Old 05-20-2005, 02:18 AM

I was just wondering what the general consensus on these was among owners of the bigger cars. Personally, I like them very much. They are like smaller versions of 73-77's, and share a lot of the ride and drive chracteristics, as well as many shared styling cues. Option-wise, they are similar as well. The good ones have bucket seats, nice consoles and floor shifters, Rally gauges, lots of power toys, and also could come with T-tops or power sunroofs. As far as the drivetrain, the 301 that was so awful in the 77's and in Trans Ams does pretty well in the smaller GP's. They even came with four barrel carbs, and have a decent potential for a little tuning to turn that 301 into a decent mill for the size of the car. Even the V6 motors that came standard had a nice powerband, and in my experience they are one of the most durable motors ever made by any manufacturer. It's not only that they are durable, but they seem almost oblivious to age. I've seen them pushing 200,000 miles and still looking, sounding, and idling like brand new, with nary a leak or a stutter. If that wasn't enough, I've seen every Pontiac motor up to a 455 under the hood of one of these "baby GP's" - and these big mills must have really sent these cars running. The styling is pure Pontiac - anybody who knows the slightest bit about cars can spot one as a Pontiac from a mile away, and probably even call the model too. I think that these are very attractive cars. Of course the 78-79 differed from the 80-87's, and while I used to like the harder to find 78-79's better, I now prefer the 80-87's. And although they were offered as a 2+2 model, the somewhat collectible and somewhat rare factory special, I don't like them and think that the bubble "aero" rear window totally ruins the classic Grand Prix lines of the car.

While I would not pick a 78-87 if I could only have one Grand Prix, fortunately nobody has made me choose. And there is no doubt that I could take a given 1985 over a given 1975 - it just depends on what each car has. In reference to the 2+2 above, here is a link to a car that many of you have probably seen. I have seen it on Ebay at least twice, and I think more. It is a good example of somebody creating a car that the factory could have, and should have made. Sort of what I am doing with my 77. I don't know the story behind this car, or how it runs - but just going by looks it is very sharp. Add A/C and T-tops to this one, and you have a car that would drool over and really, really want.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...550086907&rd=1

Old 05-20-2005, 07:23 AM

i have driven the 81-7 g/p's for years and still have one saved back for a future project.

the last one i drove had a w-30 455 olds in it. let's just say it was a lot of fun.

re the 86 2+2, i had an 87 ordered when they cancelled the pkg.that really pissed me off. i was working at a pontiac dealership at the time and would have bought the car at dealer cost.

2600 of these cars were built according to the figures we rec'd thru gm. nice rides but my only complaint was the deck lid. it was too small to be practical.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 05-20-2005, 10:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I kinda dig that generation too, Springo. Better hurry up and buy spare parts before the Ebay inflation sets in!

I used to really dislike the '78-'79s, but I have since grown fond of them. And, as you said, the '80-'87 models have a lot going for them. I will admit, however, that given the choice between a '87 GP and a '87 Monte Carlos SS, the SS wins in my eyes. Just looks more aggressive. Too bad Pontiac didn't have a blacked out, suped up version of the GP then.

Old 05-20-2005, 04:34 PM

I like the '78 model the best; they had the neat "striped" taillights. The non-vinyl top cars have a very thin B-pillars & have a very smooth, sporty look to them. I think the vinyl top detracts from the '78 to '80 lines.

The '78 was also the only year with the silver gauges which I really like...they have a bluish-green tint when the dash lights are on at night.

Never was too fond of the '81 to '87 models. They were nice cars...but they never did anything for me.

Old 05-20-2005, 06:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My '78 Lemans has those same silver faced gauges you are talking about. I had never seen them prior to my going to look at this car, and I thought they were pretty cool when I saw them!

Old 05-20-2005, 09:11 PM

All they need is a decent engine! I agree on the vinyl top issue... no thanks. I've been told that the 78-80 models are the lightest of the bunch. Can anyone confirm that?

Old 07-02-2005, 03:55 AM
Senior Chief

Well,
I've got a '79 GP LJ with T-tops, no vinyltop, buckets seats (drivers powered)reclining pass.seat, console, A/C, safe t-track, powel windows, power trunk, power antenna, power locks, tilt, 301 2 bbl, 14" snowflakes, two tone gold over beige, and I got it with an original mileage of 87.000 kilometers (around 55.000 miles)
To add more history; this car was assembled in the GM plant in Biel, Switserland, Europe with a kilometer speedo. It has no rust at all which is rare in Europe. I was the second car from an older guy in Switserland who had it garaged all the time. I have about 10 different booklets with the car; emission control history, service history protectoplate etc. It has a few parking lot dings but for the rest it is a really nice car.
I paid a little more than what such a car usually goes for in Europe, but I like the originality, history and options (especially the T-tops).
It's totally different from the '68 GTO 4 speed I've got (engine-less at this time)
It's really a cruiser

I've lusted after a Pontiac A/G body with T-tops for many years (my first american car was a '79 Olds Cutlass Supreme without t-tops).
I love the '76/'77 ones but I've never come across one here in Europe that was in a decent shape only a few really abused cars.
So when I found this one on the net with all the desireable extra's and the mileage I went for it.

Erik

'71 LeMans Woody Wagon 400/350 patina project
1975 Grand Am 400 factory sunroof project car
Old 07-06-2005, 12:41 PM
Senior Chief

from what i've been told, the 78-80 base model GPs are the lightest of the bunch. i'd liek to have one of the 79s with a 4spd. there was one on ebay a couple weeks ago, but for 2grand, it sure was beat the hell up. i've had a really nice 78 Sj, and i currently have a 79 Lj. The 79 is a very early 79 model year car, actually built in August of 78. All the body parts will interchange between the 78-81 cars. the interiors will interchange between all years, but i think 84 and later had different door panels. Engine swaps are easy in the 78-81 if you want to put a bigger pontiac engine in, the motor mounts and tranny mounts all swap. And all the suspension parts change between all the g-body cars from 78-87. There are still plenty of the 78-81s around, you just gotta look in backyards and drive ways...like the GTOs and Trans-Ams of earlier years hid out.

Old 08-05-2005, 03:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I like them too. Built an 85GP with a solid roller 400 E headed motor, 700R4, 4.11 12bolt and is a lot of fun to drive.

Old 08-15-2005, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79GP6.6L
All they need is a decent engine! I agree on the vinyl top issue... no thanks. I've been told that the 78-80 models are the lightest of the bunch. Can anyone confirm that?
My 1980 weighs about 3200 pounds according to PHS.

Old 08-22-2005, 08:00 PM

Had a 79 LJ way back when. Black with sun-roof and red "fluffy" interior. My buds said it looked like Dracula's coffin...They were right! The 301 in it was a complete dog. I would love to drive that car with an early 455 or any thing other than that 301 ...What were they thinki'n....Anyway I loved that car. Why did I sell it?... I was a PUNK-DUMBASS then...trying like hell to make up for it now...Heimycvg