THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-30-2020, 10:27 AM

Default DIY Convertible Tops Install hhmm??

Hey guys,
I need to put a new convertible top on my '65 GTO and I'm wondering if this is a job I can do myself and still have it look like it was done by a top professional shop. I'd like to hear from those of you that have done it, the advantages, disadvantages, the pluses, the minuses, etc. etc. Are there any videos or books that go step by step through the whole top replacement procedure? I don't have a problem buying the tools needed to do the job the right way. I did the entire frame-off restoration myself on this car, bodywork, mechanical all of it, it took me 2-1/2 years and I learned a lot and enjoyed every minute of it. You can PM me instead of posting if you like. Thanks for any help and ideas, Todd

Old 03-30-2020, 10:41 AM
Suspended

I have had many tops installed on various models of cars and 1 truck over the years. I have watched these guys do the job and its nothing I would recommend tackling. There is a lot involved. Its not as simple as throwing a new piece of vinyl over it. I'm sure there will be people posting that they have done it but from what I have seen, if you want it done right, its better to leave it to an expert.

Old 03-30-2020, 10:55 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

There are times that it is just better to pay the professional. This is one of them.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Radman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 11:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"I don't have a problem buying the tools needed to do the job"
The one thought that comes to mind...Buy 2 tops. The second one will look much better than the first!

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
The Following User Says Thank You to 694.1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 11:08 AM
Senior Chief

I did 95% of the work on my Firebird but when I get my Coronet's top replaced, I'm farming that one out.

'69 Firebird 400 - Goldenrod Yellow, 455 +.060, '6s-7' heads, Comp Cam 276AH-10 (51-309-4), TH400, Ford 9-inch w/3.08, 800cfm Q-jet, Stock Intake, Hooker Headers, Flowmasters
'68 Coronet 500 Convertible - Medium Gold Metallic, stock 318 +100,000 miles
Old 03-30-2020, 12:06 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 694.1 View Post
"I don't have a problem buying the tools needed to do the job"
The one thought that comes to mind...Buy 2 tops. The second one will look much better than the first!
LOL! And the tools don't make a mechanic (or an upholsterer)

Old 03-30-2020, 01:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

65',
I will be one of the respondents that has done this themselves, so I'll put in my two cents...
I have a 67 GTO. I also did the complete resto myself, so I figured why not do the top too. You don't need any special tools, but what came in super handy was the Fisher Body Manual. It lays out the complete installation in great detail. Fantastic resource. Not sure if there is one for 64-65 GTO's.
If you'd like to see a moderately detailed sequence of installation, check out my website (link on this message somewhere) and click on the "GTO Convertible Top Part 1" and also "Part 2".
Let me paraphrase a few things pertinent to your questions though:
The biggest deal on this, from my perspective, is that doing this type of job is WAY outside of what most folks are used to(fabric, staples, glue, etc.) so you need to adjust how your expectations are as you proceed with the installation. There are many steps where you sit back and think "this looks like absolute crud and nothing I'm doing is coming out right". So, the way to overcome it is you have to heap on a little more labor by re-doing steps 5 times to get it to come out right. And generally every step can be re-done if you don't like it.
The hardest thing for me was stapling the rear of the top to the tack strips for fewest wrinkles. I had to do this maybe 5 times. And even then it didn't look great. What they don't tell you is it isn't supposed to look great YET, (that's lack of experience there) but the following steps got it looking better and better and finally by the end it looked awesome. I'm glossing over it, but you get the idea.
If you're handy, and you ask the question "can I do this?", I say it's worth a shot...it's definitely do-able. As a final note, I used a KEE top brand...It was great quality. And I only bought one top!
Take a look at my pages, and let us know what you decide!
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Squid67GTOsm.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	535802  

The Following User Says Thank You to squidtone For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 01:40 PM

Dave squidtone, your information is more than I hoped to find, THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR POSTING! This is huge help in my making a decision to tackle this job. BTW you did a beautiful job on the top and your car looks Fantastic, great color!!!

Old 03-30-2020, 01:46 PM

Totally agree wiith Squid. Did a 68 Bird. Came out OK but wouldn't do it again. 2 weeks of hell. If you do, be sure to get a good staple gun and STAINLESS staples.

Old 03-30-2020, 02:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

google it..watch a couple you tube vids and jump in..just take your time..30 years ago i would have said no way, but with information at your finger tips id go for it..after all..every upholstery guy started somewhere...they all had to put their first top on..

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 03-30-2020, 03:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not a Pontiac, but I did the top on my '57 Mercedes 190SL. This was years ago before I had the internet. Not sure how yours works but the one I did had a wooden tack strip at the top back corner, above the rear window. Once installed it was pulled tight to that point and tacked into place. A piece of chrome trim covered that joint. The only problem I had was the area right behind the windows (think b pillar) that had a slight wrinkle at each side. I tried my hardest to get rid of them without luck. I did notice that every other car of the same make had the same wrinkle! If it were me, I would try it again, but I am a bit adventurous and cheap at the same time.

Old 03-30-2020, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I replaced the top on my '61 Bonneville convertible many years ago. It can be done by a DIYer but it is a lot of work getting it to fit correctly without wrinkles. The procedure was covered in my factory shop manual which helped a lot; if you have the factory manual for your car, check to see replacing the top is in there.

Old 03-30-2020, 05:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you've done the restoration on the rest of the car, it' is definitely something you can tackle. I did one on my '69 many years back. It came out pretty decent for my first attempt. Glad I did it, but the next top I needed done, I paid a pro!

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 03-30-2020, 06:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I did a couple of A bodies and a Fiat 850. Problem is some shops may not be much better than yourself at this task.

Old 03-31-2020, 02:08 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I did my '66 GTO back in the mid-80's and it's still in good shape; it's the red car with black top which I sold to Wangers 20 years ago. I think it's mandatory to have the Fisher Body manual. There's tons of detailed info in there, even showing how to make a pair of special tools (gauges to hold the rear bow in the proper position). I don't remember it being all that difficult, but it did take a while to accomplish. I was early 20's when I did it with no previous convertible top experience.

While the top was a difficult job, I remember the front bucket seats being significantly harder to reupholster than the top. I swore back then to never do seats again. Well, that lasted 5 years until I did the seats in my '66 hardtop. They were easier the 2nd time around.

Old 03-31-2020, 02:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I did my '69 LeSabre 20+ years ago. I would do it again without hesitation. Doesn't mean it was easy but I like doing things myself in my own workspace.
Back then, I ordered my top from a place called Hydro-Electric. They included a printout from the factory manual but what really helped was a copy of a magazine article that covered the process. Nowadays, I'm sure you could find better info on the net.
One thing I would be conscious of that I did not know then is to be prepared to replace any tack strips that are weathered and too soft to hold the staples well.