Old 05-17-2005, 09:51 AM

The restoration of my 4-speed 71 GP is well underway. The portion of the console through which the shifter extends, is a material that looks to be somewhere between flocking and a rubber spray-on coat. Mine is usable shape, but really needs to be redone to match the resto of the the rest of the car. Anyone know what that material is, if it is available in a rattle can, or is there some shop that you can recommend that can redo to like new.

Thanks ....

Denny

Old 06-01-2005, 06:18 PM
Senior Chief

Denny,

I have no clue about the question you asked, but is your car a factory '71 4-speed? My resources indicate only 116 manual trans GPs were made for '71. Does it have a dash tach by any chance, and if so, does it light up blue/green at night like the gauges and speedo?

Thanks and good luck with the resto.

Eric H.

1971 T-37 Laurentian Green/Sandalwood buckets
455/1971 #96 heads/TH400/3.31 12-bolt posi/4-wheel discs
Old 06-03-2005, 09:59 AM

Hi Eric...

Yes, my 71 GP is a factory 4-speed. I ordered the car new in San Luis Obispo, Ca and still own the car. It now has 120K miles on it and is currently fully stripped waiting for the paint shop in six weeks. My GP has the standard gauges, but does not have the tach in the dash. I really wanted the tach when I ordered the car but just couldn't afford it. I have seen a dash mounted tach in a '71 GP and the lighting appeared to be identical to the rest of the dash cluster.

Denny

Old 07-03-2005, 07:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If that is the same "rubberized" coating found on '69's, it's a bitch to restore. I know of no aftermarket aerosol coating that would produce the same finish. On mine, I ended up stripping to the chrome underneath and spraying with black lacquer. It was a strong enough finish to withstand scratches and looked great in gloss.

Old 09-03-2005, 10:14 PM

Default Console Coating

'69-'72 Grand Prix Console Trimplate finish:

Use Eastwood Battery Tray Coating. It's like a thin undercoating.

I've never been able to figure out what the factory used. It was like a primitive soft-touch paint.

Some people swear that theirs was flocked, others say it was rubbery.

Ken

Old 09-08-2005, 12:28 PM

I have an NOS one that is peeling and it is a rubbery coating...it has the appearance of flocking.