Old 02-24-2024, 11:53 AM

Default 1966 GTO Trunk W/S seam location...Help...

Looking for the 66/67 experts here to confirm the "Seam" location for a 1966 GTO Trunk Weatherstrip. Any markings or other info is welcome. Down to a short list on a Fontaine Blue, Black Interior, Tri-Power, 4 spd., 3:90
Thanks in advance for comments/help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1072.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	629272  

Old 02-24-2024, 01:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The seam goes in the middle in the rear in front of the latch.

Old 02-26-2024, 09:21 AM

Cardo, Thanks for your response.
In the 68+ GTO along with Camaro and Firebird the "Seam" was always offset and usually forward (I think) opposite the latch side. Marks were usually on factory W/S so the installer could line that up with center (Forward) and the "Seams" would land in the correct location...Usually off center. I thought this had to do with eliminating water penetration at the lowest point in the W/S channel....which is where most people put the seam thinking this is correct.
I am not 100% familiar with the 64-67 so this is why I have inquired. Do you have an original car or some additional; information that suggests the location you describe?
Thanks again for your input....Any others to comment/confirm?
Hope I can answer this on a PONTIAC Forum and not have to jump to the Yenko Forums...

Old 02-26-2024, 09:39 AM

3-4" to the Drivers side
Pictures from a 28k original paint survivor
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190902_130224~3.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	629375   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190902_130224~2.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	629376  

The Following User Says Thank You to alex s For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2024, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Seam from 19000 original mile 66 gto. Appears to be over the "C" in PONTIAC.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20240215_141929.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	629377  

The Following User Says Thank You to Andre For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2024, 10:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAirBirds View Post
Hope I can answer this on a PONTIAC Forum and not have to jump to the Yenko Forums...
Probably would be the same group of guys chiming in over there...

(lol)

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 02-26-2024, 10:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

On my Pontiac Michigan built '65 the seam is about halfway between the "O" and the "N" (left of centerline of vehicle). 5500 mile original unrestored car.

I wonder if there is some variation based on final assembly location, shift, or individual operators.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 02-26-2024, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The weatherstrip seam varies as to the line worker that installed it.
The vast majority the seam is in the middle in line with the trunk latch.
Here is a 1966 Survivor showing the seam off to the LH side with a small bit of glue.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img-1892.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	629382   Click image for larger version

Name:	img-1904.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	629383   Click image for larger version

Name:	img-1903.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	629384   Click image for larger version

Name:	img-1906.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	629385   Click image for larger version

Name:	img-1907.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	629386  

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 60sstuff For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2024, 11:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just going off the 66 that I had. It still had the original trunk WS on it when I took it apart, and that is where it was. I'm certain it's based on who put it on that day. As long as it was in that vicintiy, it went.

Old 02-26-2024, 12:46 PM

Default Trunk Weather Strip Joint

Time for a essay on the correct way, and why, on trunk weatherstrip installation. I have studied this on many salvage yard GTO/LeMans and my originals. The two pre-marked grease pencil stripes on the weatherstrip would "ideally" be placed at the center of the trunks top weather strip channel (nearest the back window). This was the typical installation location that would then end up with the weatherstrip ends offset on the back edge. The reason for the ideal offset location is that the weatherstrip was precut to length with square ends. When you place the square ends together at the middle of any of the trunk openings(WRONG installation), the weatherstrip ends will not come to a tight close and that is not a look GM engineers wanted. It had nothing to do with water getting in the joint in the center or for water to escape at the joint. When the square cut ends are placed together, at EITHER side of center, on the straight section of the trunk opening, the ends mate up perfectly and the joint becomes invisible. I have seen the grease pencil stripes placed as far as 10"-14" off to the right which gives you the joint offset way to the left, but still on the straight section of the weatherstrip channel, giving you a tight joint.
In the production line environment, different models (with different lengths of trunk openings), would be coming down the line and the assembly line worker did not measure off a chunk of weatherstrip and cut it for each car. I imagine that in the installation area there were some tubes mounted to the wall and the different precut and grease pencil marked weatherstrips were hanging there ready to grab and install-with the perfect end joints nearly invisible once installed.
A little help would be appreciated here on the correct color stripes. From memory '64/'65 is white and maroon, '66/'67 is white and blue and '68-'72 is white and orange. I have seen the colors reversed as well. For example: orange and then white on a '69. I can guess this happened when the weather strip was turned the other way when it was marked by the supplier or a different supplier.
Now for some pet peeves on what I have seen on "correctly restored" cars: #1 the two grease pencil stripes are grease pencil, not brightly colored painted on stripes. #2 the stripes are not put on after the weatherstrip is installed, on the exposed part of the weatherstrip. The grease pencil stripes carry on under the metal channel of the trunk opening.
Go ahead and try putting square cut ends together at the center and then offset and see the difference. I hope this all helps everyone to now correctly install trunk weatherstrip. Paul

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GTO.PAUL For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2024, 10:02 AM

You guys are the best. Alex.....This is Ross....I appreciate your input.....Missed you when you were at Ric's a couple weeks back....
Thanks again for all there input...Now that I read it again I seem to remember then "aesthetic" reason for this placement.
Thanks again.....