Old 07-26-2005, 10:10 AM

when you are swapping engines, is it easier to pull the engine with the transmission attached & then unbolt tranny & put tranny on new engine then put back in, or is it better, easier to unbolt tranny from block & leave it in car then pull engine out & then put new one in & bolt back together???? i really dont feel like doing it from under the car & was thinking of just unbolting the mount, drive shaft & crossmember & just pulling out the whole thing--engine & transmission-- what do you do, or think on this??? thanks

Old 07-26-2005, 10:27 AM

Wow, that's a tough question to answer!

It really depends upon what kind of environment you are working in & what tools ya got at your disposal.

I would personally just pull the engine if I did not have a helper. I would also just pull the engine if I didn't have one of those load-balancing things on my engine puller. Ever try dropping an engine/trans combo into a car without mashing up the firewall? It's tough!

In your case, you have to separate the motor from the trans anyway, so I'd just pull what I had to. I'd remove the starter, unplug the wiring harness at the firewall, remove the exhaust pipes (breaking off all the studs of course), remove all the flywheel/torque converter bolts, & yank that sucker out. I'd tie up the pS pump & AC compressor to get them out of the way & of course remove the radiator & fan as well.

Even though you removed the starter, let the harness come out with the engine. That always works best for me. Many times, you'll find potential wiring problems in the making if you got the whole harness in your hand...

Did you find a replacement motor??

If I had a helper...OR the front-clip was already off, I'd probably pull the whole unit.

Old 07-26-2005, 10:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've always pulled the engine/transmission as a unit. I think it's probably easier (and safer) to separate the two when they're laying on the garage floor.

Old 07-26-2005, 11:39 AM
Suspended

trans and engine together is best.

Old 07-26-2005, 02:56 PM

I also agree with above. Especially when you reassemble and try to line up the two units.

Old 07-27-2005, 05:53 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 1969CATALINA:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Junqueboi:
It really depends upon what kind of environment you are working in & what tools ya got at your disposal.

Did you find a replacement motor??

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

just regular sockets & ratchets & wrenches-- a cherry picker & a chain---

yes, i won an ebay auction for $250 for a running 350 out a 72 lemans more door-- going to put it in my 69 catalina & pray--- i plan on picking it up sunday--still waiting for the seller to get back to me with a phone number so i can call & plan to pick up in new hampshire-- i was planning on getting one from a member of this board, but new hampshire is closer than pennsylvania & i need to pinch my pennies as just registered another car that took my cash--- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>