Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-08-2020, 12:47 PM

Default OIL PUMP PSI

I have a 1967 GTO with the engine out of it.

Back many moons ago when I started this project, the advice I got at that time was that for my stock 400, an 80psi oil pump would be a smart upgrade. So, many years ago, I purchased a Melling 10541:

https://butlerperformance.com/i-3164...h.html?q=10541

Now I'm not entirely convinced that the 80psi is the best choice.

I've read a lot of forums and it seems that the general consensus is that 80psi is unnecessary, and can even be harmful to a degree. Some people are of the opinion that it can put unneeded stress on the gaskets, can wear the cam/distributor gear prematurely as well as other parts, and will rob horsepower.

Just as I was coming to the point of considering buying a 60psi pump, I spoke to Dale from Melling tech who disagreed with all of this and said that the 80psi "shouldn't" cause any problems and the upgrade would be fine.

What do you guys think?

While I'm at it, let me ask a couple of other questions.

What is the best way to tack the pickup tube so it doesn't fall out or shift out of place? There seems to be a WIDE range of opinions on this.

Should I buy a hardened oil pump drive shaft? I think it could be cheap insurance. I'm looking at this one:

https://butlerperformance.com/i-2445...-opds-std.html

Any other advice?

Thanks for your help everyone!

SusieQ