Old 05-12-2020, 09:39 PM

Question Race Trailer Side Running Lights Into Blinkers

So I tried finding something on this, but I didn't have any luck, so I thought I would pick at all your collective brains for this.

I was towing my 28FT trailer about a year ago entering the highway with my signals indicating my intentions to get into the lane, when a woman in the lane a few car lengths behind in the lane I was looking to move into, supposedly didn't see my blinkers and decided to just try and speed up and cut me off and kissed the side of the trailer leaving a noticeable crease.

Anyway, my thought was to check into whether I would be able to turn the existing 3 running lights on each side of the trailer into side blinking lights that would signal my intentions to drivers on the sides of me, without the lights turning on when I hit the brakes.
Basically just running lights and blinkers when needed.

Anyone ever try converting side marker lights into directional signals???

Old 05-12-2020, 10:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

There are lights like you want on the internet. Look up "Poison Spider 41-04-203 It is a rectangular LED that is a side marker and turn signal together.

Old 05-13-2020, 01:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've seen turn signal lights on fenders, maybe an option and easy to wire

Old 05-13-2020, 02:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The plug from your truck combines the left turn and left side brake lights. Same for right turn. So any light that's wired to display turn signal will also light up when braking. No big deal though....lots of trailers have side lights that do this very thing.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 05-13-2020, 04:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I owned a 71 Comet and the side markers 'blinked' when signals were applied. Side markers used a single filament bulb.
They do this by connecting one lead of the bulb to the running light and the other lead to the turn signal switch.
Side lights operate normally when running lights are on but turn off as the flasher can opens up the circuit when signals are applied.
This gives the impression that they are flashing when in effect they are just turning off and on.
The disclaimer is, I don't know if this can be used on a trailer.

Schematic is from a 72 Maverick.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1a92.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	540059  

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 05-14-2020, 04:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wired a set of rear led lights on each wheel well. Fully functioning and works well, especially at night.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lig...s/STL59RB.html

Turbo 535, CV 1 heads.

Built by Cerralli Competition Engines

Tenth Anniversary (Van Nuys) restored.
Tenth Anniversary Barn Find (Norwood)
Both 4 speeds!
Old 05-14-2020, 05:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

[QUOTE=OG68;6140664]I owned a 71 Comet and the side markers 'blinked' when signals were applied. Side markers used a single filament bulb.
They do this by connecting one lead of the bulb to the running light and the other lead to the turn signal switch.
Side lights operate normally when running lights are on but turn off as the flasher can opens up the circuit when signals are applied.
This gives the impression that they are flashing when in effect they are just turning off and on.
The disclaimer is, I don't know if this can be used on a trailer.

Schematic is from a 72 Maverick.

[/QUote

That's a very common schematic with all manufacturers. It makes the side marker blink opposite of the turn signal when the park/ headlamps are on
and requires no additional parts or costs. GM did the same thing.

Old 05-15-2020, 12:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default One problem with wiring something in similar to the diagram.....

If you use a similar connection but run the lead from the brake light / turn signal circuits, then every time you touched the brakes, the side markers would go out.

It works on the front signals and side markers because they don't get any power when you hit the brakes, only with the turn signals.

The ideal solution would be side marker lamps with two bulbs or a dual element bulb.

Good luck!

Old 05-15-2020, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I built a small off road military style trailer to pull behind my Jeep when I go camping or hunting.
It has these in the side of it. They are bright and work well and are cheap for a pair.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-Switchb...sAAOSwM7FcnWnI

66 GTO 389 3x2, 4 speed, 4.33 gear, Montero Red 33K original Miles
67 GTO 2dr Post, 428, Tri Power, 3.55 Gears
80 Trans Am Black SE Y84 W72 WS6