Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-03-2018, 10:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default First post in long while- trash in oil pump check ball?

Been a long time since I last posted but still enjoying my Lemans.

About a month or so ago I took it out on a long hot drive and noticed the oil pressure was very low when returning home. Only around 40 psi at running speed and below 10 at idle. Not good. I let it sit a few weeks then started it up again and cold pressure at idle was normal, around 70 psi. I romped on it hard just to try to blow out any trash that might have got the oil pump check ball stuck. It stayed normal and I shut it down, didn't warm it up or drive it.

This morning I cranked it up and the cold oil pressure at idle was way low, only around 40 psi. So trash sticking the ball again. I romped on it hard and it returned to its normal 70 psi. Drove it around for 30 minutes and pressure was perfectly normal, once warmed up stayed at 60 at cruise and 25 at idle.

It seems I am having a trash in pump ball problem but it is OK now. Anyone that has experienced this, how likely is it to happen again? I don't want to drive too far from home and then get low oil pressure again. But really don't want to pull the engine just to check it.

"The best way to show a car is to drive it"
Old 07-03-2018, 12:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You know how Murphy's law works out my friend so I would be proactive and yank the motor and find out what's going on, as procrastination could end up with a Rod popping out the side of the block !

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 07-03-2018, 04:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What gauge are you using? Stock?mechanical? electric?

Old combo:
462 10.75 CR,,SD 330CFM Round Port E's,Old Faithful cam,Jim Hand Continental,3.42's.
1968 Pontiac GTO : 11.114 @ 120.130 MPH

New combo:
517 MR-1,10.8 CR,SD 350CFM E's,QFT 950/Northwind,246/252 HR,9.5” 4000 stall,3.42's
636HP/654TQ
1.452 10.603 @ 125.09
http://www.dragtimes.com/Pontiac-GTO...lip-31594.html
Old 07-03-2018, 04:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I actually have two gauges on it, a fancy aftermarket electric and a cheap mechanical. Both agree with each other within a few psi. Both are plumbed to the stock location at the filter housing.

The engine was built 8 years ago and it has been flawless since working out the kinks back then, and it has thousands of miles on it. So I know what normal oil pressure is for the build.

Also quick mention I called it a check ball but I know it is the pressure relief ball, just wasn't thinking when I posted.

I know pulling it out would answer any questions Steve. Not going to drive with low oil pressure but right now pressure is perfectly normal again after romping on it cold. And pulling it all apart is a PITA.

"The best way to show a car is to drive it"
Old 07-03-2018, 05:39 PM
Boost Engineer

Put a new filter on the engine and see if the issue returns and repeats.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Same thing happened to me long time ago low oil pressure after a long drive no noises started it up cold next day gave it some RPMs and no longer had a problem after that

I wouldnt assume trash did it but it was a pressure relief malfunction drove that engine another few years did tear it down never to find out exactly why

Old 07-03-2018, 07:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Happened to me .... ran it for a long time wondering....stopped wondering when I found my check ball being held open by a piece of junk(steel)

71 GTO, 463, KRE 295 cfm heads ported by SD Performance, RPM intake, Qjet, Dougs Headers, Comp cams HR 246/252 ...11 to 1 , 3.55 cogs, 3985lbs.....day three- 11.04 at 120mph ....1.53 60', 6.98 1/8 mile
Old 07-03-2018, 08:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey PontGuy, how's it going?

Your issue could be either the pump relief or the pickup sucking a bit of air. What pickup is on the pump, and was it staked or welded to the pump body?

relief seems like most likely to cause the issue. Either a piece of trash, or there is a burr in the seat or ball channel that is hanging the ball. Was this pump blueprinted?

White '67 LeMans 407/TH350/Ford 3.89... RIP
Red '67 LeMans. 407/TH400/Ford 3.25
Old 07-04-2018, 06:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The only time I've had similar issues is when I tested the smaller oil filters folks have recommended on this Forum that fit the Pontiac filter housing and provide additional header clearance.

Can't remember the part numbers at the moment but one was a Purolator, the other from NAPA. I was excited to find filters that were easy to install as the Hedman 67-69 Firebird headers I use are a huge PITA when it comes to changing the oil filter. Not only will they not allow for a stock height filter, then don't have enough room to easily squeeze a full diameter filter past them to get it to the housing either.

Both small filters I tested worked fine for a while, then I lost oil pressure and started seeing very low readings. Removed the filters and went back to a full size filter and the problems went away. The first one I tested was the Purolator, can't remember the number other than it had quite a few 1's in it. A few years later someone posted a NAPA number that worked flawlessly for them and was shorter and narrower than a stock filter, so I tried it. Worked fine for quite a while then failed in the same manner as the first one.

I discovered the Baldwin B39 filter that I use now, went to them and have had zero issues now for at least 15 years. The Baldwin filter is full flow, no check valve, and also shows the fastest response of any filter I've ever tested on my mechanical oil pressure gauge. It's a full diameter filter but a tad shorter than most true Pontiac filters so it clears the headers fine. I use them exclusively for all Pontiac engine builds with zero issues, and I also do not use the bypass in the filter housing.......Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),