Old 07-21-2022, 08:17 PM

Default Gas Cap Variance

I've been having some fuel issues since I bought my car a couple years ago, I've posted about it in another thread previously.

I got a new vented gas cap a while back and today I went to put it on. To my surprise it is not like the one on my car. The distance between the gasket and the prongs that lock it into the tank are drastically different lengths. The new cap I got won't lock on as the prongs are two short to go into the tank far enough to turn and lock.

New 1970 T/A vented cap on the right, cap that was on my car (and fits) on the left.

Is the new cap wrong for a Norwood car, has my tank been changed, or........?

Old 07-22-2022, 10:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

what does the end of your tank look like, maybe a pic can let someone confirm if its original. i have a new spectre? brand 1970 tank in my 72 firebird & use the cheap priced vented cap like the one on the right, it fits very tight but will lock on as it should with a little effort. it gets better after some use where the rubber gasket conforms to tank, also a little wd40 helps it spin on easier.

if your tank & cap are original, the cap should be vented for 1970 from what i saw when researching 1970 tanks & caps, i see the hole on the inside, can you suck air through it?

Old 07-22-2022, 11:15 AM

This is the tank neck:

Doing some research this morning it seems there are two tank necks used in 1970. The flat cap that I ordered was used in '70 and earlier years. There is a "deep shank" cap that for some tank necks between '70-'73.

Looks like I need to order this one:

https://www.firebirdcentral.com/1970...k_p/fue-60.htm

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MMunger For This Useful Post: