Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 09:38 PM

Default I got burned on a tilt colmn from PY

I bought a tilt column for my 70 GTO from PY. I am trying to get my car ready for Cruising the Coast and don't have a lot of time to waste. I have a friend that runs a mechanic shop that will help me on my cars. He came over to install the column and when he tried to install the key cylinder, found that this column required a locking pin type retainer to hold the cylinder in place. The problem is, the retainer was not included with the column. We tore into 5 or 6 columns in my parts stash and in some of my cars and found that all of the old original columns don't have this retainer. We went to the GM dealership in town and found that this retainer was used on vehicles from 1982 to 1992. GM discontinued the part last year. I called PY and told them my dilemna and was told that they have sold hundreds of these columns and I am the only one to complain. I have done business with PY for years and have always been well taken care of and have always been very satisfied with their parts and service. I was shocked that they did not try to help me on this. I went to a friends shop and he gave me 3 columns from 80s Chevy Trucks to tear into to try to find a retainer. We are going to try again in the morning.The best I can determine is these columns are out of 80s GM cars rigged up to work in the older cars with the wiring harness changed. Be careful when buying these columns or better yet find an original column.

Old 10-04-2013, 05:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have noticed slight differences between repro and original lock cylinders which has caused a headache before, just a thought.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:43 PM

Try these guys for any and all steering column parts!
They have almost every odd ball part ya need.............
http://www.steeringcolumnservices.com/

Old 10-07-2013, 12:15 PM
PY Staff - Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercar View Post
I bought a tilt column for my 70 GTO from PY. I am trying to get my car ready for Cruising the Coast and don't have a lot of time to waste. I have a friend that runs a mechanic shop that will help me on my cars. He came over to install the column and when he tried to install the key cylinder, found that this column required a locking pin type retainer to hold the cylinder in place. The problem is, the retainer was not included with the column. We tore into 5 or 6 columns in my parts stash and in some of my cars and found that all of the old original columns don't have this retainer. We went to the GM dealership in town and found that this retainer was used on vehicles from 1982 to 1992. GM discontinued the part last year. I called PY and told them my dilemna and was told that they have sold hundreds of these columns and I am the only one to complain. I have done business with PY for years and have always been well taken care of and have always been very satisfied with their parts and service. I was shocked that they did not try to help me on this. I went to a friends shop and he gave me 3 columns from 80s Chevy Trucks to tear into to try to find a retainer. We are going to try again in the morning.The best I can determine is these columns are out of 80s GM cars rigged up to work in the older cars with the wiring harness changed. Be careful when buying these columns or better yet find an original column.

Hey guys,
We are working with the supplier on the issue above and here is what i know so far on the columns that PY offers. The guy who rebuilds these is running out of tops for a lot of the applications so he uses tops from later 70's that are still readily available and he is suppposed to include the lock cylinder for that application in with them. If for some reason he does not put one in with the column they modify ALL columns with a hole and a slot so the customer can still use his original lock cylinder.

Closed Thread