Old 04-18-2005, 09:11 AM

IT'S A 69 CATALINA WITH 400 & TH400--WHEN I ACCELERATE IT SOUNDS LIKE IT'S GROWLING??? IS THIS THE TRANSMISSION OR COULD IT BE THE REAR END GEARS? IS THIS BAD?? WHAT CAN I DO OR WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE?? IT SEEMS TO DRIVE FINE --BUT WHEN I STOMP THE PEDAL OR ACCELLERATE I GET THIS GROWLING NOISE & HAVE NO IDEA WHY?? ?

Old 04-18-2005, 09:11 AM

IT'S A 69 CATALINA WITH 400 & TH400--WHEN I ACCELERATE IT SOUNDS LIKE IT'S GROWLING??? IS THIS THE TRANSMISSION OR COULD IT BE THE REAR END GEARS? IS THIS BAD?? WHAT CAN I DO OR WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE?? IT SEEMS TO DRIVE FINE --BUT WHEN I STOMP THE PEDAL OR ACCELLERATE I GET THIS GROWLING NOISE & HAVE NO IDEA WHY?? ?

Old 04-18-2005, 04:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Put the rear axle of the car on jack stands so the wheels are off the ground. Have someone run the car in gear while you listen for your noise. A long screwdriver makes a good stethescope. Don't get your head near the driveshaft.

Old 04-24-2005, 09:08 PM
Senior Chief

Mine would growl during acceleration and coasting. Thought it was the trans, but was the rear end. The shims must have worked loose or broke and taken out or something. This caused severe bearing wear on the rear axles and felt like the rear wanted to pass the front like it had rear wheel steering at 65 mph.

Old 04-24-2005, 11:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Kind of a funny story but My dad had a 63 Catalina and he ended up with a howl in the rear end. He changed both U joints and both axle bearings and even dropped the pumpkin out. He found out that it was the 5 ft new CB antenna that was mounted to the Trunk lid. When the car was going through the wind, the CB antenna would harmonic and send it through the car. Just one of those wierd self inflicted problems we make for ourselves!!

a rear gear would growl under acceleration but might quiet down under acceleration to a stop.

did you know that decelerate isn't in most dictionaries? it's accelerate to a stop. (SICK)
But of course I just checked my Websters Collegiate and it's in there. Darn, guess I should'a went to school!

Old 04-24-2005, 11:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

PS since we are talking Pontiac and since it's related in advertizing to the Tiger, Then You might just have a Tiger in your tank waiting to pounce on some unsuspecting foe!!