73-77 A-body TECH Includes 73GTO, LeMans, Grand Am, Can Am

Old 04-27-2010, 11:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gtoMN View Post
Wayne does indeed. Wayne was also the original owner of the 69 judge that I eventually purchased, many times removed from him. I'll try to reach him and ask if he belongs and will post here. If nothing else, I can likely get a story from him.
The black and white pics in the lead post of this thread are of Wayne's system. I took those shots in the mid 1980s. He has quite a tale to tell concerning his tracking and acquisition of this rare RA system. BTW, the color photo in the same post is also of Wayne's car. It was taken at the 2001 Red Wing, MN POCI convention. I believe that that was the first time the car was shown after its restoration. Wayne is the original owner of this '73.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Arrow

I, and I am sure a few others here, would like to hear Wayne's story.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 05-02-2010, 11:10 PM

I met Wayne Hejny at the GTOAA Meet in Minneapolis back in 1990. We talked about his '73 and he told me about the Ram Air system on his car. I took a ride up to his house and got to see the complete system. If I remember correctly, he worked for a Pontiac dealer when he bought his car and scoured the country through his parts connections for all the parts to put the system together before the parts were pulled by GM. It was very cool to see a functional system. I'll have to dig out my pictures.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGoat73 View Post
I met Wayne Hejny at the GTOAA Meet in Minneapolis back in 1990. We talked about his '73 and he told me about the Ram Air system on his car. I took a ride up to his house and got to see the complete system. If I remember correctly, he worked for a Pontiac dealer when he bought his car and scoured the country through his parts connections for all the parts to put the system together before the parts were pulled by GM. It was very cool to see a functional system. I'll have to dig out my pictures.
Yes, this is the Wayne to whom I refer earlier. Actually, he even owned the 1969 Judge that I had (built 2/13/69). I have not spoken to Wayne in a few years. However, he did tell me that, at the time, his was the only known complete RA system for a 73. He's still local, if I'm not mistaken. I need to call him...

I have pictures somewhere also.

Kurt

Land of Lakes Muscle Car Classic
Facebook Event
Facebook Wall (Kurt Smith,Minneapolis)
Old 05-03-2010, 07:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gtoMN View Post
However, he did tell me that, at the time, his was the only known complete RA system for a 73.

Kurt
I know of four complete, functional systems:

1. Wayne's

2. Tom Goad's '73 GA wagon

3. Brian's friend with Jack Hoffman's 1973 Grand Am SD-455 4 speed

4. A collector in Mass. sold a complete setup for upwards of $10k within the last 4 years.

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 05-03-2010, 09:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 Canamman View Post
I know of four complete, functional systems:

1. Wayne's

2. Tom Goad's '73 GA wagon

3. Brian's friend with Jack Hoffman's 1973 Grand Am SD-455 4 speed

4. A collector in Mass. sold a complete setup for upwards of $10k within the last 4 years.
Somebody paid more for one of these systems than what most of these cars out there are worth, but nobody will pay $500 for an accurate reproduction? That's just f**king amazing.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Exclamation

We would have to supply the shirts since the tightwad owners are too stingy to even buy the shirt.

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 05-03-2010, 12:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a partial system -- basically the pan and the foams. The only major part I don't have to make a complete system is plastic lid which is the most important part.

That complete system was supposedly new in boxes. Anybody know the current owenr or is he keeping quiet? I heard $5k was the asking price, but a bunch of other NOS parts were sold along with it.

Old 05-08-2010, 01:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We might add a couple of '73 engineering cars to the Ram Air lineup. At least one '73 GTO and a '73 Grand Am. Who knows what became of the system on these cars.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Unhappy

Unfortunately, they probably stayed with the cars as they were crushed.

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 05-08-2010, 05:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiedlerh View Post
We might add a couple of '73 engineering cars to the Ram Air lineup. At least one '73 GTO and a '73 Grand Am. Who knows what became of the system on these cars.
The lid that is on Phil's car (formerly Jack Hoffman's) may be from one of them, who knows. Jack purchased all of his parts over the counter, except the lid, which he got from a friend working at GM at the time who said it was "collecting dust on a shelf". This was around 1973-1974 so who knows.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It would be interesting to see dyno test results with and without the kit to determine any real performance difference.
Maybe if it could be proven that it would boost HP and exactly how much improvement, more people would be interested in it.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastard View Post
It would be interesting to see dyno test results with and without the kit to determine any real performance difference.
Maybe if it could be proven that it would boost HP and exactly how much improvement, more people would be interested in it.
Given the majority of owners of these cars still posess a stock engine in them, many with some miles on them, I would have to say...no.

I can count on one hand how many 73-77 A-body Pontiacs I've seen actively racing at the drag strip in the last 20 years with modified engines on one hand, and have a finger or two left over.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Probably doesn't, I don't think any of them do.

The only scoops that get above the barrier layer are the early Formula ones and the in-hood ducting on those is so restrictive, I'd be surprised if they breathed at all.

Can't beat the cool factor however.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 05-09-2010, 10:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Probably an insignificant difference since there was no carb calibration change to account for the ram air. Since it failed noise regs I'd love to hear how it sounded.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiedlerh View Post
Probably an insignificant difference since there was no carb calibration change to account for the ram air. Since it failed noise regs I'd love to hear how it sounded.
I've had the pleasure of driving Phil's car hard, and from inside the car it didn't sound any louder. Phil's car has mellow mufflers on it, maybe not much louder than a stock muffler from back in the day. It talks when you get on it, and doesn't give that "whoosh" sound like Gleason's car did in Smokey.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
Probably doesn't, I don't think any of them do.

The only scoops that get above the barrier layer are the early Formula ones and the in-hood ducting on those is so restrictive, I'd be surprised if they breathed at all.

Can't beat the cool factor however.

NACA ducts are different. There is a reason why they are used on most race cars and airplanes.

NACA duct
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Artist's concept picture of a submerged inlet for a jet aircraft

The NACA duct or NACA scoop is a common form of low-drag intake design, originally developed by the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics (the precursor to NASA) in 1945. When properly implemented, it allows air to be drawn into an internal duct, often for cooling purposes, with a minimal disturbance to the flow. The design was originally called a "submerged inlet," since it consists of a shallow ramp with curved walls recessed into the exposed surface of a streamlined body, such as an aircraft. It is especially favored in racing car design.

Prior submerged inlet experiments showed poor pressure recovery due to the slow-moving boundary layer entering the intake. This design is believed to work because the combination of the gentle ramp angle and the curvature profile of the walls creates counter-rotating vortices which deflect the boundary layer away from the intake and draws in the faster moving air, while avoiding the form drag and flow separation that can occur with protruding inlet designs. This type of flush inlet generally cannot achieve the larger ram pressures and flow volumes of an external design, and so is rarely used for the jet engine intake application for which it was originally designed, (the North American YF-93 and Short Sherpa being exceptions.) It is, however, common for engine and ventilation intakes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NACA_duct

Old 05-11-2010, 02:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_GTO View Post
NACA ducts are different. There is a reason why they are used on most race cars and airplanes.

NACA duct
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Artist's concept picture of a submerged inlet for a jet aircraft

The NACA duct or NACA scoop is a common form of low-drag intake design, originally developed by the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics (the precursor to NASA) in 1945. When properly implemented, it allows air to be drawn into an internal duct, often for cooling purposes, with a minimal disturbance to the flow. The design was originally called a "submerged inlet," since it consists of a shallow ramp with curved walls recessed into the exposed surface of a streamlined body, such as an aircraft. It is especially favored in racing car design.

Prior submerged inlet experiments showed poor pressure recovery due to the slow-moving boundary layer entering the intake. This design is believed to work because the combination of the gentle ramp angle and the curvature profile of the walls creates counter-rotating vortices which deflect the boundary layer away from the intake and draws in the faster moving air, while avoiding the form drag and flow separation that can occur with protruding inlet designs. This type of flush inlet generally cannot achieve the larger ram pressures and flow volumes of an external design, and so is rarely used for the jet engine intake application for which it was originally designed, (the North American YF-93 and Short Sherpa being exceptions.) It is, however, common for engine and ventilation intakes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NACA_duct
Different in that they don't work as well for a "ram effect".
Useful for cold air intake only in this application (mid seventies A body hood).

Old 05-12-2010, 06:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastard View Post
Different in that they don't work as well for a "ram effect".
Useful for cold air intake only in this application (mid seventies A body hood).
That's all you need in a passenger car.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Chris,

The question was would it boost HP - I contend that it wouldn't and for that matter none of the RA setups would. If you need fresh air, that can come from anywhere - the dual snorkel or open element prove better.

Just my opinion.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978