67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 04-21-2020, 02:45 PM

Default Wilwood brakes

Hey guys, been off site for a bit, getting back into a project, I have a 1969 firebird and looking to update the brake system, I have done a little research and decided I would like to update to wilwood brakes, looking to see where the best place and price to buy them from, any names of shops would be greatly appreciated

Old 04-21-2020, 03:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

FYI,I ungraded the front discs on my 69 bird and could not tell one bit of diff.I wanted to retain my 15in wheels so could really not do a big upsize in rotor size.FWIW,Tom

Old 04-21-2020, 04:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Total stopping distance is more a factor of tire size and compound if the brake system has enough braking torque to lock up the wheels.

Going to large rotors and multi-piston discs doesn't change that. What does however change is repeatability. Those large rotors and aluminum calipers with stainless pistons will sink and shed much more heat, much faster than the drums. This means you get the same stopping power on your 5th panic stop over 2 miles as you do with the first. That's where you really want those nice breaks...plus they look cool.

If you know what you are after, it's probably going to be hard to beat the pricing from places like Summitracing, Jegs, Amazon etc. If you don't quite know what you want, I would highly suggest talking with Tobin at Kore3. While he doesn't really deal in Wilwood stuff, but instead Corvette based break upgrades, he's incredibly knowledgeable on how to create and setup a break system based on your needs, driving habits and wants. You may find that you can get everything you need and the look you want, without having to spend high prices on the Wilwood name.

If you're shopping on a bit of a budget and you want that name on your calipers, I would suggest putting together a kit yourself using factory type front and rear discs and source the brackets to use the 7" pattern single caliper GM pistons. Instead of using those old iron pistons, use the Wilwood D52 calipers. They mount right up in the factory location and their piston area works well with stock type disc/drum and disc/disc master cylinders.

This allows you to retain 15" wheels if you want and gives you a good bit more repeatability than the drum setup. It's more than adequate for your sunday mountain canyon cruise, and adequate for most non-competitive auto-x or road race activity when paired with a proper pad.

You also have the added benefit of having cheap and readily available replacement parts from the rotors to the calipers and pads.

Old 04-21-2020, 10:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I bought mine through a group buy back in 07 and have been very happy with them. Unfortunately that site is no longer around so I'm not much help with that. What I can do is provide a link to my install in hope that it helps.
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=512542

Old 04-22-2020, 11:25 AM

I just got the Wilwood 4-wheel big brake kits for my 66 GTO from Southwest Speed Inc. They sell online through their website and ebay. Communication was great, and shipping was ontime. The kits appear to be very complete, hoping to get started on the install soon.

Old 04-23-2020, 11:55 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I went with the 4 piston setup front & rear for my '73 TA. Then found out Wilwood now makes a 6 piston for the front with a 15 inch rim. Here is what it looks like.:

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=839167

Old 04-23-2020, 02:15 PM

Thanks guys for the tips and advise, I like the pics of your set-ups, gives me something to look forward to, I have contacted Wilwood and we have come up with a pretty good set-up now looking for the best place to purchase, will look at jeg's and summit, sometimes like to use the smaller guys that are willing to help