

I wouldn't clear over a vinyl decal. the vinyl will expand / contract at different rates than the paint. it's a failure waiting to happen IMO.

If the vinyl cracks on top of the clear you're just replacing the vinyl. If there's a problem under the clear you're repainting the panel.

My opinion, Fwiw.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 05-29-2008, 08:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I did my first OHC Sprint car I wanted to clear the side body stripes and my body man said it wasn't a good idea.
He said if any damage happens I/he would have to strip the whole area Vs. just a section of decal/stripe.
It made good sence to me.
I've been waxing my 66' since 95' with no wax buildup issues.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

To approach the issue in a different way, I prefer to use the new polymer type sealants after a good 3M polish (followed by dawn dishwashing wash/thorough rinse to get rid of the polish residue). The polymer sealants (e.g. "Zaino"), not only fill in light scratches but also seal and protect as a wax does with no distracting white residue to catch the edges.

I'm no paint expert, but painting over vinyl doesn't sound very durable on a surface exposed to extreme temperature change, elements, and flex. Sounds like rolling decopage If it were to work I would have to imagine it would take several coats of clear (figure you will want to wetsand it after you done and two coats will likely just clear - no pun - the edge).

400 + .020, decked to .005
SD Performance 240+CFM 670 heads
RARE HO/RA manifolds
RARE 2.5" Exhaust (18" Magnaflows)
SD "Stump Puller" HR cam (230/236, 112LSA, 107.5 ICL)
PRW stainless 1.52 roller rockers
Forged TRW slugs
SCAT H-Beam forged rods

Last edited by GTOGreg; 05-29-2008 at 11:33 PM.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:09 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hamlin
When I did my first OHC Sprint car I wanted to clear the side body stripes and my body man said it wasn't a good idea.
He said if any damage happens I/he would have to strip the whole area Vs. just a section of decal/stripe.
It made good sence to me.
I've been waxing my 66' since 95' with no wax buildup issues.
Shouldn't be an issue as who is going to spot fix an area on a car with a decent paint jon.
If you have enough damage to an area you're going to want to redo the entire panel anyway.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967Clone
Shouldn't be an issue as who is going to spot fix an area on a car with a decent paint jon.
If you have enough damage to an area you're going to want to redo the entire panel anyway.
I would agree with the above statement however, I just can't see myself painting over a decal. Just seems like to many CTE ( coefficient of thermal expansion)miss matches there that will eventually cause problems. Just my opinion, I haven't done it due to all the time and effort it takes to properly prep a car for paint in the 1st place and don't want to risk a premature problems.

64 GTO 389 Tri Power 4spd Nocturne Blue Poly
70 GTO 400 4spd Palladium Silver
70 GP 400/4 spd triple Black
71 T/A 455 4spd Cameo White
01 T/A Bright Red 4L60E Ram Air WS6
02 TA Navy Blue Metalic 6 spd Ram Air WS6
Old 05-30-2008, 10:09 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAmT/AGTO
I would agree with the above statement however, I just can't see myself painting over a decal. Just seems like to many CTE ( coefficient of thermal expansion)miss matches there that will eventually cause problems. Just my opinion, I haven't done it due to all the time and effort it takes to properly prep a car for paint in the 1st place and don't want to risk a premature problems.
Like I said, here in the bodyshop we've done it on customers requests and have had no issues.

Me personally, I'd just go with a nice painted pinstripe instead of going through all the hassle.

One downfall to clearing over vinyl pinstripes would be if you had to blend into an adjacent panel, then you would be forced to replace the entire strip and clear on that panel.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Check with SWEETJUDGE (py member) on this. He does decals and stickers for a living and may have some recommendations on what material would work best. I have cleared over many decals in the past on snowmobiles, helmets and smaller items without issue.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOGreg
The polymer sealants (e.g. "Zaino"), not only fill in light scratches but also seal and protect as a wax does with no distracting white residue to catch the edges.
I couldn't agree more, Greg. The Zaino polish I've been using on my 76 T/A actually makes the vinyl graphics look like they HAVE been clear coated over. Because it's not a wax it doesn't harm the graphics either. After repeated use the Zaino polish has actually built up (invisibly) at the edge of the graphics making it feel like it doesn't have an edge, just like if it was clear coated over.

Check out these pics:

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots!"
Old 05-30-2008, 02:06 PM

add a poll to this question, im thinking f clear coating mine also

Old 05-30-2008, 04:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I do graphics and I dont clear coat graphics on autos,
just asking for trouble.
Some guys use frog juice or krylon clear and I have on graphics for signs etc,but never on an auto.
I see it as this.
Does vinyl have the same characteristics as urethane paint?
Weve had this discussion here before ,just search.

Old 05-30-2008, 04:54 PM

72 BB - Poll added as per your request - Thanks for all the responses

Old 05-30-2008, 05:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My GTO had been repainted before I got it. Whoever did it applied "Ram Air IV" stickers to the scoops and then clearcoated over them. That would be great if my car was a RAIV. I'll bet I've explained that to 8 million people in the 8 years I've had it.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:16 PM
Suspended

Wow, is your car a RA IV?

Old 05-30-2008, 11:55 PM

Thumbs up I did it..

I applied the decals and the painter fogged on many coats of clear over them. Many coats...It's been over 10 years, decals look better than new, cant even tell they are decals, virtually no ridge....would do it again.

tried to upload pics....pics wont upload tonite.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I cleared my stripe in 1980 with clear laquer. 25 years later they still looked like new. I'm not recommending that anybdy do it, just saying I did, with great results over time.