THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:03 PM
Administrator

Smile New "Thank You" system on PY

Hi Everyone

How often have you wanted to show some appreciation to a member who was helpful to you? In those cases you probably posted a reply that simply said "Thanks." But what if that "Thanks" was easier and more powerful at the same time.

If you haven't already noticed, there is a new "Thanks" button next to every post on the PY Forums (near the Quote button). Clicking that button on a specific post adds your username to the thanked area under the post. That single click allows you to show your appreciation to helpful members and put some good karma back into the Pontiac community. It also helps others reading that thread know which posts were helpful at a glance.

This new feature of the PY Forums also keeps track of each time you've thanked another member and each time you've been thanked. You can see and search this info on the statistics tab of every member's profile page.

You can also see a list of the Most Thanked members at the bottom of the PY Forums Home page as part of the new Top 10 Statistics block we've added.

And who knows, maybe sometime in the future PY might even run a contest for the most thankful and most thanked members.

Please let us know what you think of this new feature, positives and negatives.

Thanks

Old 09-11-2013, 09:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

We have this feature on another board that I use, it works very well, Thanks PY.

Stan

Old 09-11-2013, 09:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I think its a great idea!

1968 lemans :In progress!
1970 Bonneville 455 HO convertible (survivor)sold
1969 firebird
Old 09-11-2013, 09:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

And you have the option to remove your thanks!

TOM
Old 09-11-2013, 09:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by salem1912 View Post
That's even better !

1968 lemans :In progress!
1970 Bonneville 455 HO convertible (survivor)sold
1969 firebird
Old 09-11-2013, 09:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by salem1912 View Post
Is that the same as a "no thanks"?

I've recently joined a couple of other car forums that use the "Thanks" system, so I am a little bit familiar with it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 400 4spd. For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2013, 09:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

This could be trouble. LOL

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Deadhead For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2013, 12:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice touch.

Now for something much more useful, can we add "block user from posts I start" to the "ignore" feature?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to einstein For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2013, 07:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I go on another site that has this feature.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:48 PM

I just post a thank you. I don't need no stinkin button there's enough "buttons" in this world! A from the heart personal thank you or a kind word to someone is a far better way to make a statement then a button. JMHO!!

Thank You Steve See wasn't that nice?

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Firedup6975 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2013, 01:00 PM
Suspended

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedup6975 View Post
I just post a thank you. I don't need no stinkin button there's enough "buttons" in this world! A from the heart personal thank you or a kind word to someone is a far better way to make a statement then a button. JMHO!!

Just for you MA http://globalmoxie.com/bm~pix/easy-button~s800x800.jpg

Old 09-12-2013, 01:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by einstein View Post
Nice touch.

Now for something much more useful, can we add "block user from posts I start" to the "ignore" feature?
There's usually a good reason why they are my "IGNORE" at least and I don't care to see what they have to say. They usually disrupt the thread from the way the OP has intended.

The Following User Says Thank You to arbys For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2013, 01:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, but everyone else sees their posts.
If no one saw their posts either, that would be good?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 09-12-2013, 01:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
Yes, but everyone else sees their posts.

Not if they are your ignore also. That person would the most ignored person on PY.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:

Hey MA
You're not wrong, a from-the-heart personal reply is likely to have more meaning. But let me pose this scenario:
There's an older tech thread about a problem you just began experiencing with one of your beautiful rides and the 5th response to the thread gives you the info that you needed to fix the issue you are having. Obviously the poster of the 5th response deserves a Thank You, the only problem is that there are already 45 posts in that thread so your thank you will appear 2 pages later. I'm sure you'd combat your aversion to buttons enough to use the Quote button with your reply so that a copy of the 5th post accompanies your Thank You. Then some time later another with a similar problem is reading that entire thread and gets to your glowing note of appreciation on page 3 and recognizes the post you quote. However they skip going back to page 1 and re-read the original post and re-reading reply #7 that describes a variation that didn't apply to your situation but does apply to this other member's situation. 24 hours later, after this other member has read the quote in your reply 20-30 times, trying to figure out what he/she is doing wrong, he/she begins to read the entire thread from the beginning and re-discovers reply #7. If only the other member had seen your endorcement of reply #5 when he/she first read the thread and right before reading the important variation described in reply #7. If only this other member could have those 24 hours back.

Plus, it's a brand new, shiny button. And it appears on every post, just begging you to push it. It knows you see it. It's giving you a thumbs up. It's so enticing and simple. You want to push it, if only to see what will happen. Go ahead. Push it. Just once. It couldn't hurt anything. All your friends are doing it.

Steve

Old 09-12-2013, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by einstein View Post
Nice touch.

I'll see what I can find.

Steve

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dm_fan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm_fan View Post
Hey MA
You're not wrong, a from-the-heart personal reply is likely to have more meaning. But let me pose this scenario:
There's an older tech thread about a problem you just began experiencing with one of your beautiful rides and the 5th response to the thread gives you the info that you needed to fix the issue you are having. Obviously the poster of the 5th response deserves a Thank You, the only problem is that there are already 45 posts in that thread so your thank you will appear 2 pages later. I'm sure you'd combat your aversion to buttons enough to use the Quote button with your reply so that a copy of the 5th post accompanies your Thank You. Then some time later another with a similar problem is reading that entire thread and gets to your glowing note of appreciation on page 3 and recognizes the post you quote. However they skip going back to page 1 and re-read the original post and re-reading reply #7 that describes a variation that didn't apply to your situation but does apply to this other member's situation. 24 hours later, after this other member has read the quote in your reply 20-30 times, trying to figure out what he/she is doing wrong, he/she begins to read the entire thread from the beginning and re-discovers reply #7. If only the other member had seen your endorcement of reply #5 when he/she first read the thread and right before reading the important variation described in reply #7. If only this other member could have those 24 hours back.

Plus, it's a brand new, shiny button. And it appears on every post, just begging you to push it. It knows you see it. It's giving you a thumbs up. It's so enticing and simple. You want to push it, if only to see what will happen. Go ahead. Push it. Just once. It couldn't hurt anything. All your friends are doing it.

Steve

Ha...Ha... I don't have any friends But I do understand what you are saying.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 09-12-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
Oh Alvin you're just a regular laugh riot.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

The Following User Says Thank You to Firedup6975 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2013, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Ha...Ha... I don't have any friends But I do understand what you are saying.
But you're one of the most friendly people I've ever met. That doesn't seem likely.

Actually, it's not a bad idea if you do both. Just click Thanks right before you click Quote. That way the member gets 1 added to his/her Thank tally and also a person Thank You.

Steve

Old 09-12-2013, 05:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Not if they are your ignore also. That person would the most ignored person on PY.
I guess that's true, ignore them all.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates