73-77 A-body TECH Includes 73GTO, LeMans, Grand Am, Can Am

Old 05-12-2010, 10:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
Chris,

The question was would it boost HP - I contend that it wouldn't and for that matter none of the RA setups would. If you need fresh air, that can come from anywhere - the dual snorkel or open element prove better.

Just my opinion.

They will boost HP merely based upon the fact that they draw in much cooler than underhood air, especially if the carb has been richened to take advantage of the denser air charge. My Can Am picked up a solid tenth in the quarter mile by unblocking the shaker, and rejetting the carb. In addition to the performance increase, the car sounds a lot better too.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 05-12-2010, 11:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
Chris,

The question was would it boost HP - I contend that it wouldn't and for that matter none of the RA setups would. If you need fresh air, that can come from anywhere - the dual snorkel or open element prove better.

Just my opinion.
Dual Snorkle or open element gets nice hot air, not cool air. I'd rather have air that comes in from the outside of the engine compartment...but that's just me.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, it looks cool.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 06-02-2010, 09:41 AM

You know I've been reading some of the threads on here and it bothers me to some degree to watch the owners of these cars trash talk one another about our cars. Don't we all have the cars for the same reasons? I've personally always liked the styling of the mid-seventies GM cars. To me, they are different. They have dramatic body lines and unique styling. Does it matter that we can purchase them rather cheaply because the rest of the automotive world hasn't caught on to what we already know? I like cars from the musclecar era too, but I'm a realist. Unless I win the lottery or buy a basket case, I'm not owning one anytime soon. I bought my 75 Grand Am from the ORIGINAL owner with only 58,000 miles on it for $2000. I bought it because it is mostly original (radio was changed) unmodified (all factory systems in place) and missing very little (nose is gone but what 73-75 GRand Am still has the nose intact?) If I were to spend a mere $2000 on a 64-72 GM car I probably wouldn't get much for my money. Prior to buying my car I was looking for a 70 Malibu are 71 Cutlass to make my own "clone" of an SS Chevelle or 442. I found a shell of a 70 Malibu (no interior, no engine or trans, no glass and significant rear collision damage) for $1500. My luck with the Cutlass was just as bad. The problem to me is that "clones" are fetching way too much money which is driving the price of plain jane GM cars through the roof. The "investors" are killing the hobby for the hobbiest's. Because of that fact I am happy the investors are staying away from our cars. I can "afford" to work on my car. As for the topic of this thread, I have stated before that I would be willing to purchase a Ram Air setup for my car as well. Hell, I'm the person that got the ball rolling on the reproduction wheel well moldings, so I appreciate anyone willing to make any reproduction parts for these cars. Now if the RA system was available in a month, I probably couldn't afford one at the that time because there are other pressing needs with my car (THE NOSE!). Thats not to say that I wouldn't but one. If it was available in 6 months to a year from now then I would definately be interested!

Old 06-02-2010, 06:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1975 View Post
Hell, I'm the person that got the ball rolling on the reproduction wheel well moldings, so I appreciate anyone willing to make any reproduction parts for these cars.
What is the latest and greatest on this project?

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 06-02-2010, 11:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike, we're all in the same boat for being fond of the 73-77 A-body. Don't take the "trash talk" to heart, but from my observations it is what it is.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:37 AM

The only update I have on the repo wheel well moldings is that we are trying to purchase an NOS set to use to make the repo's. The manufacturer wants an unmolested set to work from. I haven't heard anything more to date.

Brian, no harm no foul. Just when you say A-body owners are cheap, it throws us all under the bus at once. I'm not cheap, but being the father of three, I need to watch how much I spend on my hobby, you know?

Old 06-03-2010, 08:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike, I never said we were all cheap...I said "by and large"...there are exceptions to every rule. I believe there are enough enthusiasts out there to justify 30-50 '73 ram-air packages to be reproduced, but not enough of them are willing to get off $500 for such a system. I have a family too, and I'm not willing to front my own money on such a project when there are only 3 or 4 people that respond with interest in it.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
The only update I have on the repo wheel well moldings is that we are trying to purchase an NOS set to use to make the repo's. The manufacturer wants an unmolested set to work from.
I probably have an NOS set laying around, but I think only two are in wrappers. I might be willing to lend them, not sell them, and shipping them to someone I don't know is a problem. Where is the company located?

Old 06-14-2010, 10:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I would ABSOLUTELY commit $500-700 dollars for a complete ram air system! i have a line on a NACA hood and i would be willing to buy a complete repop ram air kit for my 73. just contact me here or PM me and we can discuss it..! thanks!

Old 06-15-2010, 08:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Unfortunately, Zeebo...we would need at least 30 more people like you to commit in order to make it economically feasible for me and the buyer. The numbers just aren't there, and nobody is going to lay out money (especially in this economy) to make 2 or 3 dozen ram air pans without having them already accounted for.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It could get expensive because of the complexity of the system.

Die to stamp the pan; $50K in tooling.
Mold to make the ram air cover out of the orginal material. Another $50K in tooling.
Fiberglass is cheap but sags over time from heat.
Misc parts including spring, brackets, solenoids, flapper, water drain, wiring harness, air cleaner stud, etc.

Not to mention every customer has to find a Trans Am air cleaner base, air cleaner lid and ring clamp. ($300+ on ebay)

Making 100 units would probably be a lifetime supply for the market. Then people would want repro NASA hoods and T/A air cleaner bases.

Of course if an enthusiast wins the lottery....

Old 06-16-2010, 01:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiedlerh View Post
It could get expensive because of the complexity of the system.

Die to stamp the pan; $50K in tooling.
Mold to make the ram air cover out of the orginal material. Another $50K in tooling.
Fiberglass is cheap but sags over time from heat.
Misc parts including spring, brackets, solenoids, flapper, water drain, wiring harness, air cleaner stud, etc.

Not to mention every customer has to find a Trans Am air cleaner base, air cleaner lid and ring clamp. ($300+ on ebay)

Making 100 units would probably be a lifetime supply for the market. Then people would want repro NASA hoods and T/A air cleaner bases.

The one I had planned would have been made from fiberglass...that's the only way to make it affordable. Springs, solenoids, lower pan, etc. would have been furnished by the buyer. I was just looking into reproducing the lid and associated parts to mate it to the hood.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I did some research and found fiberglass isn't too good inside the engine compartment. The reason it works for shaker soops is that most of it is sticking out of the hood.

There are some liquid molding resins that supposedly stand up to heat fairly well. The mold can be made out of any hard material, probably even fiberglass. Google liquid resin molding. Beats aluminum tooling required to mold the original glass filled nylon.

I start looking into it when I retire in 15 years or when I win the lottery.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiedlerh View Post
Then people would want repro NASA hoods and T/A air cleaner bases.

If T/A air cleaner bases are ever repopped, I'd hope that someone remembers the Can Am air cleaner tops as well...

Both of my scoops have rust issues, so what I'm considering is finding an air cleaner close to the diameter that will fit on the Quadrajet, cutting a new plate for the scoop, and cutting (and having someone weld) the top to the plate. Best that I can think to do, barring any reproduced parts - highly unlikely for the small population of cars.

'Course, if anyone has a spare CA scoop laying around that's in decent condition....

1977 Can Am (T/A 6.6, posi, Buckskin interior, tilt/AC/PW, 115K miles) - need sheet metal, care to help?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why did they name this town Port Saint Lucie, when there's no port at all here?
Old 12-26-2010, 03:17 PM

may have ram air car dont know 455 coupe auto had car since 1980 have honeycomb mesh hood scoop screens was told owned by gm exec car is blk on blk.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:34 PM

well.. punacity66, better look into that car and post some pics if you do have a RA system under the hood... I thought I found one of these rare unit 3 years ago and made the mistake of posting that fact, turned out to be a homemade setup converted off Buick system... got beat up pretty good

Old 12-26-2010, 11:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by punacity66 View Post
may have ram air car dont know 455 coupe auto had car since 1980 have honeycomb mesh hood scoop screens was told owned by gm exec car is blk on blk.
Need pics. The screens alone are not all that rare, and are easy to make. If your car has the bolt on pan, or other Ram Air items, that would be noteworthy.

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 12-27-2010, 12:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gtoMN View Post
Wayne does indeed. Wayne was also the original owner of the 69 judge that I eventually purchased, many times removed from him. I'll try to reach him and ask if he belongs and will post here. If nothing else, I can likely get a story from him.
Kurt, did you ever contact Wayne about this issue? I know the story, but am reluctant to recount it by 25-yr-old memory. I'd rather have Wayne tell it in his own words.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:51 PM

no i dont have any ram air parts on the car but still have 1 of 25 73's made #s matching cars anyone else will try to post pics.