Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-29-2020, 10:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Playing with the intake

I am in the middle of finishing up an engine swap in my 70 Judge....Everything pretty well has gone all right until I twisted and broke the fitting that was in front of the carb and connected to the PCV via 6 inches of hose. Snapped the fitting at the T (picture below) . After a few choice garage adjectives I realized I had a spare (in Brass). I went to install it and it didn't fit....3/8's NPT and my intake has 2 ports, one being 1/4 NPT and the other 1/2 NPT....

Checked my 2 other intakes and all the same.....I now have to take the intake off and drill and tap the hole to 3/8's .....SON OF A BI.....!

just needed to vent
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1391.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	535748   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1390.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	535749  

Old 03-29-2020, 11:33 PM

Default Temporary fix

Is the 1/2" port free? Could you use a 3/8x1/2 brass bushing in the 1/2" port to get it up and running until the correct fittng arrives?

Old 03-29-2020, 11:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah go to the hardware store and buy a $3 bushing and you're golden. I wouldn't even worry about replacing later unless you just don't like the way it looks.

69 Firebird-462/Edel round ports/currently running the Holley Sniper/4sp/3.23posi/Deluxe Int/pwr st/vintage air/4wl disc( a work in progress-always )

http://youtu.be/eaWBd3M9MN4
Old 03-30-2020, 12:23 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default That PCV fitting is unique & should be installed in the EXACT same location

The factory intake manifold is designed with a hole in that specific spot so that the crankcase fumes are shared between the two planes of the intake.

Thus that extra hole drilled into the length of the tube just below the threaded portion.

It's designed to bleed off fumes into one side and the hole on the bottom end of the tube is for the other side. That way there won't be 'over-dilution' of either intake plane. They will share the fumes fairly equally.

While you can put the fitting anywhere it will thread in, it really needs to be in that factory-designed spot to function at 100%.

Is it the 9799068 casting number intake on the engine? We might have a spare fitting we could trade you for the brass one.

Last edited by Joe's Garage; 03-30-2020 at 01:01 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe's Garage For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 11:14 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Garage View Post
The factory intake manifold is designed with a hole in that specific spot so that the crankcase fumes are shared between the two planes of the intake.

Thus that extra hole drilled into the length of the tube just below the threaded portion.

It's designed to bleed off fumes into one side and the hole on the bottom end of the tube is for the other side. That way there won't be 'over-dilution' of either intake plane. They will share the fumes fairly equally.

While you can put the fitting anywhere it will thread in, it really needs to be in that factory-designed spot to function at 100%.

Is it the 9799068 casting number intake on the engine? We might have a spare fitting we could trade you for the brass one.
Agree with above. You do not want PCV flow on just one "plane" of the "Dual Plane" Intake manifold.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the offer Joe's and the advice.....i have a buddy pulling an original one off one of his many stashed intakes.