Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-23-2012, 11:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Does that mean I shouldn't powder coat mine in neon orange, green, and pink?
Russ

Old 02-24-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russosborne View Post
Oh, my alternator will be different, so I will have to see what happens there. Electric radiator fan, fuel pump, stereo, etc. So I have to go with a larger output alt. I bought a CS 130 from a Cadillac last year already with a serp belt pulley, but I didn't think about the rotation issue, so not sure if that one will work. Something I just need to sit down and play with.

Russ
What's the rotation issue with the cs 130?

Old 02-24-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dblnkldude View Post
Nice work man! You are doing alot of research for others to do this who cant afford a 1000 dollar march system. It must have taken alot of time. But its car crafting at its finest!!!!
Thanks!
It did take a while. I started collecting pulleys bout 4-5 years ago but hadnt had the chance to start messing with the idea till this winter. The problem now is I couldnt remember where most of them came from. Before I assemble it permanently I will post close-up pics of each pulley so others can be sure they are getting the right ones.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The alternator shouldn't care which way it spins. It's just crossing lines of flux.

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 02-24-2012, 09:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieT/A View Post
The alternator shouldn't care which way it spins. It's just crossing lines of flux.
True, but what about the rotation of the cooling fan.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmo View Post
What's the rotation issue with the cs 130?
Isn't this question pertaining to the alternator?

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 02-24-2012, 11:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Should have been more specific, I was referring to the alternator cooling fan.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Subscribing, excellent work! Ditto on the anti-ufo comment as well. Someone did work on a march alternative but they never got past their one off set up. Search for something JC455 was posting I think.

68 Firebird, trying a q-jet now. 434/10.5:1/997's/240-242 HFT/4L80E/2800 Yank/3.42's/ Vintage Air/ 13.0 @105 mph
70 Lemans, 350/350, A/C, mostly stock
14 Ram CC, 5.7 Hemi, 8-speed, 3.92 lsd
97 Trans Am, HPP Aug 2012 http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...tiac_trans_am/ ***Sold***
Old 02-24-2012, 12:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ahh! Good point. I think the first thing I would do is speak with a local alternator/starter rebuilder to see if there an application with counterclockwise rotation and if so possibly adapt the fan to the CS 130. If not there are a lot of small aircraft that use alternator similar to automotive.
The other option would be to idle it to reverse the rotation.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My plan was to use alt,P/S pulley and A/C pulley from a LT1 chebby motor. I use a R4 compressor set up from an 81 turbo TA anyway. They come with V or serp so thats easy. My issue was the crank pulley. But Jimmo has clued me in on the Ford and just turning it on a lathe to open up the balancer hole and redrill. Great idea Jimmo!!! W/P is easy cause you just need to redrill. The W/P flange is just pressed so you adjust by moving the flange in and out. I would idle the W/P to get correct rotation. If the crank pulley depth is correct should be able to work it out.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

re the cs-130 style alt. I don't know if they are bi directional capable or not. They have electronics in them that seem to be easily damaged. That is my concern. Something I need to find out more about.
Russ

Old 02-24-2012, 06:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The alternator doesn't care which way it turns but the fan could be of concern.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russosborne View Post
Oh, my alternator will be different, so I will have to see what happens there. Electric radiator fan, fuel pump, stereo, etc. So I have to go with a larger output alt. I bought a CS 130 from a Cadillac last year already with a serp belt pulley, but I didn't think about the rotation issue, so not sure if that one will work. Something I just need to sit down and play with.

Russ

I was staring at my motor trying to come up with something... Being that you are removing your mechanical fuel pump, this leaves a lil extra room down there. If you ca move your power steering unit up and to the outside you might have enough space to mount your alternator beneath it were the fuel pump used to be. There might be enough space without moving the power steering. Then, looking at the front of the motor, your belt can run up from the left side of the crank, over the water pump, down under the alternator, back up over the power steering, then back down to the crank.
this would spin the alt counter clockwise.
It seems like a lot of fabricating but its definitely possible. It all depends on how much your heart is set on that alternator.
Oh, Im just kind of a hobby machinist. I repair old equipment that ya cant get parts for anymore so I have to fabricate stuff pretty often.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:33 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks.

I think it will start making more sense once I sit down and start playing with it. So far I am just trying to do it in my head.

I really need to start a "to do" list for this car. Otherwise I tend to go at it a bit willy nilly. I actually think I may have some concentration issues, I tend to get distracted and off track too often.

Russ

Old 02-25-2012, 09:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

document the project with lots of photos.

Post 14 the photo of the AC pump the way the line loops out. will that cause interference
with the valve cover? If so there are adapters out there to convert the to AN or
"O" ring type fittings. Another suggestion, convert to a Sanden compressor.

Last edited by Ollie; 02-25-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
document the project with lots of photos.

Post 14 the photo of the AC pump the way the line loops out. will that cause interference
with the valve cover? If so there are adapters out there to convert the to AN or
"O" ring type fittings. Another suggestion, convert to a Sanden compressor.
Will do! If ya see anything that sparks questions, please ask as sometimes I tend to skim over some important details.
As for the AC, I was on the fence about which compressor to use. The sanden is very popular and I was going to use that originally but after messin around I realized in order to line up the pulleys I would have to mount it on the side or above the head and need a much longer belt and more idlers to keep the belt from flappin around. That wouldnt be a bad thing as a lot of factory and aftermarket set-ups are like that but I also like keeping the compressor in front of the head as access to plugs and wires is convenient.
The way the line loops out in the photo looks close but it actually does not interfere.
Im in the garage workin on it now

Old 02-25-2012, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

R4 compressors were factory mounted on a few 400's in '78 Bonnevilles. Very tough side bracket to find. The 301's R4 side bracket can be shimmed up with washers or one can make an alum spacer. Personally, the blow chow aesthetics of the way the lines come off the Sandeen compressor will keep me in the A6 & R4 camp

Old 02-25-2012, 12:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Vintage Air offers this bracket to mount a Sanden compressor on a Pontiac engine
http://www.vintageair.com/DownloadsS...%20PONTIAC.pdf
Sanden offers large selection pf head port configurations. # 7 on the list is the head for the GM hose fitting.
http://www.polarbearinc.com/PBPC/hom...oduct_SHA.html

Last edited by Ollie; 02-25-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Take a look through this thread...
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...highlight=serp

Old 02-26-2012, 06:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

and this