Senior Chief

Default 74 GTO Bumpers

Does anyone know where i can get a good front and rear bumper or a bumper
re-chrome business new B'ham AL?
Thanks
T

Old 08-25-2014, 09:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm at the point of just ordering fiberglass bumpers and have them chrome wrapped!
I just picked up another set of front and rear bumpers locally for the impact strips and the chrome is decent but unlike the strips I have on the wires car, this front bumper had the bumperettes on it and for some reason the strips were cut apart under them so I have to run the ugly bumperettes.
At around $400 a piece on the low side to get them rechromed, I'll be money ahead buying fiberglass ($205 a piece) and have them wrapped. (quoted about $200-$250 to do both)

Old 08-26-2014, 07:35 AM
Senior Chief

Default Bumpers

Thanks Rob,
I also have the bumperettes on my GTO as well and yes i have the strips cut for them also. I've looked into getting the bumpers re-chromed and they are the expense for some reason they want to charge about the same price for them to re-chromed as the bumpers. The expense is just out there these days for re-chroming but if you want the bumpers to look decent they have you between a rock and a hard space. I'm thinking of just getting mine powder coated and be done with it.
I thought i would just check around first to see if i could find a decent set someone had laying around..

T.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Check into vinyl wrapping. Just about anything can be wrapped these days. For the fiberglass bumpers, thats the way to go. Probably would work well on steel bumpers too. Once you gut them from the reinforcement, they only weigh about 8 lbs.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:32 AM

I have had good luck with Tri City Plating in Tennessee 1-800-251-7536. I thought that they were reasonable

Old 08-27-2014, 09:20 AM
Senior Chief

Default Bumper

You guys want believe it!!
I found a brand new OEM front bumper with guards and rubber strip from a guy in Penn.
shipped to my door $367.00.
The guy pulled it off of his 74 GTO when he bought it years ago to reduce weight for drag racing.. Got pretty lucky on that one...
Thanks again guys I really appreciate it.
Getting ready to put in a TKO 600 tranny in next to replace the M21 Muncie.
That was another lucky find. Brand new when i got it. It may have 100 miles on it.
I'll looking to get rid of it soon as well..
Again guys thanks for the info..
T.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:25 AM
Senior Chief

Default 74 GTO

Oh i forgot to mention..... He has the hood, shaker, and all the components to go with the 2 for a complete shaker setup as well. I do believe it is a $750.00 OBO...
Just in case someone is looking for the complete setup....
Cya
T.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If your going to run the guards and the front impact strip is a one piece instead of the three piece. Would you be interested in trading? The bumper on the wifes car has my old one piece strip and I'd like to find another one like that. Trying to keep both hers and mine looking the same. (without the guards)

Old 08-29-2014, 02:51 PM
Senior Chief

Default Bumper

Rob,
If it is the one piece strip I'll keep you in mind. I do plan on running the guards since i have them on the car as we speak. Trying to keep as much to factory as possible.
according the the guy i bought them from it was put away as a unit hood, shaker, front and rear bumpers when i purchased the car several yrs ago. When i looked at the pics he had they looked brand new.. They also looked like the 3 piece set but until i have them in hand i will not know for sure.. I'll keep an eye out also for the one piece unit for ya if this is not one...
later
Terry

Old 08-29-2014, 03:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by a95toy View Post
Rob,
If it is the one piece strip I'll keep you in mind. I do plan on running the guards since i have them on the car as we speak. Trying to keep as much to factory as possible.
according the the guy i bought them from it was put away as a unit hood, shaker, front and rear bumpers when i purchased the car several yrs ago. When i looked at the pics he had they looked brand new.. They also looked like the 3 piece set but until i have them in hand i will not know for sure.. I'll keep an eye out also for the one piece unit for ya if this is not one...
later
Terry
Thanks! I appreciate it!

Old 04-05-2015, 11:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by a95toy View Post
You guys want believe it!!
I found a brand new OEM front bumper with guards and rubber strip from a guy in Penn.
shipped to my door $367.00.
The guy pulled it off of his 74 GTO when he bought it years ago to reduce weight for drag racing.. Got pretty lucky on that one...
Thanks again guys I really appreciate it.
Getting ready to put in a TKO 600 tranny in next to replace the M21 Muncie.
That was another lucky find. Brand new when i got it. It may have 100 miles on it.
I'll looking to get rid of it soon as well..
Again guys thanks for the info..
T.
How is that TKO install coming along? Keep us updated. I am thinking of going that route with my '74.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:39 AM
Senior Chief

Default NO TKO

Well I was going for the TKO but a Richmond Six speed jumped in my lap. Brand new in the box for the same price as a TKO 600. At the moment building the 455ci roller motor to go in front of it. Got the last part I needed Sat. going to start the build this week...It is going to be fun LOL..
Terry