WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 09-29-2005, 11:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default What does the 2006 GTO need, or not need?

To make it visually distinctive from the 2005 model I mean. For 2005 we got the sculpted hood and lh/rh exhaust outlets w/remodeled lower facia in the rear.

For 2006 I would like to see the Sport Appearance grille inserts made standard, the front facia revised, offer a new set of wheels (retire the current ones), a few retro-color choices (Tiger Gold?, Verdoro Green?, Orbit Orange?,???), a redline tire option, and make the rear air foil optional. Now, for a real pie-in-the-sky wish, make some of the more expensive standard equipment like A/C, 30-way power seats, and traction control, optional equipment. That would not only help shave some weight off the car, but also lower the base price. And for Pete's sake (Pete, you know who you are), try to get that AT car's mileage rating out of the Gas Guzzler Tax range.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:40 PM
Senior Chief

2006 (possibly 2007 as well) will be the same car as 2005 with a few minor tweaks. Darker tail lights and different exterior colors will be the only visual distinction between years. '05 colors Yellow Jacket and Midnight Blue Metallic are gone, replaced with '06 colors Brazen Orange Metallic and Spice Red Metallic...possibly a Nickel Silver later in the year. I would have liked to see some retro colors too, but I'm happy with Yellow Jacket.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:57 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

retro color offerings, larger rear wheel wells to accompany an already too bulbous back end, convertible.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:48 PM

Send a message via MSN to EBJudge

If I remember right it's been said that a convertible can't be put on this platform.
But, I may be mis-remembering this.
It's what I want. I will not be buying one until it happens.

'69 Expresso Brown/Gold RAIII Judge HT
'86 Carmine & Black/Red 1.8L NA Sunbird GT Convert.
'03 Montana EXT

Pontiac 1926-2010?
Old 09-30-2005, 08:06 PM
Senior Chief

I wish they would eliminate the Leather seats as standard also.
2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Jeff Gordon Edition
2017 Dodge Challenger SXT Black Top Edition
Old 09-30-2005, 08:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Since more people are finally coming around to accepting the styling, it needs more power to compete with the GT500. No other aesthetic changes are possible on the current platform so a higher performance edition is the only logical change. If I could change anything about the current car, it would be a larger wheel well to accept different offset wheels and larger (wider) tires. Even as is, I would be perfectly happy just knowing the GTO owns the performance crown.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I saw what appeared to be a Fusion Orange GTO on the street here in Detroit just last week. Do you think that it was actually a Brazen Orange Metallic '06?

I just started this thread because I remember the good (?) old days when each year featured a different grille, taillight panel, certainly wheel covers, body trim, graphics, and a 2-3 year restyle cycle... Why can't Pontiac/GM make a few component changes that would set the new GTO distinctly apart from last year's model? Is the EPA/CAFE certification process so cost prohibitive that even a new grille insert (already in the parts bins) or a completely new road wheel is not feasible?? Why does GM not recognize the demand, if not fervor, for some retro cues on this car? I can see the rush to market with the '04 car necessitating a restriction in styling changes from the parental Monaro, and the new hood and rear facia for '05 was a good move. If the changes for '06 a couple of new colors (boring) and new taillight lenses, I'm really gonna be dishartened, crestfallen, well, darn it, I'm gonna be positively ticked.
I appologize for the strong language.

Last edited by gtoric; 10-01-2005 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Needs: Retro Styling. Larger rear wheel wells.
Doesn't need: Holden. Current gay bait wheels & spoiler.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Keep the raise of HP each year as they did from 04 to 05, all that is needed.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:56 PM

Default What it really needs!

Sorry for repeating myself. It needs: a convertible, a Carousel red option, a Judge package (come on Lutz, its just a damn sticker), redlines tires, and Hurst design wheels. Everything else about the car is cool. Sorry guys, I think GM did the right thing staying out of the retro thing. The car unmistakably looks like a Pontiac. I am already tired of the new Mustangs; last years non-retro GT's, etc. will be the collector cars of the future. Again, just my opinion.

To echo the above statement, I just can't buy one until a convertible appears.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaJudges
Sorry for repeating myself. It needs: a convertible, a Carousel red option, a Judge package (come on Lutz, its just a damn sticker), redlines tires, and Hurst design wheels. ...I just can't buy one until a convertible appears.
Ditto. PS: Sorry about your BMW. I haven't had any problems with my 740i. I should check to see which plant it was manufactured in. I thought they were all exclusively Germany.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:23 PM

Default Where they are made

Red70:

Here's a quote from BMW:

Rosslyn Plant

BMW’s South African plant in Rosslyn (near Pretoria) builds more than 40,000 BMW 3 Series a year, many of which are exported to the USA, Japan, Australia, Africa and the Middle East. Initially conceived as a CKD plant for assembling kits, the Rosslyn Plant completed expansion in 1998, becoming a fully-fledged car production plant firmly integrated within the Group’s production network. Receiving the international ISO 14001 Ecology Certificate in 1999, Rosslyn now guarantees that all BMW Group plants not only offer the highest standard of quality, but also comply in full with the strictest environmental requirements.

They are also now being made in Egypt. I heard that due to import restictions in Europe (until recently at least), BMW made in Egypt or South Africa could not be imported into Europe. As such, all surplus cars were destined for the United States.

My guess is that the 7 series are, and will always be, made in Germany.

CKD stands for "completely knocked down" and I was suprised that BMW builds its cars in kits. Maybe that is why my 3 series has been so rotten.

T.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Red70:

Here's a quote from BMW:

Rosslyn Plant

BMW’s South African plant in Rosslyn (near Pretoria) builds more than 40,000 BMW 3 Series a year, many of which are exported to the USA, Japan, Australia, Africa and the Middle East. Initially conceived as a CKD plant for assembling kits, the Rosslyn Plant completed expansion in 1998, becoming a fully-fledged car production plant firmly integrated within the Group’s production network. Receiving the international ISO 14001 Ecology Certificate in 1999, Rosslyn now guarantees that all BMW Group plants not only offer the highest standard of quality, but also comply in full with the strictest environmental requirements.

They are also now being made in Egypt. I heard that due to import restictions in Europe (until recently at least), BMW made in Egypt or South Africa could not be imported into Europe. As such, all surplus cars were destined for the United States.

My guess is that the 7 series are, and will always be, made in Germany.

CKD stands for "completely knocked down" and I was suprised that BMW builds its cars in kits. Maybe that is why my 3 series has been so rotten.

T.
Very interesting, thanks for the info! I agree with you on the clean lines of the 04/05 GTO on the front anyways. I just can't get used to that flanky back end. It looks so out of place with the small wheel wells. Perhaps in a 'vert they wouldn't look so small.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Sorry for repeating myself. It needs: a convertible, a Carousel red option, a Judge package (come on Lutz, its just a damn sticker), redlines tires, and Hurst design wheels. Everything else about the car is cool. Sorry guys, I think GM did the right thing staying out of the retro thing. The car unmistakably looks like a Pontiac. I am already tired of the new Mustangs; last years non-retro GT's, etc. will be the collector cars of the future. Again, just my opinion.

To echo the above statement, I just can't buy one until a convertible appears.
Again...09 is the latest on the vert option... Stay out of the retro arena yet add all retro touches, aren't you sort of contradicting yourself? Sorry, I just don't get it?
Old 10-05-2005, 11:00 AM

Default New Car

Humbler:

I see your point. Like anything, you start with a general rule or idea and then obviously exceptions apply. Using your logic, I could say to you that Pontiac did a good job incorporating a retro design because they utilized the name GTO, have split headlights, and five spoke Ralley II styled wheels. Thus, it is retro and honors the GTO nameplate.

Colors are colors. I think the current car would look good with carousel red, hugger orange, or blazen orange (or whatever Pontiac might choose to call it). Would you tell me that I am hypocritical because I'd like to see black on a new car, don't care for retro versions, then remind me it was offered in 1969? Thus, I can't like the color black without championing a new, retro design?

When I suggest having a Judge option, I have absolutely no desire to see the psycho color schemes and fonts used in 1969 through 1971. My 1970 has eyebrow stripes. That would look terribly silly on a 2006 car. I wouldn't suggest using reflective stripes either.

I would like to see the Judge appear as an option for the same reason I was happy to see the return of the GTO name. A classic name that is meaningful with a modern application. I also intend to own every year Judge and would love a continuation of the theme which is a purely personal reason. A convertible preference is easy to understand. I am also being hypocritical because convertibles were first offered almost 100 years ago, thus I am denying my true "retro" self?

Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion. But, no one has a right to condemn others for what they believe. I am always amazed at the amount of energy people place in criticizing the new GTO. Will everyone really be happy when the GTO is gone and they can take satisfaction in knowing "they did their part in eliminating the SOB"? Do all these people also subscribe to the Charger blogs and offer the same harsh opinions? Corvette boards? Don't like it, don't buy it.

Lastly, and in my personal opinion, the new GTO shares more in style with my 1969 car than does a 1964 GTO when compared against a 1971 or, most certainly a 1973. Any protests about that? Should we start a new thread "Why the 1973 and 1974 GTO isn't really a GTO?"

I think what happened is largely due to the GTO not being made for a period of 10 years. Die hard fans want to start with where Pontiac left off (of course, most would not include 1973 or 1974 as true GTO's). Again, in my opinion, Pontiac is probably very, very close to where they would have been had production never ceased. Ironically, people would be cheering the new car as a rededication to pure muscle.

Do I think my opinion is hypocritical or contrary to my new GTO wishlist? Not at all. Take classic themes, modernize them for a new world, and make a great car. I think that is exactly what Pontiac did. There is a whole marketplace available to the GTO; and retro themes simply are irrelevant to many people. When we drive our Judges, we get as many people laughing at them as giving the thumbs up. Pontiac has only failed at capturing a new audience. They didn't fail at trying to rekindle the dying embers of a generation that, quite frankly, would prefer to complain about new cars with little intention of adding them to a collection. My calendar suggests the 60's ended 40 years ago. Of course, people can always buy and old car to satisfy the retro need.

In my opinion, the new GTO is a very good car that is dangerously close to being irresistible (i.e. NEW Judge package, convertible, and NEW wheels with a Hurst theme (I think they already look kind of close)).

If you disagree, cool. You are certainly fee to do so. Seems like a lot of negative thought going in one direction though. By the way, I parked next to a 2005 black GTO today. I was again reminded that it is a great car.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:14 AM
Senior Chief

Well said.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff R
Well said.
Ditto to what Jeff R said and to the above. I've probably stirred the pot as much as anybody on this forum, but not so much on the car itself but those who hold themselves in such high esteem as self proclaimed legendary "experts" ,aka: those who criticize others that like the car as a whole but would like to see some improvements, minor at best. The real enthusiast and "expert" in this forum are those who have bought the car because they drove it, liked it and bought it, not because it's a natural progression from something or other.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A stripper model selling for $25K - and weighing hundreds of pounds less . . .
Old 10-05-2005, 08:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by red70goat
Needs: Retro Styling. Larger rear wheel wells.
Doesn't need: Holden. Current gay bait wheels & spoiler.
Needs fat tires out in back to go with those wheel wells! Not those little skinnies
Old 10-07-2005, 08:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1) A real back seat that houses three people. The dual bucket theme is cute, but I am not allowed to have one because it will not hold five people and I KNOW the Commodore will hold three people in the rear. Same parts, simple change= more sales.
2) Get rid of the motorized-seat-mover-thingy. A simple manual latch and slide would be lighter and faster.
3) Ditch that rear spoiler.
4) Ditch that rear spoiler.
5) Ditch... err... put a nice 2nd gen T/A style duck tail spoiler on it.
6) Larger wheel wells.