Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 03-06-2004, 06:13 AM
Exhaust Guru

We have two VOE II mufflers ready to complete. They will soon be welded together so we can hear them. I will post an image as soon as I can get it together.

Tom Hand

[This message was edited by Tom Hand on March 06, 2004 at 08:21 AM.]

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	voetop31two.jpg
Views:	1716
Size:	3.9 KB
ID:	22599  

Old 03-06-2004, 06:13 AM
Exhaust Guru

We have two VOE II mufflers ready to complete. They will soon be welded together so we can hear them. I will post an image as soon as I can get it together.

Tom Hand

Old 03-06-2004, 06:27 AM
Exhaust Guru

Here is another shot.

Tom Hand
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	voe31vac2two.jpg
Views:	2062
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	5265  

Old 03-06-2004, 10:36 AM

what does the vacuum do for it?

1975 2 bolt 455, 6X-8 heads, summit 2802 cam, stock intake, holley 600cfm vacume secondaries and modified adapter.
TH350 trans and converter out of a 78 TA, stock 10 bolt with 2.41 gears
pypes 2.5" exhaust

1975 2 bolt 455, 6X-8 heads, summit 2802 cam, stock intake, edelbrock 600cfm.
TH350 trans and converter out of a 78 TA, 10 bolt posi rear with 3.42 gears, 225/70-15 tires.
Old 03-06-2004, 12:08 PM
Exhaust Guru

80_455,
These are very similar and in fact, based on the OEM VOE mufflers from 1969-70 GTOs. The vacuum diaphragm is hooked to a valve inside that opens or closes off passages in the muffler. With full vacuuum, the valve opens to allow all of the exhaust to bypass the sound absorbing part of the muffler and exit right out the tailpipe. The internal passages are now wrapped in sound absorbing glass fiber inside the shell. In closed mode, the exhaust goes through two more passages and "is supposed" to be quieter (I made some changes in internal sizes). Look at the photos and you can see what I mean.

Tom Hand

Old 03-06-2004, 12:09 PM
Exhaust Guru

Here is the close up.

Tom Hand

Old 03-06-2004, 03:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Very nice Tom.

Old 03-07-2004, 11:46 AM

Tom,

I'd suspect the market for these would be for those who want better WOT efficiency than a 17749 Dynomax hemi super turbo, but wanted quieter cruise than a Goerlick XLerator.

I wonder if even the WOT mode of the VOE could rival the straight-thru efficiency of one like an XLerator.

Mike

Old 03-07-2004, 01:08 PM
Exhaust Guru

Mike, I can tell you the airflow through the original VOE muffler and any other ones will never approach the straight-through mufflers because of the torturous path the air must take to exit in the wide open mode.

What was unique about the original ones and any further ones we shall try is that in closed mode, they were very quiet because the exhaust was restricted more than performance mufflers today are. And, in the open mode, you had the performance sound of an open system out the tailpipes.

The original ones were very tight in the closed mode and this is fine for normal driving when the throttle is only slightly opened.

I am hopeful they can be made as quiet as the originals were. There was much science, engineering, and experimentation into them.

Tom Hand

Old 03-07-2004, 01:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

this is excellant!, I was going to try to fabricate the mufflers in my shop, you definitly beat me to it!, I have a `70 gto conver. 4 speed with the VOE, I will need the mufflers when i get into the restoration of the project, any idea when you might have these done? Price??? this is great, you guys are doing it for me!??

Old 03-07-2004, 01:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

one more thing, are you getting the design from an original??? Just wondering how close it will be to the original, if you know?

Old 03-07-2004, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

are the ones you show in the picture normally in the open position, and when vacumm is applied they go in the closed mode? that`s what it looks like in the picture.

Old 03-07-2004, 04:49 PM
Exhaust Guru

Hi Forrest,
I have the original patents and have been working with the original designer. He has been tremendously helpful.

The OEM ones were 5" by 9.25" by about 19" and I am working hard to get a company to send these sized parts to build two of them for trials. The ones in the photos are 5" by 11" by 18" with 2.5" inlets and outlets. OEMS ones were 2" in and 2.25" out.

They are normally closed and when you pull a vacuum (via the Tiger Button under the dash), they open (like the originals did).

The goal is to get two sets together and the sound checked and then turn the methods of making them over to someone that does this stuff for a living.

These are made with pretty much off the shelf parts with help from about three muffler companies and several suppliers including Chris here at PY. He found the vacuum diaphragms and donated them to the effort. We would like to make non-original versions that could be adapted to normal cars.

I can tell you what I had to do so far to make these. Please email me if you are interested. thand@kc.rr.com.

Tom Hand

Old 03-07-2004, 09:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

sounds cool Tom. Is there any chance they will be for sale within the next three months?

ET 13.2 and spinning like a mother

ET 12.504
MPH 107
3940 lbs
Old 03-08-2004, 05:47 PM
Exhaust Guru

Darrell, I seriously doubt it since we have to find a real manufacturer to produce them and lots of testing is still needed. It is tough to get in when real muffler guys are very very busy and this is such a limited interest item. However, things are more likely now than they were one year ago .

Tom Hand

Old 03-08-2004, 06:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ohh well I will just get the cut out X system then.

ET 13.2 and spinning like a mother

ET 12.504
MPH 107
3940 lbs
Old 03-20-2004, 04:39 PM
Exhaust Guru

The VOE II mufflers are completed and we may get to hear them on a Pontiac engine shortly. If all goes well, we will use similar methods (that we used to record the Silent Power CD) to record the VOE II mufflers in the open and in the closed mode. I will provide an update as soon as we have any information to share.
Tom Hand

Old 03-20-2004, 08:42 PM

I think I am missing something here.

When tooling around town (highest vacuum) the mufflers are bypassed, and when your foot is in it (lowest vacuum) the mufflers come into play ?

Wouldn't you want it the otherway around ?

Like I said, I am probably missing something somewhere.

K

Old 03-20-2004, 09:02 PM

The mufflers are operated by a knob inside the car to open and close the cutout nothing to do with how the engine is running.

Old 03-21-2004, 06:13 AM
Exhaust Guru

And like 70-455RA said, these were manually operated. They even needed an auxiliary vacuum canister (like the tripowers) to “have low enough vacuum” to pop them open at times of low vacuum (wide open throttle). They were not supposed to be on cars with RAIV engines; not sure if that was the vacuum issue or not but I am betting it was part of it. Pipe size may have also been an issue; stock ones of these were 2.00" in and 2.25" out.