Old 02-29-2024, 06:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Front seat belt question.

Working on a 73 SD interior. The inner seat belt on the driver side has a vinyl covering over the webbing that is not in great shape. Seems simple enough so far. But it appears 73 cars are unique as far as these coverings and the belts in general. Can't find any reproduction covers listed. I imagine any used ones will be shot. What are you 73 owners doing? Thanks for the help. Fortunately, they are black and standard interior.

Old 03-01-2024, 12:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Unless SnakeOyl has a solution, I dont have any Ideas.. Good luck.
https://www.ssnake-oyl.com/

Old 03-01-2024, 02:17 AM

You may also want to add a pic. The amount of times guys might recall they had similar in their spares box that came with the car and not really know what it came off. Or they may have ideas for something similar and who has it.

Old 03-01-2024, 09:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red80TA View Post
You may also want to add a pic. The amount of times guys might recall they had similar in their spares box that came with the car and not really know what it came off. Or they may have ideas for something similar and who has it.
That's a great idea. The car is in storage in a dark area. I will try to light the interior and get a few decent pics.

For the 73 Firebird/TA experts. Is it true that the 73 seat belts are unique to that year only? Also are Camaro belts the same or different for 73 with standard interior? Just trying to determine my options. Thanks.

Old 03-01-2024, 10:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

73 is unique. They are also notorious for 'exploding' buttons on seat belt.
Not sure if camaro same.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 03-01-2024, 12:59 PM
Senior Chief

I think late 72 is the same as 73 as well.

Old 03-01-2024, 01:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

LATE '72 model F-body seat belts are different than '73 F-body seatbelts. Both model years of F-body seatbelts were made by Irvin & used the exact same plastic sleeve on the inboard front female belt. Good luck finding donor front Irvin belts to remove these from.

There are aftermarket molded plastic sleeves that are avail to replace the broken original sleeve. The most common style has two parallel ribs along the length of the molding. The bottom area is also shaped different. personally, I don't like the looks of them, & have had several different reproduction molded sleeves in my hands.

Performing a serious preservation, or a cutting edge Concours restoration, one will be forced to find a LATER MODEL inner seat belt & remove the molded plastic sleeve, & modify it. That is what I'm doing on the inner front belts on my late '72 T/A belts. Am also going to do the same on the original fron belts for my '73 BG 4spd T/A project. Am getting ALL of my seatbelt restorations finished this Summer, as my aunt's days of doing commercial upholstery (furniture) is coming close to an end.

Old 03-02-2024, 07:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well now I know why no reproduction parts are available for these belts. Great information Ol Pinion Head. The passenger side belt is in good condition, so at least I know what it's supposed to look like. Only little piece of info left is whether a Camaro is the same in 73. That would give me allot more choices in the used world. May end up being something the next owner will have to deal with.