Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-17-2009, 05:38 PM

Default 4-spd muncie making noise when cold

I just had the clutch replaced about 500 miles ago but this is the first time I've noticed this issue.

I pulled my 68 forward out of the garage in 1st gear and I could feel and hear an audible rhythmic transmission noise in the 1st gear similar to when you're in reverse ("Ruuurb ruuurb ruuuurb") but not quite as loud as Reverse. I could also feel it slightly vibrating in the shifter and clutch.

The noise stopped after it was running for about 2 minutes and I drove it about a block.

Is it just because I didn't let the car warm up for about 2 minutes like I normally do before driving? It's not very cold here (near 70 degrees) in LA.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wouldn't worry about it. Some manual transmissions make a little bit of noise when they are cold.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:07 PM

OK Thanks Ken. I drove it for a while today afterwards and it seemed to be fine.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:36 AM

Default There she blows!

I had similar sounds with a t-5 in a 5.0 mustang. Add a half a tube of limited slip differential additive (whale oil-back in the day) and it will help allot and improve the shifting. It gets cold hear...below zero and sounds change their pitch dramatically when colder.

Last edited by Lonster; 12-18-2009 at 10:39 AM. Reason: more
Old 12-19-2009, 07:21 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Mine does same thing. My baby also don't like to go into second when its cold outside, so I just go from 1st to third until she warms up.