THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:01 AM

Default Scored my 15th Spring Gobbler

Now here is a guy's selfi Called two birds in together. This bird was 18lbs, 8 inch beard and 3/4 inch spurs. First time I went hunting in 5 or so years. Got him my third day out. Now I am taking my neighbor out for his first.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11127900_976011442432072_6317607241496325095_n.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	398108  

Old 05-18-2015, 09:11 AM
Suspended

Cool

Congrats on your hunt spoils and not breaking the camera! JK!

Great year to bag Turkey as news has been all about the mass nationwide slaughter of chicken and turkey by the commercial poultry farms due to (bird flu?) disease.
Yours will taste extra special all dressed out come Thanksgiving time!

Old 05-18-2015, 01:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've heard that once you taste a wild Turkey, no not the bottled kind, you'll never go back to a store bought bird.

Congrat5s on the score Mazz.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Congrats buddy

1968 Firebird Race Car,525 CU IAll looking for low 10 second passes!
1970 442, # Matching 455, 4 Speed W-25 hood
Old 05-20-2015, 11:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

we have about 30 that run up & down the street every couple weeks.
They dance & prance around the front yard & middle of the street. A female or 2 will hop the fence for the bird feed. The young ones too.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Since the coyotes have been around - I haven't seen a single turkey!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 05-20-2015, 08:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
Look up. They'll sit in a grove of pines on the branches just above your head as you walk threw. If you don't look up you'll never know they're there. There was a spot I go to to deer hunt up in Northern NY. I always walked threw this one patch of pine trees going in or out of my hunting spot. I looked up one day and almost crapped my pants. There were about 10 turkeys sitting above me in the branches just watching me pass by.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:47 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
That is a big reason why I coyote hunt. Since they showed up on the farm we hunt the turkey and deer population has been cut way down, as has the feral cat's the farmer relies on for rodent control. They are a real challenge as I and my hunting partner had to learn how to hunt them from trial and error but we're getting better at it. 8 coyotes taken during deer season and we haven't even started hunting them seriously yet as we were waiting for spring gobbler season to be over.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't hunt them, but get to listen to gobblers every morning when I let the dogs out. There are at least 2 or 3 of them on my property this time of year, they fly down at the crack of down and start trying to round up all the hens.

The coyote population here is increasing dramatically, but so far hasn't had a significant impact on the turkey and deer populations. They seem to eat more road-kill than anything else, guess that makes sense, why work for it?.........Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 05-21-2015, 07:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not sure I believe it, but the Fish & Wildlife Dept. guy here says that coyotes do not have much effect on the turkey population and may actually help it. They claim that the coyotes put pressure on the fox population, which eat more turkey. I still blast coyotes whenever they give me the chance, but thought I would relate that since it came from a "professional".

Congrats on your turkey. Here they are very wily critters and not at all easy to hunt. An old friend from rural NJ claimed they were easy to hunt there, but he also killed a 750# bear with a bow and was a guide in ME. Not sure if the old Marine was pulling my leg or not.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 05-21-2015, 08:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadhead View Post
Congrats on your turkey. Here they are very wily critters and not at all easy to hunt. An old friend from rural NJ claimed they were easy to hunt there, but he also killed a 750# bear with a bow and was a guide in ME. Not sure if the old Marine was pulling my leg or not.
I had to laugh reading that - around here they always seemed to be pretty dumb. 15 years ago my Portuguese tile installer went "hunting" for them in a subdivision I was building in one day. We could see him down the road driving his F-350 around like a wild man raising all sorts of dust up on the empty lots. When he came back we asked him what the hell he was doing - he said hunting.

He got three Turkeys & in his words (try to imagine this in a THICK Portuguese accent) "Two pretty good, one too smushed."

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 05-21-2015, 01:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Went on a spring gobbler hunt this year with a disabled hunting group and even though I came up empty handed two of the guys got some really nice birds, one had a double beard. Here is what they look like in SW Virginia.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bedfordgobbler2.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	398355  

Old 05-22-2015, 04:08 AM

Nice double beard. Never got a double one yet, but I did get a big one years ago. It weighed 25lbs. Took me 45 minutes to get him in. He would just walk back and forth the whole time. I almost gave up. I got him in a full strut mount. The taxidermist told me the bird was over 5 years old. He stands 33 inches tall at the top of his tail and only has one spur. I have a few others mounted but I lost most of my mounts in a fire. Called in another one last week for a friend but he got spooked. Happy Hunting!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20130924_202048.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	398414  

Old 05-22-2015, 10:20 PM

I had 2 males displaying over 4 females last Thursday right out my patio door. One male was smaller and lost. The big male won over the ladies. LOL By the way I love seeing nature like this, and even feed the critters.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 05-23-2015, 07:16 AM
Senior Chief

I was lucky enough to take a 21lb on may3, high in the mountains,actually wearing ice spikes on my boots ! Interesting thing,it must have ''crash landed'' sometime last year and had a stick grown into its wing. Bruce.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1192.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	398496  

Old 05-23-2015, 10:32 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Second day after the season ended I walked out on the deck and there were two gobblers roosted in a tree right at the edge of the woods by my lawn, I swear they and the bears around hear have calendars. I will have bear all around my property until about a week before bear season then they all magically disappear until the season is over. Been hunting here for 13 years and I have never seen a bear during legal shooting hours. I had one surprise me on the way back to the house after it got dark, we both freaked out as he was only about 20 yards away when we both saw each other. He sounded like a tank crashing through the woods. Maybe next year he will come in a little earlier. A guy can hope, right?