Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 12:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yes, thats correct Formulajones. My question is about the oil temperature. What does that mean?

Old 06-24-2019, 12:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Since the engine was full of oil, the guy setting up the engine didn't install the oil temp probe. It has to go into the drain plug hole.

First dyno pull was with one of Jeffs carbs built for another guys engine. This second dyno sheet was with the carb Jeff built specifically for this engine. First dyno was in the fall when temps were cool. Last pulls were done in the heat of summer.

520-409-7236
Koerner Racing Engines
You killed it, We build it!
520-294-5758

64 GTO, under re-construction, 412 CID, also under construction.
87 S-10 Pickup, 321,000 miles
99Monte Carlo, 293,000 miles
86 Bronco, 218,000 miles
Old 06-24-2019, 12:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Nutshell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
So in a nutshell, from what I understand, in the last dyno session, they were able to use the carb that Jeff built specifically for your combo.
In a nutshell the OP doesn't know how much torque or HP the engine originally made "as delivered". Paul never shared that info. He did post that it made 517 HP, with the 870, "BEFORE" it got jetted up. Can't read numbers in the you tube vid after jetting. Only dyno printout the OP got was what the engine was "capable of" with a Jeff carb.

What it can do VS. what you've got didn't make any sense back then and still doesn't to me. You'ld think what the customer paid for would be more important.

Sheets posted now show power is down (way down in some areas) with the new Jeff carb compared to the first Jeff carb. That tells me the new "specifically for your combo" carb isn't doing what it was suppose to do.

Clay

Old 06-24-2019, 12:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtofreek View Post
First dyno was in the fall when temps were cool. Last pulls were done in the heat of summer.
I don't understand that. When numbers are "lower" on a thermometer here in GA it means temps are cooler. Old dyno sheet shows 85°F and the new one shows 83°F. Baro close enuff but it was less humid this time.

IDK
Clay

Last edited by "QUICK-SILVER"; 06-24-2019 at 12:55 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-24-2019, 01:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Maybe there was a mix up at the dyno shop. On the most recent dyno sheet he listed my carburetor as an "850 Brawler" but it should have been dyno'd with Jeff's carb. Me not knowing about cars I googled "850 cfm Brawler carburetor" and this came up. Maybe it was dyno'd with an 850 Brawler by accident. My name is on the 2nd dyno sheet as well!

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...parts/BR-67201

- He may have to think of nicknames for carburetors that aren't really carburetors.

I noticed that the date of the 2nd dyno said October of 2018. My motor was in Virginia at that time. I spoke to the dyno guy this weekend and he said the battery for his computer that keeps the date and time must have been dead but the rest of the computer was able to produce the readings of the second dyno. He said he was going to go back and change the date for me! I have no idea how a dyno machine keeps date and time. Is it like every other computer?

Old 06-24-2019, 02:32 PM

I imagine the Dyno computers are just windows computers with CMOS batteries (think the little disk batteries in your keyfob). If you have a power outage or pull the plug, it will reset the bios and the clock. There are plenty of little free programs out there to keep time, or even set windows to do it automatically.

Va68goat, when is the motor going back in? Have you worked out a date yet?

Old 06-24-2019, 02:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtofreek View Post
Since the engine was full of oil, the guy setting up the engine didn't install the oil temp probe. It has to go into the drain plug hole.

First dyno pull was with one of Jeffs carbs built for another guys engine. This second dyno sheet was with the carb Jeff built specifically for this engine. First dyno was in the fall when temps were cool. Last pulls were done in the heat of summer.
^^^^^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by "QUICK-SILVER" View Post
In a nutshell the OP doesn't know how much torque or HP the engine originally made "as delivered". Paul never shared that info. He did post that it made 517 HP, with the 870, "BEFORE" it got jetted up. Can't read numbers in the you tube vid after jetting. Only dyno printout the OP got was what the engine was "capable of" with a Jeff carb.

What it can do VS. what you've got didn't make any sense back then and still doesn't to me. You'ld think what the customer paid for would be more important.

Sheets posted now show power is down (way down in some areas) with the new Jeff carb compared to the first Jeff carb. That tells me the new "specifically for your combo" carb isn't doing what it was suppose to do.

Clay
I think you're looking at it backwards Clay or there is a misprint. Either way, As you can see Paul confirmed exactly what I remembered Paul told me. The carb specifically built for the combo is doing better than anything tested to this point. It's pretty common for Paul and Jeff to swap some carbs around for customers to show the differences and show what Jeff can do. Usually that means they use one that is available at that particular time that is tailored to another engine to give the customer an idea. Even with that said, many times they still produce better results than anything you pull out of a box.

Paul is a modest guy and won't brag, but I'll say it. Jeff is likely one of the best Holley carb guys in the country and I've been lucky enough to meet him. Super nice guy. He built Holley's for a few of the Nascar Cup teams before they went fuel injection and also ran his own Holley business throughout the 70's if I remember correctly. I wouldn't hesitate to run Jeff's carbs on my stuff..

Last edited by Formulajones; 06-24-2019 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

proximity_alrt,

The motor is in my garage now. I've never dropped a motor and bolted it in before so I think it's best for me to wait until one of my buddies help me. Hopefully we'll get this thing running in a few weeks!

As for the dyno...I have no idea what went wrong. The date and time is wrong, the rpm numbers are off the page, I was told the dyno guy makes up names for Jeff's carbs but apparently there is such thing as a 850 Brawler, the oil temperature gauge wasn't hooked up, it seems like the last dyno numbers are much different then the dyno run in September of 2017. Hell, I have no idea how to even read the dyno sheet.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here's a clearer version of the dyno sheet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NEW dyno pg 2 copy.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	514774   Click image for larger version

Name:	NEW dyno pg 1.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	514775  

Old 06-24-2019, 09:45 PM

Took me a while going back and forth but I see the second pull definitely made more power. The first pull had more peak torque. Should be a tire-fryer for sure!

It would be nice if they exported all the results to excel or comma separated values for you. That would make it much easier to compare.

Old 06-24-2019, 11:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va68goat View Post
proximity_alrt,

The motor is in my garage now. I've never dropped a motor and bolted it in before so I think it's best for me to wait until one of my buddies help me. Hopefully we'll get this thing running in a few weeks!

As for the dyno...I have no idea what went wrong. The date and time is wrong, the rpm numbers are off the page, I was told the dyno guy makes up names for Jeff's carbs but apparently there is such thing as a 850 Brawler, the oil temperature gauge wasn't hooked up, it seems like the last dyno numbers are much different then the dyno run in September of 2017. Hell, I have no idea how to even read the dyno sheet.
I wish we lived closer, Joe. I would come over and get that engine in this weekend.

69 Judge convertible........clone! Carousel red, parchment, hideaways, TH400, 10" Continental 3200 stall, 12 bolt with 3.42, 469 c.i. with ported #48's, ported cast iron intake, Cliff's Q-Jet and ported 2-1/2" Ram Air manifolds.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dyno dyno dyno... yadda yadda yadda.

Get that thing to a track. That's the only dyno that means anything. If you never intend to race it, then who cares what that dyno sheet says? Get it tuned well and enjoy driving it. Dyno sheets are for bench racing.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
Dyno dyno dyno... yadda yadda yadda.

Get that thing to a track. That's the only dyno that means anything. If you never intend to race it, then who cares what that dyno sheet says? Get it tuned well and enjoy driving it. Dyno sheets are for bench racing.
This!

Get the motor in, running and just go enjoy it.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:29 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

craigs69,
Thanks. I'm really hoping to have this thing on the road soon.

Will,
Hahaha..No, this won't be going to the track. It's just a fun street car. Who knows, maybe one day I'll see what it can do but for now, bench racing it is.

krisr,
I agree. It's been over 2 1/2 years dealing with this motor. I think it's finally time to enjoy!

Old 06-26-2019, 12:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I will never race mine either but with Paul’s cam help, my expert local machinist, and butlers rotating assembly and ported round port heads I should have a hell of a machine. My machinist/engine assembler said looking at the parts and the cam specs 600 ft/lbs is not off the table

Old 06-26-2019, 06:27 AM
Senior Chief

Awesome build. That thing is sure to break some dumb kids heart that thinks his mustang/camaro is the fastest thing around.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:14 AM

For anyone who's interested, I made a spreadsheet where you can see the differences in the two pulls and where the increase was (pretty much from 3000-5200).
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Old 06-26-2019, 12:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by "QUICK-SILVER" View Post
I don't understand that. When numbers are "lower" on a thermometer here in GA it means temps are cooler. Old dyno sheet shows 85°F and the new one shows 83°F. Baro close enuff but it was less humid this time.

IDK
Clay

I asked dyno guy about this. The temp probe is temp in the dyno room. The engine pulls air from outside, through the air meter in the ceiling, not dyno room air.

520-409-7236
Koerner Racing Engines
You killed it, We build it!
520-294-5758

64 GTO, under re-construction, 412 CID, also under construction.
87 S-10 Pickup, 321,000 miles
99Monte Carlo, 293,000 miles
86 Bronco, 218,000 miles
Old 06-26-2019, 03:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

proximity_alrt,

Thank you for taking the time to do that spreadsheet. It certainly makes is easier to read. Any idea what caused the drop in power from 1,600 to 3,000? As I said before, this is just a fun street car. Actually, I've never owned a car with this amount of power. I'm pretty sure this is more than enough for me to have fun! Just wondering about the lower rpm power range loss.

Last edited by Va68goat; 06-26-2019 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Paul could explain it to you better than anyone, he built it and knows more about the details and differences between the two dyno sessions.

Closed Thread