Old 11-10-2015, 10:38 AM
Senior Chief

Default 69 G/P Trunk Mat and Side Panels

I've owned my 69 G/P since 1973 and it still had the original trunk mat and side panels at that time. If it matters it was an October 1968 build The mat was a felt material with a thin foam rubber backing. The side panels were just cardboard and going by my memory were a charcoal color. They did not have the felt material on them.

Several years ago I purchased a new trunk mat and side panels from Ames. They were advertised as being the correct material and color. When they arrived it was easy to see that the material wasn't the same as the "factory" installed mat. The side panels had the same "incorrect" felt covering instead of being just charcoal colored cardboard. However because my original mat and panels were in such bad condition I decided to use what Ames sent me.

A week of two ago while cleaning the trunk I noticed that the mat has started to wear (become fuzzy/hairy) and I got to thinking that I'd like to get the "correct" material. Having recently received a catalog from OPGI I looked at their mat which was also described as being the correct material and color. Instead of just ordering I called them and inquired if they could send me a small sample of their material. Late last week the sample arrived and again it's not correct.

Last night I was looking on the internet and every website said that they had the correct material. Has anyone found a good vendor for a factory correct trunk mat and cardboard side panels for a 1969 Grand Prix? Does a 1969 GTO use the same mat and does anyone make a "correct" trunk mat for them?