Old 01-13-2020, 09:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

10 4 thanks.

This is a timely thread as I'm spraying Zolatone tomorrow.

I sprayed some black SPI epoxy last night and plan to spray the black/aqua Zolatone tomorrow night (2 day recoat). SPI primer has a 7 day recoat so should be good.

I hope it hides well! I only have the one quart and can't get more up here until spring.

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
Old 01-14-2020, 08:28 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Where did you buy the Zolatone. And how long ago?
I was told by numerous sources it’s no longer made

Old 01-14-2020, 08:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDirtRoad View Post

Believe it or not, I bought it from Ames back in 2014...they no longer carry it.

I was worried that it would have gone bad but just finished spraying it and it looks very good, I am quite pleased.

The can had a Zolatone label and part # was ZT-20-TS02 which is black/aqua. As others have mentioned, Parts Place seems to sell the same product under their own brand as PP-20-TS02.

Even though my can was almost 6 years old, I gently stirred it according to the instructions (very important, follow them!) and did not seem to have any chunks after I mixed for 5 minutes.

I used a Vapor HVLP gravity fed gun with 2.3mm tip at 60 PSI for the sheer coat. I had a few issues with it clogging but that cleared up after a while.

I then opened the spray valve and lowered the pressure to 30 PSI and sprayed the pattern coat.

It was a good idea to spray black epoxy first, it really helped the Zolatone hide well.

I used almost a full quart, I have maybe 3 tablespoons left over and what I used was enough to do the trunk, back of the back seat frame, quarters/wheel wells, and 3 sides of a 16"x16" subwoofer box I built.

I am sure that a quart is enough for an A body trunk provided you spray a black epoxy under it first.

It is very difficult to capture how dark it is, my camera makes it look gray but it is definitely black.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5637.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	528849   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5638.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	528850   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5640.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	528851  

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
Old 01-16-2020, 04:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDirtRoad View Post
As mentioned, it is relabeled and sold by TPP

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Old 01-24-2020, 08:22 PM

Default Zolatone trunk spatter update

This thread has me digging deeper in the availability of Zolatone. I work for Sherwin Williams Automotive and thought it would be easy to get it since the Valspar acquisition. It was not and at the time I just bought The Parts Place relable.
An associate did find the right Zolatone rep and has the needed info to order it. We need to order case quantity which is six qts.

If there is enough interest in any one color, I can have a case ordered and give those interested the contact info to order it by the qt.
If anyone would like to order a case, I can give you the closest SW Automotive branch to order direct. Just PM me with your zip code and I will get you that contact info.

The three color choices are;

ZT-20-TS01 Gray/Black
ZT-20-TS02 Black/Aqua
ZT-20-TS03 Gray/White

For more info the website is;
https://www.quest-ip.com/trusted-brands/zolatone/

Click on Zolatone MSDS for technical data

Terry

Old 01-24-2020, 11:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Terry, that is awesome. Last year I was trying my best to locate some Black/Aqua and kept being told it was obsolete and not available. If my Raleigh branch can't get me a case, I'll be in touch.
Thanks, Steve

Old 01-25-2020, 01:04 AM

Steve,
Your branch may have some trouble finding it also. I can talk to them directly if they balk at it. One of our best tech rep/trainers is from your area, Manny Brooks. Definitely a quality guy. He would Know the Raleigh branch personnel and help us out too.
Terry

Old 01-25-2020, 08:39 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I think we are all over thinking this .
If it’s still available by the case only then I suspect this exactly how Parts Place now has thus correct paint.
I just bought a quart from them and it’s the exact same paint as the Zolatone. It now comes in a metal quart can and not the plastic quart jug like they were selling years ago
The product in the plastic quart jug was water based and not very good as needed a clear coat
The product in the metal quart can is petroleum based and drys hard as nails
I suspect Parts Place is buying cases and relabel them.
Why by a whole case when you can just buy a quart and it’s more then enough.

Old 01-25-2020, 10:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If I was doing just 1 car I would buy it by the quart.

Old 03-31-2020, 05:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Has anyone been able to duplicate the spatter technique used at Lordstown, Van Nuys and perhaps a few other plants?
From what I've read, Fisher Body applied spatter in 2 processes:
- Base (dark grey)
- Aqua Fleck

Not sure what type of paint was used for base and fleck but most say it was thick and shot from a pressure pot gun with large orifice nozzle.
Most all of the currently available spatter paint produces tiny little dots and not the stringy/cob-web effect.

Semper Fi