THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Smoke Signals???

What is the deal with Smoke Signals magazine?? ON Facebook it sounds like Don K. is not going to be the editor.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

News to me!!

POCI.org
Old 07-24-2015, 10:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Without knowing what you're referring to it's difficult to say. Don is a member here, why don't you ask him?

Old 07-24-2015, 11:06 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default SS editor

According to several on Facebook, POCI has has voted Don K out as editor of Smoke Signals. The magazine was starting to get interesting. Wonder what direction POCI wants it to go?

Old 07-24-2015, 11:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

it says on Facebook that Tim Dye is the new Editor of Smoke. I wish Don well and thank him for his good work.
We'll see how Tim does, POCI helps finance his museum so, I can see how they are tied together.
So, another page turns in the history of POCI. Tim obviously, has the capability to do a great job. I wish him well with it and look forward to seeing his work..

These are jobs where there is when a time employment starts and when it stops. These are not lifetime deals. I amsure Don will still be involved with POCI in some capacity.

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11

Last edited by Steve Barcak; 07-24-2015 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:41 AM
PY VIP

By now most of you have heard that I was voted out as Editor-in-Chief of Smoke Signals and I am here to confirm that the Board of Directors voted in favor of Tim Dye, curator of the Pontiac-Oakland Museum and Research Center. He will be taking over for the October issue, meaning that September will be my last.

As most of you know, I live the Pontiac hobby and after 27 years in the magazine business, I think that I know what the hobby wants. With the loss of High Performance Pontiac last year, we embarked on a
program to unify the hobby under the POCI banner and grabbed as many writers from HPP and Pontiac Enthusiast as my budget could afford.

As a result, the POCI gained a net increase of about 1,100 members in the period from December to February, with two consecutive days registering 91 new members. It was very exciting.

On Wednesday, I delivered to the POCI Board what I considered to be the best single issue of a magazine that I ever produced, which is the August issue of Smoke Signals. You will soon see that one in the mail and I think that you will agree that it is a high water mark for the magazine. Unfortunately, the POCI Board of Directors saw otherwise and voted me out.

While I do not agree with their decision, I respect it. POCI President Merle Green told me that they were going in another direction. I only wonder what that will be. I wish the POCI well and will remain a friend of the club.

I am still under contract to POCI until October 1, 2015, so I will be diligently working on my last issue. After that, I will be making a very special announcement. Stay tuned!

Founding Editor-in-Chief, Poncho Perfection Magazine (October 1, 2015- present)
www.ponchoperfection.com
Contributing Editor: Collectible Automobile (1999- present)

Author:
"Grand Prix: Pontiac's Luxury Performance Car" (Released April 27, 2007)
"How to Restore Your Pontiac GTO" (Released July 15, 2012)
"Pontiac Concept and Show Cars, 1939-1980" (Release Date April, 2016)

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."
Old 07-24-2015, 11:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

Don himself just posted this is face book-

By now most of you have heard that I was voted out as Editor-in-Chief of Smoke Signals and I am here to confirm that the Board of Directors voted in favor of Tim Dye, curator of the Pontiac-Oakland Museum and Research Center. He will be taking over for the October issue, meaning that September will be my last.

As most of you know, I live the Pontiac hobby and after 27 years in the magazine business, I think that I know what the hobby wants. With the loss of High Performance Pontiac last year, we embarked on a
program to unify the hobby under the POCI banner and grabbed as many writers from HPP and Pontiac Enthusiast as my budget could afford.

As a result, the POCI gained a net increase of about 1,100 members in the period from December to February, with two consecutive days registering 91 new members. It was very exciting.

On Wednesday, I delivered to the POCI Board what I considered to be the best single issue of a magazine that I ever produced, which is the August issue of Smoke Signals. You will soon see that one in the mail and I think that you will agree that it is a high water mark for the magazine. Unfortunately, the POCI Board of Directors saw otherwise and voted me out.

While I do not agree with their decision, I respect it. POCI President Merle Green Jr. told me that they were going in another direction. I only wonder what that will be. I wish the POCI well and will remain a friend of the club.

I am still under contract to POCI until October 1, 2015, so I will be diligently working on my last issue. After that, I will be making a very special announcement. Stay tuned!

It sounds like he has something up his sleeve? Couldhe be starting up his own magazine? or bringing back one that was discountinued? He probably has the capability to do so. Well.... place your bets!

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11
Old 07-24-2015, 11:47 AM
Suspended

Wishing Don, Tim, and all in the POCI the best.

And thx to those many "unsung Hero's" working in the background to keep our Pontiac hobby alive.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So sorry to hear this,,, wishing Don & Tim all the best.

POCI.org
Old 07-24-2015, 01:34 PM

I joined POCI last year to replace High Performance Pontiac magazine, but to tell you the truth, I've never been able to warm up to Smoke Signals. I'm letting my membership lapse.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Shocking!!!!! I thought Don did an OUTSTANDING job with SS, it just kept getting better. I for one would LOVE to see him revive some form of Hi Perf Pontiac or Pontiac Enthusiast. It was a kick in the twins having them shut down, they were my favorites. Lucky for us Don is a Pontiaddict like us & I'm sure he will keep waving the banner. Don, I have a beer in the fridge with your name on it if you are ever in OC.

Old 07-24-2015, 03:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good luck on the new venture, Don!

Old 07-24-2015, 03:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don, Good Luck in whatever you do.

You have helped the Pontiac world over the years.

USPS Money Orders or Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart money gram wire transfer -preferred payments.

If Payment doesn't show up in 3-4 days, I move on to the next person that wants it.

Serious Inquiries Only - Shipping Isn't Free.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just...Wow.
Now Tim is definitely an over achiever but Don's issues just got bigger & better.
It has been a world class publication.
Thanks for everything you have done for POCI, Don.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Been a POCI member for many years and I think we members have a right to know what the "NEW" direction will or is intended to be.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:07 PM
Senior Chief

as a long time member of POCI I agree with bob vidan. I also thought Don did a great service to the mag.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Since Gettysburg here. I like what you have done Don for the hobby. I dislike that term 'another direction '.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB VIDAN View Post
Been a POCI member for many years and I think we members have a right to know what the "NEW" direction will or is intended to be.
Agree totally!!! Is this new direction what the board of directors wants or is it what the membership wants?? I thought Don was doing an outstanding job. Smokes was much better under his direction. Better articles, every aspect of smokes was refreshing & different. Guess we will have to wait & see how/what changes will be made. I wonder what this will do to future/current membership also.

POCI.org
Old 07-24-2015, 05:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sorry to hear this, just another questionable decision from POCI. Smoke Signals was 'alright' before Don arrived and then improved greatly during Don's tenure. Smokes is the main reason I've stayed in POCI all these years so we'll see what the future brings. Good luck, Don, hope to see you again somewhere in the Pontiac world.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

New direction, like they did with GMC?