Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 11-28-2004, 07:59 PM
Exhaust Guru

First, thanks for the compliments Joe.

No one makes such a thing and that is why most F-bodies have had to use undercar mufflers or the Flowmaster one.

This one provides great sound, low sound level, and great airflow as well as stock ground clearance (which is really needed with today's trend towards lowering).

With this muffler, it sounds as good as Ultra-Flows do on GTOs; not too loud, not too quiet with no crackling or resonation that will tend to drone you to death.

I am very excited about this and hope it can be produced soon enough.

Old 11-29-2004, 10:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Looks damn good Tom! It would be weird (in a good way!) to drive a lowered first gen without the pipes dragging on speed bumps :-)

Mike M

Old 11-29-2004, 05:16 PM
Exhaust Guru

Mike, I agree that driving over speed bumps without a care is a good thing! . These will do it.

Old 11-29-2004, 05:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't have an early F car (yet) but I know all about the low car scraping deal. I cringe every time I go over a speed bump in my Bonnevilles. Always waiting for that SCRAAAAAAAAAAAAPPE.

I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I didn't have to worry about that.

Old 11-30-2004, 09:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Now we're cooking Tom!

Chris, are you listening??? We NEED this system - and soon!

Super to find this muffler and fabricate the over-axle and tail pipe to make it work! Kudos once again to Tom Hand and his friends willing to prototype the system on their cars!

Chris - please work with Tom and get this done ASAP! PLEASE!

I wanna get it installed on my blue Formula in time to run some 12.50's at the 2005 PSN's!

Chris, are you listening?

Many thanks once again.

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 11-30-2004, 08:09 PM
Exhaust Guru

Lloyd, the box will be on the FedEx to PY/Pypes Wednesday evening so by next week, it should be safely in PA. Then, the PY/Pypes team can assemble it onto their test vehicles and determine feasiblity. We shall hope for the best.

Old 11-30-2004, 08:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I concur with Llyod.Please Pypes make this system. I want one for the summer cruising season.

Old 12-01-2004, 02:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Come on, Chris - Tom has once again spent MANY hours of his time researching and fabricating the prototype system. PLEASE make this one happen.

Oh, and don't forget - please utilize the UltraFlow muffler as well!

TIA.

Old 12-01-2004, 09:01 PM
Administrator

I promise this prototype system will be tested in December and I should have an answer on whether it is feasible to reproduce by mid January. In the meantime, Mike Z is taking pre-orders(no money up front required) because we need at least 15 of you who want this type of system to be able to justify putting it into production. So spread the word. You might need to get the Chev guys interested if we can't get 15 Pontiacers by mid January.

e-mail mikez@pypesexhaust.com

Old 12-01-2004, 10:27 PM
Senior Chief

I emailed Mike Z and let him know that I'm definitely interested also. The Flowmaster crossflow system that I currently have leaves plenty to be desired.

How many interested parties does that give us?

Old 12-02-2004, 06:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ccass:
I promise this prototype system will be tested in December and I should have an answer on whether it is feasible to reproduce by mid January. In the meantime, Mike Z is taking pre-orders(no money up front required) because we need at least 15 of you who want this type of system to be able to justify putting it into production. So spread the word. You might need to get the Chev guys interested if we can't get 15 Pontiacers by mid January.

e-mail mikez@pypesexhaust.com <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mucho thanks, Chris!

This system will be a "home run" for those who need a free flowing 2nd gen Firebird or Camaro system, but still want to have OEM appearance and ground clearance.

I'll be sending Mike an e-mail today.

Old 12-02-2004, 06:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Chris!

This system will be the key to completing your already vast product line for 2nd Gen F-bodies. I have already sent my pre order to Mike. As you know, I have been waiting for this for a long time.

Keep up the great work.

2012 SRT8 Charger - 12.70 @ 111mph
Old 12-02-2004, 07:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Is this going to be available for us 1st gen guys also ???

67 Firebird Convert 455 +.060 TH400 74cc KRE d-ports piston dished 16cc H-beam rods Comp Cam 305-AH-8 cam 108* LSA 253/260 @.050 duration .577/.594 lift w/1.65 rockers Ford 9" 3.50 Detroit Locker M/T Sportsman Radials 31x18x15 on Convo Pro 15x15s
Old 12-02-2004, 12:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

ya! what 67 455 bird ragtop said! since mine is almost 1" lower, id like to keep my 67 bird looking factory. ho manifolds with x/over pype's & crossflow muff. ya baby!!!

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 12-02-2004, 03:13 PM
Exhaust Guru

67 and Poncho, I bet it will work because the tailppipes will fit your cars and the muffler is very similar in size to the OEM one. I think yours were 20 to 21" versions, I'll check later and report back. It will be good for PYPES to have this checked so others like you can run this setup.
Tom

Old 12-02-2004, 03:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Flowmaster makes a setup similar to this with a transverse muffler. I have it installed on my 73.

Old 12-02-2004, 03:54 PM
Exhaust Guru

73, it is not quite the same. Theirs uses the typical Flowmaster baffled muffler, paired in a side by side fashion.

In the setup (in the photos) use of a packed, dual, straight through muffler (like the Ultra-Flo in the photos) can provide the tone without so much of the noise and as a bonus, the airflow is increased significantly.

I agree with you that for years, the 2.5" Flowmaster has been the only real transverse 2.5" muffler around. Testing has indicated it is not as good though at passing a lot of exhaust mainly due to the way it is packed tightly internally to get the sound and the tone Flowmasters are known for. This is not meant to be negative because, as in all muffler situations, people should select them based on personal preferences in sound, sound level, tone and price .

We hope this one offers another option and based on what I've seen and heard so far, it should.

Old 12-02-2004, 04:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I wish we were closer. I'd love to do a comparison, sound & HP, between the two.

Old 12-02-2004, 06:01 PM
Exhaust Guru

I agree with you 73TA; it would be great to see a test and I am betting that we can eventually find some folks to test this system with the new Try-Y headers.

I have heard this 17276 Ultra-Flo on a Firebird and I have heard the Flowmasters, both versions, on another Firebird and I can tell you this one sounds like the Ultra-Flo 17288 (9?) mufflers recorded on the Silent Power CD. With the X crossover, I am betting it will sound exactly like the 17288 (9?) mufflers on the CD and on Dad's car except a little louder at high RPMs since each flow path has only half the volume of sound absorbing material.

Old 12-02-2004, 07:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Attn: Mike and Chris....

With the overwhelming sales and response to Ron's new Tri-y's, I'm sure you will have the same success, if this prototype is ever produced for market.
There are too many folks out there with ground clearance issues(G-machines), than 15 sets will accomodate.