Old 06-09-2004, 07:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The pictures above shows a '74 GTO style solenoid and bracket. The parts diagram shows the twin solenoids used for the 70-72 T/A. Since some of the systems may be engineering prototypes anything is possible.

Old 06-09-2004, 05:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm just going by what I viewed with my own eyes and felt with my own hands on Phil Griffith's Grand Am.

Old 06-14-2004, 10:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe they were testing at both versions. Sawruk worked on it. I wonder if remembers the story.

Old 12-28-2004, 07:16 PM

I have to ask. Any chance this may get started again?

Old 12-28-2004, 07:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would do it, if there were enough interest in it. It would probably take at least 50 units to make it feasable for reproduction, and they would have to be made from fiberglass. Injection molded (like the originals) would be too costly. I tried to get some interest going around the time this thread was started and I think I got every bit of 3 people that emailed me and said they would buy one. That's appalling.

Old 12-28-2004, 08:53 PM
Senior Chief

Interest has really increased in the 73-77 A-bodies in the last year, this may be something to get serious about again. I'd be interested in a setup for my 73 Grand Am 4-speed. Here's a pic of Phil's system I took this summer at a show.

Wanted 1977 Can Am forgotten projects or parts cars, other 73-77 Pontiac A-bodys, also 4-speed setup for 73-77 GTO, Grand Ams, CA e-mail me shubedo1@yahoo.com with info. Buy Sell or Trade --------------------------------------
Old 01-05-2005, 10:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The other way to make them is with liquid resin casting. Don't know if it would have any advantages over fiberglass other than it would be less labor to produce.

Don't know about the upper pan. Fiberglass would be easy, but aluminum should be fairly easy to fab.

Another problem is the factory listed the 73-74 T/A air cleaner base as part of the system. I don't know how much lower it sits than the standard air cleaner base. These are pretty scarce. I've been looking to buy one to find out, but no luck so far. A reproduction should probably fit the standard air cleaner if possible.

Screen material and foam rubber are no problem, just need originals to copy dimensions from. No idea on the flapper door and hinge. Other misc. parts are either reproduced or can be found.

Old 01-05-2005, 04:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The T/A aircleaner bases have 1" deeper base than similiar appearance Pontiac A-B-G Body aircleaner bases. Altering the design of the top to fit a std aircleaner would def alter the appearance of the "lid asm".

My .02... if you guys are serious about having a reproduction set-up made, make it as genuine as possible, then it will sell. Besides price, prospective buyers are always turned off by major design changes. Lastly, owners, that don't have one, can come up with the elbow adaptor on the snorkle, & a T/A aircleaner base.