Old 12-22-2016, 08:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 50 fastback build

This is going to be a slow process as I will do what I can when I can. I have some ideas bouncing around in my head but am open to any and all suggestions. I tried to start the rusted out car today with no luck. The starter motor ran but the solenoid didn't kick in. Then I went to the good parts car and tried my old GTO key in the switch. A little jiggling and the key turned! I hooked the battery up, hit the start button and the motor turned over. I cranked it for a few seconds then stopped. After repeating this for a couple minutes I sprayed some starter fluid in the carb and hit the start button again. After a few seconds the motor caught and came to life if only for a second or two. I am going to get some rubber gas line tomorrow and run it to the fuel pump and a five gallon can. Then I will see if the car will run. I have the battery cable loose enough to pull if I have to stop the motor.
Here's a link to the pictures. The car on the trailer is the one that runs.
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=798743

Old 12-23-2016, 12:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Pulling the battery cable may NOT stop the engine.

Old 12-23-2016, 12:55 PM
Senior Chief

Subscribed!!
Very cool cars, good luck with the build!
Original or Hot rod?

97 F250 7.3 turbo diesel
85 CJ7 Laredo
65 Impala SS 396, 4 spd, A/C.
Old 12-31-2016, 02:05 AM

Watching.

Clipped a 57 Poncho with a 69 F-Body sub. Worked out great so far.

From what I can tell from earlier cars... I have a 51 and 54. The frames are almost the same.

Great Stuff.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I haven't done anything to the fastback since I brought it home but, I did get the straight 8 in one of the parts cars started. That was a boost for me as I have a running motor to go in the fastback if it's motor is bad.
I also joined the HAMB and hope to get some good help with my build there as well.
Right now, my plan is to get the car road worthy and drive it while I do a low budget rebuild. I will stick with the straight 8 and use the 3-speed manual transmission but I do have two hydramatics to fall back on.

Old 01-02-2017, 05:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatracer1 View Post
Pulling the battery cable may NOT stop the engine.
if it has a working charging system...or a magneto. Otherwise it should.

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I found an old wore out GM key that fit the ignition switch. After a little jiggling the switch turned to the on position. I had the battery hooked up but no fuel surce so I hit the starter button and the motor turned over . I did this in brief intervals for a few minutes then sprayed some starter fluid in the carb and hit the button. The motor fired right up and ran for a few seconds. I then had my wife hit the started while I put a little gas into the carb. Again, it fired up and ran until the gas was used up.
I tried hooking a rubber line to the fuel pump from a 5 gallon can but the fuel pump wouldn't pick up and pump the gas. I know gas was at the inlet side of the pump.
Good thing is the pump is rebuildable and the parts are available. I have to remove the pump to get the numbers off of it as there are several versions and I hope to do that by this weekend.
I also learned that a rear end out of certain Camaro/Firebird years will bolt right in as well as one from an S-10 Blazer.
And, while I was looking at the car I noticed the remains of a decal in the back window. I wonder how long ago it was placed there.

Last edited by fyrffytr1; 01-02-2017 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I posted the above reply just before a storm hit and all he!! broke loose. Needless to say, the car has been on the back burner until yesterday when I finally got the pump off of it. But, there were no numbers on it to go by. I called "Then and Now Automotive" in Ma. today and after answering a few questions they hooked me up with the right kit to rebuild the pump. Hopefully I will get the pump back on next weekend unless another round of predicted storms rolls through.

Old 12-06-2017, 11:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's been almost a year?! Life kinda got in the way and the 50 and 39 projects got pushed to the back burner. I did get the fuel pump rebuilt and installed on the parts car. The motor fires up and runs good. I also got the motor in the 50 fastback to fire and run briefly on starer fluid. So, I have two running straight 8s. The parts car one will go in the 39 unless something better comes my way. I bought an Edmunds Custom dual carb intake for the fastback and, as time allows, it will get cleaned up and polished.
I am set to have a four disc cervical fusion after the first of the new year so I won'r be able to do much for about two months.