Old 11-02-2018, 10:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Split bench Seat

Well after 5 years it finally happening. I'm in the works to getting the seat covers replaced. The rears looked good so I sent them in already.

The front split bench is a disaster. Not so much the bottom but the backs are horrible. I'm pretty sure it stayed outside for few years. You can see the bottom of the seat backs where the border wires and springs are mostly gone. I will be working on trying to rebuild them the best I can.

I really would like to find a way to stiffen up the bottom springs. I have already added two tie wires that helped marginally. Not sure If I should completely replace them, do some doubling up on top or what. I'm not sure how much the recovering will aid in the support if at all. Any suggestions are welcome.

I need to purchase the sino springs. I took some measurement of the wire.
Seat bottom spring= .138
Border wire = .150
Seat back spring = .103
Border wire = .135

5 Awg = .181
6 Awg = .162
7 Awg = .144
*8 Awg = .128
*9 Awg = .114
10 Awg = .101
*11 Awg = .097

The 8, 9 and 11 awg are all I can seem to find.

New covers from PUI.

This was how I purchased it. Obviously it was recovered before.

Another member provided me these picture of how the seatbelts come through. I still not quit sure on this. They must come through the springs at the bottom. I can't find any screw holes for them. My seats didn't have these at all.

Also in the picture I see the rubber bumpers. One member confirmed that there are 4 required. 2 on each side. I do see the screw holes for all 4 of them. Is there a round washer plate on the opposite side of the rubber bumper? I had only one of them on the seat.

This is the bottom of the front. I pulled the spring off of the back to clean up and do some painting on it. You can see the tie wire where I connected the springs together.

The driver side front seat back. This whole thing scars the hell out of me. Its pretty bad. I'm still trying to figure out the purpose of the metal strip. Both side have this. Its so thin I can't imagine it adds much rigidity. I'm going to try and recreate it .

Old 11-02-2018, 04:45 PM

If you want to reinforce the bottom spring assembly for more outside support- when I do benches, I like to double up the front corner spring, and one of the two side support springs on each side- this increases the stiffness on the outside edge where you need it. usually the front springs are plenty strong as-is simply because there are already so many of them.

Tying the springs together along the center as was done on your seat does help somewhat to increase the load capacity by spreading it, but thats not where the support issue in these seats is at since those top springs are essentially just providing a seating surface, they are not solid mounted on the front like they are at the back (like ina couch)

its those front & side "compression springs" that move and provide the support when you sit on them, and thats why you want to beef up those side ones.

For the upper cushion, those repairs are no big deal, you just need some new zig zag spring and fab up new edgewire peices and clamp it all back together. You DO want to take very good measurements of the dimentions of that edgewire befire you start removing it to make repairs since you will have to fab up a new one from scratch.

PM me and I can help direct you to what you might need.

Here is a link to a thread on another site where i posted pics of doing this to a 68 chevelle bench seat.
https://www.chevelles.com/forums/26-...reinforce.html

Last edited by rambow; 11-02-2018 at 04:56 PM. Reason: added link
Old 11-02-2018, 04:50 PM

The seat springs you need are 9ga for the bottom and 12ga for the upper cushion which isn't readily available, so 11ga is as close as you will get. You do have to make sure you get medium loop spring which is ~1-1/8" between bars and will match up with the OEM GM springs.

The commonly available zig-zag/non sinuous spring is small loop which is ~3/4" between bars and does not allow it to be clamped onto the existing springs.

The edgewire is all 9ga rod.

Old 11-04-2018, 09:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ben,

Thanks for the link. That is some great information.

I found out that finding 9gauge rod is not easy, but I know a place that should have it.

I will be hitting you up soon on that medum look spring. I see you sell it in smaller quantities.

more to come soon.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Some updates over the weekend.

I really don't know if this is how the hinge button looked from factory but I found some replacements based on what I had when I bought it.

That small piece of aqua is the only portion of the original hinge cover left. I have some replacements I purchased but they are not like the original. They are hard plastic.

The replacement push buttons caps from lowes.

I'm really curious if my tie wire I put in should be attached the border wire?????

I was able to confirm this is the striker for the rubber bumper. I only have one. I think I can make some out of fender washers.

When I tore the seats down I found that I had rubber washers on the hing post. They fell apart in my hand, so I picked up some new ones.

Both Seat back had broken spot welds.

A little welding fix

Old 11-06-2018, 02:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for posting all of this and I'm following this thread with great interest. My original 1966 bench is in need of repairs. The driver's side seatback is bent like a banana. I have a '68 bench in the car now but it's wider and seems taller, so I can't put the repro seat covers on it. I've been looking for a used '66 driver's seatback, but no luck.

Old 11-11-2018, 03:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you try Franks?

Old 11-11-2018, 10:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My seat leans back like I’m in a rap video. I can’t tell what’s wrong with it because it seems to rest on the stops properly and is mounted in the prope holes in the floor but when I was bolted in the car it felt like the back of the seat was bolted further down into the drop off into the rear floor pans or at least that’s how it seat anyway. The upholstery shop I plan on using says it’s common and they can fix it sight unseen. I hope so

Old 11-12-2018, 10:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Do both sides lean the same way?

Old 11-12-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
My seat leans back like I’m in a rap video. I can’t tell what’s wrong with it because it seems to rest on the stops properly and is mounted in the prope holes in the floor but when I was bolted in the car it felt like the back of the seat was bolted further down into the drop off into the rear floor pans or at least that’s how it seat anyway. The upholstery shop I plan on using says it’s common and they can fix it sight unseen. I hope so
they are most likely broken apart in the same way that Ryans were... I've had several come across my bench that looked ok with the covers still on them, but if you'd sit in them you'd lean waaaaay back. Tuned out the frame supports in the upper cushion had all torn apart, needed to be welded back together.
Little more surprising that both sides lean back the same, usually its just the drivers side.

Would be curious to ask for a pic or two showing the frame damage once they strip them down

Old 11-12-2018, 04:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I hope to be stripping down ours soon and will be glad to post. I'm just afraid of what I might find!

Please keep posting any and all pics and pointers. This is very helpful indeed.

Old 11-13-2018, 12:06 PM
Senior Chief

Where did you source the hinge covers and rubber washers?

Old 11-13-2018, 04:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The hing cover I think I got from OPGI. THe rubber washer was from ACE hardware.

Old 11-15-2018, 11:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest1964 View Post
Did you try Franks?
Thanks for the suggestion about Frank's, but no joy.

I hope the OP doesn't mind me adding to the thread. I finally decided to pull down the original bench from my Tempest from the loft in the garage. This is the first time I've taken a good look at it. I'm going to strip it down, but I believe that I've found the issue, which of course is the frame damage. Looks like I'll have a nice little winter project. The rest of the seat looks surprisingly good, so I'll see if there are any hidden issues when I strip those down as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seat 1.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	497931   Click image for larger version

Name:	seat 2.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	497932  

Old 11-16-2018, 12:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I found a couple of suppliers around here that sell the springs. A
few questions:

The springs are either coiled or about 2' long strips. I've seen the benders and they are expensive, especially for one use. Can they be bent with a couple pairs of vice grips or something?

It appears that there needs to be a proper arch in the springs. Can you tell me what that is? The originals seem to have a 2" or so arch.

What it the purpose of the spring end former? Does the little return on the end that it makes keep the spring from slipping out of the clamp?

Any information would be appreciated.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You should PM rambow. He seems to be very knowledgeable and will take the time to answer your questions. He also has supplies to repair/rebuild your seat.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion about Frank's, but no joy.

I hope the OP doesn't mind me adding to the thread. I finally decided to pull down the original bench from my Tempest from the loft in the garage. This is the first time I've taken a good look at it. I'm going to strip it down, but I believe that I've found the issue, which of course is the frame damage. Looks like I'll have a nice little winter project. The rest of the seat looks surprisingly good, so I'll see if there are any hidden issues when I strip those down as well.
Yep a little welding and you will be good as new.

I would like to see more pictures of your seat once it completly striped down.

and do you have a picture of what the stock hinge covers look like?

Last edited by rohrt; 11-16-2018 at 10:21 AM.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey, rohrt. What model car are those covers for? I don't recognize them. They look to be well made.

Old 11-17-2018, 01:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's a few pics of the hinge covers. I'm lucky they are still relatively soft. I wish I knew why the heck the pictures are sideways. I've tried everything to make them right side up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9221.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	498030   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9223.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	498031   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9224.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	498032   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9225.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	498033   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9228.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	498034  

Old 11-17-2018, 01:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A few more. They attach with a pin pushed in from the back through the hinge.
Note that the spindle has only a push nut and theres also a grey plastic washer with a step in it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9230.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	498035   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9236.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	498036   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9237.jpg
Views:	173