Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 11-24-2004, 07:18 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I don't know, but since I tossed the 454 chevy & got the Pontiac 455 in. I've had no problems. I get a bunch of puzzled looks though (No its not my speedo's ). Since the Pontiac is lighter I gained a few mph & once I can get the ride plate & shoe combo right. I should gain another 3-5mph.

Ron

Old 04-29-2005, 08:29 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:

"Whats the difference between 64-67' vrs. 68'-72'? Is it just the crossmember Or A-arm mount possitions? I looked at a 65' while I was test fiting on the 68' on Sat. I also saw a diagram of both frames & it looks like the A-arms maybe in the same locations, but the crossmember looks like it goes farther back on the 68'& up.

I think you have it backwards.

To use a 68-up round port A Body header on a 64-67 GTO chassis you have to remove metal
from the back of the crossmember. A 64 GTO set with the tubes being farther back due to
the crossmember will most likely fit a 68 chassis (at least as far as crossmember clearance
goes.

I have been told buy 4 guys that if it fits 68'-72' then it will fit 64'-67'. But if it fits 64'-67' then it may not fit 68'-72'.

So I know it fits a 68' great. So unless someone steps up with a 64'-67' A-body near by then I can only assume those 4 guys are right. I'm sure that they would know alot more about A-body's than I do.

Scott Tiemann (Who owns the "Legend" 1966 White GTO) knows all about what it takes to modify the frame to fit the 68-up round port headers on his stock frame cross-member chassis (back
half car). I would get ahold of him.

If you buy a set then I'll send you two sets 1 coated & 1 not. You can try the uncoated set first so you wont chip or scratch them. Then if there's no problems, just send the un-coated set back & I'll pay the shipping for 1 set both ways.

What would the price be for a set of the 1-3/4" round port tri Y headers for a 64 GTO?

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.