Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 11-15-2006, 02:23 PM

Default If'n you need a sample -D port 2nd Gen Fbody

If I recall, my set are one of the last first run. Lack later improvements, as I believe these are "automatic" specific, though can't be sure, he was aware of how to correct when I got mine.
Still new in shipping box, and I'm still $$$$ from building a motor, priorities change.

Just a thought

Ken B

Old 11-15-2006, 02:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"I think if Ron could reply here(or to each of you who have paid orders)"

Therein lies the key to the whole problem.....a little bit of communication goes a long way......

Old 11-15-2006, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccass
That would depend on how Ron wanted to handle it. From my last conversation this summer, I'm not sure he is interested in passing the project along. However, with these incredible lead times and a new job, maybe he feels different now. With samples and a little guidance I could have this project done rather quickly. If Ron helped me with this, we could probably work something out so existing paid orders are honored. If Pypes had to start from scratch, then existing orders would obviously be Ron's responsibility. I have a pretty good idea what Ron has gone thru over this project and on one hand I would feel it unfair for me to take it over without giving him fair warning. On the other hand, this topic has monopolized the PY Exhaust forum for probably 3 years and as a Pontiac enthusiast and a businessman, it's hard to standby when I could provide a resolution for our readership. I think if Ron could reply here(or to each of you who have paid orders) with some reasonable 'drop dead' timeframes, then I'll back off. If nobody hears from him, unfortunately you are probably sol.
Chris, if you could work something out with Ron to complete the existing orders, I'd certainly be in to purchase a full exhaust system to go with the new headers.

Mike

1977 Trans Am Y82
'69 428, stock '69 #16's, 041 RAIV/Rhoads, 3.42s, Cliff Q-Jet, Continental Tight-10/TH350, RA Manifolds (oversized, ported) with Pypes x-pipe system and Street Pro's, Edelbrock Classic IAS shocks, PST polygraphite suspension, custom subframe connectors.

Still waiting on my Tri-Y headers (since June 2005).
Old 11-15-2006, 03:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
How many different versions of this Tri-Y are needed. So far in this post I see;

70-81 d-port
70-81 round port
64-?? round port? Tom what would they fit? 64-67 or 64-72? Why would one want a TriY on a round port motor rather than a 4 tube header like Doug's?

67-69 Firebird D and ROUND port. (Also for 68-76? X-body)

Old 11-15-2006, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77TA-SE
Chris, if you could work something out with Ron to complete the existing orders, I'd certainly be in to purchase a full exhaust system to go with the new headers.

Mike
Me too! I've been waiting for my set of headers so I could order the rest of the system to go with it. '64 LeMans, D-port.

Old 11-15-2006, 06:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FritzCat
Me too! I've been waiting for my set of headers so I could order the rest of the system to go with it. '64 LeMans, D-port.
I'd go for that myself. 2nd gen F-body round port.

Old 11-15-2006, 06:30 PM
Senior Chief

Thumbs up

Quote:
How many different versions of this Tri-Y are needed. So far in this post I see;

70-81 d-port
70-81 round port
64-?? round port? Tom what would they fit? 64-67 or 64-72? Why would one want a TriY on a round port motor rather than a 4 tube header like Doug's?
I'd purchase a pair of D-ports for an A-body if price could be held to ~$500.

Old 11-15-2006, 07:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I will buy a D Port 1 7/8" for a 68 Firebird. Ron did say he was going to try and pattern a First Gen Firebird in 2006.Hopefully you can work something out with him. Everyone who has them really likes the product.

Old 11-15-2006, 09:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I helped out Ron by test fitting the first run set which later became auto only when they did not fit my car. I have a set of second run D-Ports that fit either trans and if I can help, let me know. Unfortunately, they are in the car or Chris, I would have shipped them to you by now.

71 Formula 433, Splayed cap 400 block, 4" stroke Scat forged crank, 6.8 Eagle rods, custom Autotec pistons. SD 295 KRE D ports, Old faithful hybrid roller, Torker II, Holley Sniper Stealth, Tribal Tubes, TKO 600, 3.73 Eaton posi.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Well now I see why Ron has disappeared! That's about 5 or 6 different header applications and 1 or 2 of you for each.

Old 11-16-2006, 12:26 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:

"64-?? round port? Tom what would they fit? 64-67 or 64-72? Why would one want a TriY on a round port motor rather than a 4 tube header like Doug's?"

Tri-Ys built correctly will make more torque vs a 4 tube header in the lower rpm ranges.

Tr-Ys built correctly will package easier vs the Dougs headers if done correctly.

Tr-Ys built for 64-67 GTOs will allow 2" round tube headers at a reasonable price vs the Doug's headers. 68-72 type headers will not typically fit a 64-67 GTO.

I would put a round port on a race engine and a tri-Y on a good street engine. My convert is a street engine.

Hope that helps.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think you would cover 80% of the intended market with a D-port header for the A and 2nd gen F body. So that would be two headers that would fit both transmissions.

71 Formula 433, Splayed cap 400 block, 4" stroke Scat forged crank, 6.8 Eagle rods, custom Autotec pistons. SD 295 KRE D ports, Old faithful hybrid roller, Torker II, Holley Sniper Stealth, Tribal Tubes, TKO 600, 3.73 Eaton posi.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Exactly, and why does a round port header have to be a different design. It seems to me they would be exactly the same until it got within two inches of the head, then you would just install the correct flange and whalah, round ports!

Seems like it would be two jigs, 64-72 A body, and 2nd gen f body

Old 11-16-2006, 07:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Been following ALL of the Tri-Y threads with some interest. I'm not gonna get into the discussions, and my experience with Ron was fine.

It's a shame that all this has happened!

I have a set - new in the box and ceramic coated - from one of Ron's very first runs.

2nd Gen Firebird, round port, 2 1/2" collectors.

Chris, I'd be willing to loan my set to PYPES as a pattern, but since mine are the earliest design - and therefor automatic only - dunno if it would help or not.

Let me know, contact info in my sig.

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 11-18-2006, 09:11 PM

I visited Ron at his work for 1.5 hours today, and here is a summary of what he said:
Ran out of funds. Got job to support family. Current workload doesn't allow time for answering emails. Seeking additional funding, expects to get it within a couple weeks, which will allow him to finish the current orders and hire people for future production. Everyone who paid will eventually get headers, or a refund.

I didn't get the impression he was giving me a line of BS. I think he's a good person with good intentions who had a huge run of setbacks. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for a little while longer.

Old 11-19-2006, 03:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Fritz.
Thanks for the heads up. That is close to what I thought was going on. It's good to have some info on Ron, I think a few people besides myself were starting to get concerned about him healthwise, etc. What he's been trying to do for the hobby is a big task for one man especially without a lot of financial backing or setbacks. If you happen to talk to him again, maybe you can let him know I will wait for the headers and wish him the best.

Old 11-22-2006, 03:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FritzCat
I visited Ron at his work for 1.5 hours today, and here is a summary of what he said:
Ran out of funds. Got job to support family. Current workload doesn't allow time for answering emails. Seeking additional funding, expects to get it within a couple weeks, which will allow him to finish the current orders and hire people for future production. Everyone who paid will eventually get headers, or a refund.

I didn't get the impression he was giving me a line of BS. I think he's a good person with good intentions who had a huge run of setbacks. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for a little while longer.

Hey man, thanks for posting this. It is nice that someone talked to him, and I am glad he is not in a shelter or something.

However, the part about not having time to return e-mails is pure B.S. He has looked at everyone of my PMs so it is for sure that he is getting on the internet alot. So rest assured that he is choosing not to respond instead of not having a chance to.

Refund for me please. After almost two years, I had to go ahead and order a different set from another place. So if you get a chance to talk to him again, please let him know that I just want the money back to pay for these headers.

Thanks again for the update.

Old 11-22-2006, 04:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree with gearbanger that not returning emails is BS........he had time to talk to me on the phone and answer emails when I ordered my set. He took the time to tell me that it would be a 5-6 week delivery time, when he knew that wasn't even close to the truth.

Funny how he had time before he had my money, and now that he has my money, it's a different story........the worthless money order stub for $720 is a constant reminder what a buffoon I've been....I'm older and wiser now......

Refund for me, too, please.

Old 11-22-2006, 05:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I hate to hear about how things have gone from bad to worse for Ron and those waiting for headers. My dealings with him were great. I was in constant contact with him during the entire time I was waiting for my headers. Ron and I became friends. We continued to stay in contact even months after he had my money and I had received my headers.

Now that he has had to go back into the work force to support his family, I have been unable to contact him. I guess there comes a breaking point for people's patience, and I guess that time has arrived.

I sincerely hope that Ron is able to continue with this project (without killing him) and those with money outstanding either get headers or a refund. If Ron is the guy I believe him to be, then things will be made right.

I also hope that Larry N. gets his original HO-Tri-y's back that he let Ron use as a prototype. Don't give up hope Larry.

John

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots!"
Old 11-22-2006, 05:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Johnsma, thanks for your comments......

Personally, I would be A LOT more patient if Ron would just simply respond in some fashion...be it a phone call or email.....maybe if he doesn't have time for that, then a reply on this board would suffice for me and maybe a few others.

I understand he is "small potatos" and starting up a business and may be having employee, supplier problems, etc......that is to be expected, and I think most would understand.

You had a good experience...that's great...wish I could say the same......

How would the "average joe pontiac" feel if:

The guy has over $700 of your money with NO WAY or recourse to get it back
The guy won't return your phone calls after repeated attempts
The guy won't return your emails or respond in any fashion despite your repeated attempts
The guy has a website no longer.

Now I understand better why 73ta took the action he took.

If I get tri-y headers, great...they're going on e-Pay...if I get a refund, then I'll just figure x-mas came a little early this year. I already went out and bought a set of Doug's headers......If I get neither, then it's just a reminder of what a chump I am, and it won't happen again.......no more favors or interest-free loans for fellow Pontiyackers.

I'm done with this whole issue.......

Jim