73-77 A-body TECH Includes 73GTO, LeMans, Grand Am, Can Am

Old 04-21-2006, 01:23 PM

Are those biased tires I see on those honeycombs?

Old 04-24-2006, 09:26 PM

Default Bad news

I got the car today and she is now parked in my driveway. I was able to spend a few hours removing a lot of the junk that has been in the car for years and it looks like she would be better off being parted that trying to restore it. The floorpans are totally rotten. Same with the trunk pan. All of the seating needs replacing. Most all of the body panels needs attention. The gas tank is about rusted in half. This car is going to need more that I can give it and would be worth no where near what it would cost to restore it once it was done. I am going to just part it out and hope to find another one in much better shape. I have been looking at a lot of these cars lately and have really grown to appreciate their goods looks and style. I would love to have one to be able to drive on a daily basis, but this car is not the one for that. I will be contacting everyone that requested parts from this car and those that spoke up first for a perticular part will have first shot at them. I am only interested in the motor and transmission from the car. Everything else will be for sale. Thanks for all the interest and I post the parts not spoken for in the GTO parts for sale section once I can get them pulled. Thanks, Don.

70 Grand Prix J-Granada Gold
70 Grand Prix J-Verdoro Green (4-speed)

Last edited by gpsonthebrain; 04-24-2006 at 10:53 PM.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...4&page=2&pp=20

or you can go with this 73 for sale

Old 04-25-2006, 09:39 AM

In reference to my last reply......I am going to get a fellow pontiyaker to come and look at the car to get a second opinion on it before I pull anything off of it. I am not trying to be the "bubble headed bleach blonde" on making a decision about this car, but I am torn on what it would cost to resurrect this car and my other cars that need less help to get going. (my 70 Lemans and 69 GP J) I was able to finally see the car from underneath yesterday and it looks like it has been sitting on the ground for 2-3 years. If this was a 69 Judge then there would be no question as to if it should be restored, but it is not. Unfortunately, the 73 GTO's are not the most desirable ones to have...yet. Which also makes it harder to find replacement parts for. I don't know whether to sit on it or part it and find a better one. My space is limited on where I can put one now and my wife has been giving me the "evil eye" since the wrecker dropped it off in our driveway yesterday. At what point do you look at a car and say "this one is to far gone"? I am not a professional restorer and not much of a body man and maybe that is the problem. I can work with most mechanical and it does not scare me, but this car is one big rust bucket right now. I am not going to post anymore about it until I can get another opinion on the car. Sorry to keep being so uncertain, but as I have said before I hate to see another one lost forever. Later, Don.

Old 04-25-2006, 10:06 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

no kidding they are undesirable i couldn't even get 1500.00 for a solid 73 gto, in my thread trying to sell it.Still have the stupid thing

Old 04-25-2006, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula400
no kidding they are undesirable i couldn't even get 1500.00 for a solid 73 gto, in my thread trying to sell it.Still have the stupid thing
formula400, I would like to have it, but it is too far away for me and I have already spent most of my "mad money".

Old 04-25-2006, 02:25 PM

Formula400, what about me? I called you last night about the 73. I will definately buy it. Have the money waiting. I will call again tonight.

Old 04-25-2006, 09:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula400
If it's not sold yet, post it on the abodysite.com That's the place to deal in mid-seventies A bodies.

Old 04-25-2006, 10:34 PM

We made a deal today. I finally have one of my dream cars. Alot of people don't care for these cars, but I think they are one of the best looking GTOs. Thanks again T.

Old 04-26-2006, 11:34 AM

Talking

I agree!
They have been beat on long enough. Maybe thats why they made the 2004-2006. Let the new ones take a beating for a while

1973 Grand Prix
1973 project X
1991 Sunbird V6 convertible (wifes)
Old 04-26-2006, 12:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75ta4spd
We made a deal today. I finally have one of my dream cars. Alot of people don't care for these cars, but I think they are one of the best looking GTOs. Thanks again T.
That's great to know that somebody's going to save that gold GTO. It looks like a really good body. They look good in that Valencia Gold color too. I'd have been interested, but NY state is a bit too far to go from GA.

Old 04-26-2006, 11:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

i'm happy its going to be saved also, i was going to cut it up for my buddy but it is way to solid to destroy.

Old 06-29-2006, 08:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via Yahoo to Pontiacmuscle

GP....whats going on with the car?

Old 06-29-2006, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiacmuscle
GP....whats going on with the car?
It is currently "grazing" under my carport. I have spent a little time trying to clean it out. I am working two jobs and also doing some home repairs in order to sell my house. Going to move to a bigger house and will have a much larger shop to put the car in. Don't have the heart to part out a numbers matching GTO, even if it is in rough condition. I have gotten a few parts here and there to help in the repair of the car, but it will be a long time before it is back on the road. Need to find a 73 Lemans that is in non running condition, but has a good body and interior. Having parts shipped from the four corners can get quite expensive. It will just have to sit until I can give it more attention. At least it is out of the weather and in the hands of a person who can appreciate the 73 GTO's. Thanks for your interest.

Don

Old 06-30-2006, 07:20 AM

Thumbs up Dons GTO

"At least it is out of the weather and in the hands of a person who can appreciate the 73 GTO's. "

You the MAN!
Two thumbs up to you Don.

1973 Grand Prix
1973 project X
Old 06-30-2006, 07:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via Yahoo to Pontiacmuscle

Im glad your keeping it. Keep your eyes peeled fellas Im still looking for a '73 GTO hood or 2.......Thanks!
~PM~

Old 07-05-2006, 11:52 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I belive that frankspontiac parts website has a hood and trunk lid ,and some other a body parts fenders bumpers . if you cant find the site I will look it up.

Old 07-06-2006, 11:38 AM

here is Franks sight:
http://www.frankspontiacparts.com/gtoparts.htm

I see the rear trunk lid and the 73 hood, non NACA.
His prices are higher than indiviuals, but he runs a business and I suspect it works well with insurance claims and repairs.

1973 Grand Prix
1973 project X
Old 07-07-2006, 11:14 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I am dealing with a guy parting out 73 lemans . He also has a gto 73 hood with scoops if anyone intrested.....

Old 07-09-2006, 07:02 PM

gp's ,i'm sending this thread to a friend of mine in tx who just bought a 73 lemans gt with a 400 4spd in it to resell. i told him to contact you as he says this car has minimal rust.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill