Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 06-18-2012, 03:10 PM

Default Theory about exhaust drone

I installed the Pypes 2.5" system with X-pipe on my '69 LeMans, along with the Dynomax 14" turbo mufflers. This is supposed to be a relatively drone-free setup, but I get horrible drone at idle in drive, and at various other RPM points. Skull-rattling drone.

I have a theory about what's causing the drone. I have the '69 bent trumpet tips, and they exit well before the back bumper. I'm thinking that the hollow area back there creates a box for resonance, and that's why I'm getting this awful drone at several speeds.

Thoughts?

I'm going to install the 2.5" Pypes turn-downs, which are longer and should exit beyond the bumper. I'll report back my findings. I hope I'm right!

Old 06-18-2012, 03:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Anytime the exhaust can hit the floor it's going to be louder than if it exits away from sheet metal. The sheet metal acts like a speaker and amplifies noise. Put your head inside of a 55 gallon drum sometime and see how much noise gets amplified.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 06-18-2012, 06:40 PM
Senior Chief

Make sure the exhaust is isolated from the body by the exhaust hangers.
I replaced very quiet 14" Midas "golden turbo" style mufflers with louder better
flowing 14" Dynomax super turbos. But I also rehung the system using proper
mounts with isolators in the OEM locations. Made a huge difference. The system
is louder overall on the outside, but no drone on the inside.

1977 TA 400 9.5:1 CR 351hp 414LbFt, #13 Heads + 1.52 Roller rockers, 1968 Pontiac 400 intake, Holley 4165 650 DP #7054
Howards Hyd .447/.467 IN:288 EX:298 214/224@.050, MSD6A + MSD timing control + H2o/Meth
1-5/8" headers, Magnaflow 200CPI Cats + 2.5" Pypes X, Dynomax STs, TH-700R4 2200 stall, 3.42 Eaton 10-bolt, PS/PB/PW/PL/AC/Cruise
13.84@100.14mph 2.18 60' on P255-60-R15 radials, pump gas, mpg : 21.5 hwy 15.2 city
Old 06-19-2012, 03:09 AM
Suspended

Default Drone

I have the dynomax 16" mufflers the turbo style & I to have an X-pipe in the proper plce according to the placement sheet. It stops at the rear axel, 2 1/2 " pipes & at just about any speed I get drone. I have hush mat with insulation & carpet. It's so loud at times I can't hear myself think. It's all mounted with the factory mounts in the rubber hangers but It is still very loud. I think it may have to do with the X-pipe more then the placement & the way there hung. I think this becaue before I had an X-pipe it was not as loud as it is now. I think maybe the X-pipe scavanging process is the reason it's louder & has the drone now. Am I out in left field or can I be right?????

Old 06-19-2012, 07:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Any exhaust I have seen an X or and H usually quiets a previously separated system down although it does change the tone. I had a separated system with turbo mufflers under the back seat area and stock type tailpipes on a 75 T/A and it was a major headache to drive on the interstate with. I was going to try an H pipe to change it but never got around to it.

I do believe it would have gotten rid of some of the noise because I had built 2 systems on 2 other T/As just using the pellet type catalytic convertors on both sides and no mufflers and with an H pipe it quieted both cars down so they weren't objectionable on the road.

I feel if it's too loud and objectionable with an H or an X pipe you just flat out have the wrong muffler. Another nice feature with the H or X is they give more bottom end that you can feel (seat dyno) over true duals.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 06-19-2012, 07:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have the 2 1/2" Pypes Stret Pro system with "X" pipe on my car and there is no droan heard. Usually if you do get a droan it is while driving in high gear.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have an X pipe and flowmaster 40 series muffs and have a little drone at about 2500 RPM on the highway, but only at that one speed. A couple hundred RPM more or less and it goes away. 71 TA with factory style tails exiting like factory.

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 06-19-2012, 09:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

One of my favorite topics.

My observation based on the fleet of pontiacs that me and my brother have.
My theory on Possible Drone Causers:

Larger the exhaust more susceptible
Convertibles more susceptible
strait through mufflers more susceptible
shorter mufflers more susceptible
shorter exhaust systems more susceptible
Larger displacement engines
X - pipes???

I have some cars that have drone and some that don't

Old 06-19-2012, 10:18 AM
Senior Chief

I am no acoustics expert by any means, but from my minimal research its about resonant frequencies of the pipes which is determined by the length and diameter.

An analogy is a guitar string. If you pluck a string it resonates at some frequency based on length, width, and tension. If you very lightly touch the string at the mid point (like when tuning) and pluck the string again the resonate frequency shifts up (probably doubles) and the sound is much higher.

I installed an extra pair of hangers about midway between the collectors and the splitters. The location is in the drive shaft tunnel. They are not there to support the
exhaust pipes, but to help snub the resonate frequency of the length of pipe.

There's alot more going on inside an exhaust pipe than a guitar string, but I figure the frequency of the pipe that's transmitted to the body shell through the hangers adds to drone. If you can influence that frequency (double it) the resonance will occur at 4000 rpm rather than 2000 rpm cruising rpm.

1977 TA 400 9.5:1 CR 351hp 414LbFt, #13 Heads + 1.52 Roller rockers, 1968 Pontiac 400 intake, Holley 4165 650 DP #7054
Howards Hyd .447/.467 IN:288 EX:298 214/224@.050, MSD6A + MSD timing control + H2o/Meth
1-5/8" headers, Magnaflow 200CPI Cats + 2.5" Pypes X, Dynomax STs, TH-700R4 2200 stall, 3.42 Eaton 10-bolt, PS/PB/PW/PL/AC/Cruise
13.84@100.14mph 2.18 60' on P255-60-R15 radials, pump gas, mpg : 21.5 hwy 15.2 city
Old 06-19-2012, 01:15 PM

ericwy you are saying you don't have any Drone ????

Old 06-19-2012, 02:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexs73gto View Post
I have the dynomax 16" mufflers the turbo style & I to have an X-pipe in the proper plce according to the placement sheet. It stops at the rear axel, 2 1/2 " pipes & at just about any speed I get drone. I have hush mat with insulation & carpet. It's so loud at times I can't hear myself think. It's all mounted with the factory mounts in the rubber hangers but It is still very loud. I think it may have to do with the X-pipe more then the placement & the way there hung. I think this becaue before I had an X-pipe it was not as loud as it is now. I think maybe the X-pipe scavanging process is the reason it's louder & has the drone now. Am I out in left field or can I be right?????
Are you saying you dont have tail pipes? Probably not what you meant but, tail pipes do wonders to quiet the cabin compared to without them.

I had some Race Pro mufflers which sounded really good outside the car, not too loud either. But the straight through design made alot of drone inside the car. I switched to some Dynomax Super Turbos, they have an 'S' design inside, somewhat noticable difference outside the car but a big difference inside the car. This is a 3" system with headers and an X.

68 Firebird, trying a q-jet now. 434/10.5:1/997's/240-242 HFT/4L80E/2800 Yank/3.42's/ Vintage Air/ 13.0 @105 mph
70 Lemans, 350/350, A/C, mostly stock
14 Ram CC, 5.7 Hemi, 8-speed, 3.92 lsd
97 Trans Am, HPP Aug 2012 http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...tiac_trans_am/ ***Sold***
Old 06-19-2012, 02:47 PM
Suspended

Default Drone

Sirro says he put on a converter on each side of the exhaust, that in itself will stop almost all noise because by putting on a conv. you are simply putting on a super quite muffler. Cats are designed to no only collect gases but to quite a system so that system doesn't really count because were running exhaust with no convs. I have 2 1/2 " exhaust with larger mufflers then some which I wanted to help quite down my noise level , but it still has the drone. I have 3.73 rear gears so at just about any speed I hear it. I will try tail pipes next. I forgot to say I run Ram Air exhaust manifolds too. The new 2 1/2" style. My car has the x-pipe & should be qiute but it's not. When I had my last set of headers with real duels no X-pipe & walker turbo mufflers I didn't have any drone. Is it now just the mufflers were buying that are causing the problem drone??? It seems everyone on here has some form of drone with teh new exhaust were installing. Are the muffler were useing now seem to be noisey for the sake of a little extra hp?? I want to have exhaust on my car that allows me to hear myself think while I drive. Can anyone help in give me an idea on which muffler to use for that. I din't have this problem with the past exhaust without an X-pipe. ANY IDEAS?????

Old 06-19-2012, 04:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Put the tail pipes on before you do anything else. I thought my exhaust was louder with more drone than systems I used to have several years ago but I think the reality is that I am just getting older. Not that I'm old but I'm not that teenager or twenty-something I used to be! LOL!

68 Firebird, trying a q-jet now. 434/10.5:1/997's/240-242 HFT/4L80E/2800 Yank/3.42's/ Vintage Air/ 13.0 @105 mph
70 Lemans, 350/350, A/C, mostly stock
14 Ram CC, 5.7 Hemi, 8-speed, 3.92 lsd
97 Trans Am, HPP Aug 2012 http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...tiac_trans_am/ ***Sold***
Old 06-19-2012, 05:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tailpipes should make a BIG difference !