73-77 A-body TECH Includes 73GTO, LeMans, Grand Am, Can Am

Old 08-29-2012, 10:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This car was on eBay for a good week, I was surprised no one here mentioned it. Do let us know how it turns out!

Old 08-29-2012, 10:53 PM
Senior Chief

After coming back to look at this beast again tonight, I just noticed that it appears the dash has been upholstered (re-upholstered?) as were the seats. It doesn't look too bad, but I will be curious to see what you think of the color. The pics make it look kind of like a pale green when compared to the console and door panels.

Mark Twain
Old 08-29-2012, 11:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

the 73 is silver with cloth interior, console, tach, gauges, 3:23 posi, a/c, all original and when parked around 15 years ago it was running great. it does have some rust at the bottom of quarters and fenders and the nose is gone of course. it still has original paint. has the finned wheel covers (weird).

Old 08-30-2012, 11:03 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M. View Post
This car was on eBay for a good week, I was surprised no one here mentioned it. Do let us know how it turns out!
Of course I wasn't going to mention it because I was looking at it too.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiacdaver View Post
Thanks guys. I've been known to get tired of a car quickly sometimes, but never one I haven't got yet, LoL. Honestly, it is a bit of an experiment for me....I've always loved driving a manual trans, but with the lower back issues I've had much of my life (which have worsened as I've aged), I last had an m/t in 2006. So there is the chance I won't be able to drive it without pain.

This is only the 2nd 74 4dr 4spd I have seen, the other one was Silver with a Red int and had A/C.

Yes, I will be keeping it the original color (if I own it that long, LoL).

muscle_collector, please do give me more info on the 73 4dr 4spd, I like both 73s and 74s.

Fake Goat, I'll keep you in mind if I ever decide to sell.

Dave

Pontiacdaver,
This one looks like it is going to give you plenty of enjoyment. Congratulations! And welcome to the world of more doors and factory freaks. I might need to pass my PY name on to you.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Thanks guys. I've been known to get tired of a car quickly sometimes, but never one I haven't got yet, LoL. Honestly, it is a bit of an experiment for me....I've always loved driving a manual trans, but with the lower back issues I've had much of my life (which have worsened as I've aged), I last had an m/t in 2006. So there is the chance I won't be able to drive it without pain.

This is only the 2nd 74 4dr 4spd I have seen, the other one was Silver with a Red int and had A/C.

Yes, I will be keeping it the original color (if I own it that long, LoL).

muscle_collector, please do give me more info on the 73 4dr 4spd, I like both 73s and 74s.

Fake Goat, I'll keep you in mind if I ever decide to sell.

Dave
What am I? Chopped liver? This will go nicely in the garage next to my Can Am, and the '73 Grand Am funny car body coming in the fall.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto4door View Post
Of course I wasn't going to mention it because I was looking at it too.

I didn't mention it either, I was looking at it too....obviously. I did get it for substantially less than the asking price. Thanks for offering the name (you have a truer to GTO 4dr 4spd), but maybe I'll be G/A4dr? I can't wait to get it!

Dave

----------------------------------------------------------

2004 Grand Prix GT daily driver
1974 LeMans GT 455

Last edited by Pontiacdaver; 08-30-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 Canamman View Post
A third '74 4 door 4 speed was the donor car for the Ascot Silver SD-455 1973 GTO.
I've seen that car but didn't know it was a donor car. Well that's 2 Silver and 1 Green I know of so far.

Dave

1974 LeMans GT 455
Old 08-30-2012, 01:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fake Goat View Post
After coming back to look at this beast again tonight, I just noticed that it appears the dash has been upholstered (re-upholstered?) as were the seats. It doesn't look too bad, but I will be curious to see what you think of the color. The pics make it look kind of like a pale green when compared to the console and door panels.
I will do that, I believe it has been painted and the interior done once already. I am hoping to contact the original owner to find out more.

Dave

1974 LeMans GT 455
Old 08-30-2012, 01:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Baker View Post
What am I? Chopped liver? This will go nicely in the garage next to my Can Am, and the '73 Grand Am funny car body coming in the fall.
You're not chopped liver Brian, anyone who is into the 73-77 A-bodies is cool in my book. Maybe you can get the 73 4dr 4spd since you will have a 73 FC body (which I can't wait to see!), I pm'd muscle_collector for pics and a price. I'll be happy to share what I find out.

Dave

1974 LeMans GT 455
Old 08-30-2012, 01:43 PM

I love the lime green!

Old 08-30-2012, 09:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbird76 View Post
I love the lime green!
Welcome to the forums, Greenbird76, lime green is a unique color. Your 76 is, I believe, Metalime Green. Cool color and a cool name for it too! Mine is Limefire Green, GM was into some very different colors back then, and it seems to be making a comeback now.

Dave

1974 LeMans GT 455
Old 08-31-2012, 12:45 AM

Yes, it is. limefire green in 74, metalime green in 76 and I am sure we can find a few other similar colors in adjacent years. And yes, our retro greens our back. The closest I have seen to the green on our cars is Ford's choice on the new Fiesta and Focus. Honda is also not too far off either. BTW, I love the fact your car is a 4speed with four doors. Cool stuff!

Old 09-08-2012, 12:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Got it!!!

The car was delivered Tuesday morning. I have been driving it since then to and from work (tires need replaced, and work is about 4 miles from home). Runs and drives very well, the car has most of it's original parts on it. The interior is going to need a complete redo but the body is absolutely rust free!! The chrome is nice too (what a contrast to my last 74 G/A). The original carb is MIA, there is a lousy Holley on it now. I will post pics as soon as I can get it cleaned up (it is filthy) in a new thread.

Rick, I am compiling a list of needed parts, I will be needing another t/s lever like you sold me before if you have any extras.
Anybody have, or know of ANY green interior panels? Plastic trim, door panels, etc.

-Dave

1974 LeMans GT 455

Last edited by Pontiacdaver; 09-08-2012 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Added info.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dave, when you start the new thread for the car, please post a link in this one. Thanks!

Old 09-08-2012, 01:16 PM
Suspended

Quote:
The car was delivered Tuesday morning. I have been driving it since then to and from work (tires need replaced, and work is about 4 miles from home). Runs and drives very well, the car has most of it's original parts on it. The interior is going to need a complete redo but the body is absolutely rust free!! The chrome is nice too (what a contrast to my last 74 G/A). The original carb is MIA, there is a lousy Holley on it now. I will post pics as soon as I can get it cleaned up (it is filthy) in a new thread.

Rick, I am compiling a list of needed parts, I will be needing another t/s lever like you sold me before if you have any extras.
Anybody have, or know of ANY green interior panels? Plastic trim, door panels, etc.

-Dave
Dave, If all else fails you can respray interior parts w SEM etc interior paint systems...w your car's rare interior colors that may be your best bet.

IMO: Getting an OEM correct #Q-Jet carb shouldn't be too hard via Sell/Buy threads here on PY, Hemmings, etc.

Keep us posted. X2 what Engine-ear posted

Old 09-08-2012, 10:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good to hear. I wish I had more of those turn signal levers. I sold 3 over the summer for $40 each.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 11-04-2012, 01:52 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Photos added at last!!
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...55#post4770855

1974 LeMans GT 455
Old 11-04-2012, 10:50 AM
Suspended

Thumbs up

Don't be so shy...post pics: here you go:

Old 11-04-2012, 01:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks Alvin, I just figured it would be easier to make a photobucket album. That way I can update the album as the car progresses.

1974 LeMans GT 455