Old 03-20-2020, 01:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default A6 Compressor Seal

It's been a while since I heard anything on A6 compressor shaft seals. Is the current state-of-the-art still the same lip seal that's been sold for the past several years or is there a 'better' one out there now?

I've been holding off on doing my original '66 GTO compressor based on problems people have reported installing lip seals.

Old 03-21-2020, 09:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There is a double lipped seal that is used in the newer compressors that works better than the originals. https://www.shopcenturyautoair.com/s...2814mm%29.html That being said, you can still buy a new compressor from the original manfacturer, not a rebuild. It has all of the updates and the newer seal, and still looks and fits identical. They do not stock them, but will build you one. I bought one, took about a month to get it, and was a little over $400. Cheap insurance for the money spent on all the other parts in the system. http://www.almaproducts.com/Transtar...ochure-(7).pdf

Old 03-21-2020, 03:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks Cardo!

I emailed Alma to see if they modified anything to accept a lip seal or if they use the V5 seal. I hate to replace the compressor only because it's the original one to the car and still functions well with no leaks other than a weepy shaft seal.

Old 03-21-2020, 09:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My original was seized up, so i had to go new or reman at least. That first link i sent you should take care of your problem. Look around on that Century Auto Air site, He has a video on there showing exactly how to rebuild that compressor.

Old 03-23-2020, 03:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Make sure you check the front shaft bearing/bushing. If it's worn, any seal will leak as the shaft wobbles

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk