Old 05-17-2005, 02:38 PM

My 77 LJ has the Rally tuned suspension and came with a sway bar on the rear. However, the original owner removed it so he could get a better ride from the car. But he said that it handled so much better with the sway bar on. I like the GP's soft ride, but it could stand to be a little stiffer so I don't mind giving up some of the softness of the ride.

Any opinions here? Does the bar really make that much of a difference? The original owner said that it did.

I have the original sway bar from the car. I have the bar only, with no hardware. What do I need to put it back on?

Old 05-17-2005, 02:38 PM

My 77 LJ has the Rally tuned suspension and came with a sway bar on the rear. However, the original owner removed it so he could get a better ride from the car. But he said that it handled so much better with the sway bar on. I like the GP's soft ride, but it could stand to be a little stiffer so I don't mind giving up some of the softness of the ride.

Any opinions here? Does the bar really make that much of a difference? The original owner said that it did.

I have the original sway bar from the car. I have the bar only, with no hardware. What do I need to put it back on?

Old 05-17-2005, 07:48 PM
Senior Chief

Check your lower control arms, he may have left the hardware attached and put the bolts back in.

Wanted 1977 Can Am forgotten projects or parts cars, other 73-77 Pontiac A-bodys, also 4-speed setup for 73-77 GTO, Grand Ams, CA e-mail me shubedo1@yahoo.com with info. Buy Sell or Trade --------------------------------------
Old 05-18-2005, 12:18 AM

Will do, thanks.

Any opinions about the ride/handling differences between having the bar on or off? I am still going to put it on, and will find out for myself, but I am still interested to hear about other's experiences.

Old 05-18-2005, 06:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

On my GTO, I went from no rear bar to a 7/8" bar and noticed NO decrease in ride quality and a huge increase in cornering prowess. (With an old musclecar, prowess may not be the right word )

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:52 PM

Sounds good. I am going to put it back on. It should make a noticeable difference with some nis gas shocks on the front, although I am going to put air shocks on the back to clear the old school N-50X15" tires on the back (which won't help handling either but it looks so nice!).

Old 05-27-2005, 08:49 AM

Well a sway bar should NOT affect the ride . softness or hardness. The ride is usually taken up by the type of shocks and bushing condition in the suspension parts. urathane is a hard ride stock factory new bushing should give you back your quite soft ride. The sway bar just controls the left right turning sway of the body roll. If you really want that soft ride do your body to frame bushing all new that will make it feel like new again. That is where your shock is transmitted from the frame to the passenger compartment area. Good luck with her. Jim

JDRACE3@GMAIL.COM