Old 04-01-2022, 08:03 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
1970 alt rear bracket and the front PS and rear PS are same as other Pontiacs from 67-70 as I recall.
While there is many weird 1 off things on this transitional year car, its not rocket science.
Guess ill have to make a video..
a 2bbl 350 bird with AC will have same hardware as a RA3 car with AC.
That being said.....a 70 bird...with a 350 2bbl.....has become rarer...than a 70 TA..

The Following User Says Thank You to Green Hornet For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2022, 12:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Brackets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Hornet View Post
That being said.....a 70 bird...with a 350 2bbl.....has become rarer...than a 70 TA..
My 70 esprit 2 barrel has ac and power steering but compressor us missing.

Old 04-01-2022, 02:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Hornet View Post
True, many have been parted, but have to remember '70 wasn't a banner year for 2nd Gen Bird production. Over the last 4 decades I've only had 7 or 8 complete '70 V8 Bird bracket/pulley set-ups that I stripped off engines. For over 25 years, I extensively boneyarded & hauled in partscars. Hitting swappers & occasionally setting up, used to be an every other weekend deal. If anything, the early years of Bulletin Boards & early eBay helped flush out bits & pieces of this bracket/pulley set, which helped put together more sets. Nothing wrong with the reproduction '70 Firebird only brackets & pulleys, I've laid them out next to originals, then bolted them up. FWIW, '70 Bird non AC pulleys are not repro'ed, neither are '70 Bird manual steering.

Old 04-01-2022, 06:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We got the PS pump of the Formula to find out where it was leaking. We drained the fluid and rinsed the reservoir & pump body out with solvent then air dried it. We filled it up with more solvent and hand turned the pump pulley shaft a bit and then waited. After a minute we found our leak around the high pressure nut. The solvent started dripping almost immediately, so we suspect a faulty O-ring between the housing and pump body. It's the wet looking perimeter around and the drip below the HP nut...hard to capture in the pictures.

We got a new O-ring kit and could see that the high-side O-ring that we put in a year ago was not quite as deep/thick as the new one, so we are hoping that the old one wasn't making a good seal. We'll see once we get her all back together soon.

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	'70 F PS HighPressure Leak 1.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	587756   Click image for larger version

Name:	'70 F PS HighPressure Leak 2.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	587757  

Old 04-07-2022, 04:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There a source for the longer rear studs? If not, what is the length of threads out from the built on "nut" ?
One I have off is 1-3/8" thoughts? Thanks

Old 04-08-2022, 11:19 AM

Upper Stud is 1.50
Lower Stud is 1.75
This is threaded length of each.

Old 04-08-2022, 12:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAirBirds View Post
Upper Stud is 1.50
Lower Stud is 1.75
This is threaded length of each.
Thanks!

Old 04-16-2022, 11:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We ended up rebuilding the original power steering pump...again...and found that the high pressure seal that goes between the pump casting and reservoir body wasn't quite thick enough to make a tight seal between the two, even with the big nut tight. The rebuild kit had thicker 'O'-ring gaskets that was wider than the one we installed the first time a couple years ago. After replacing all the other seals and 'O'-rings throughout the pump, back in it went, bled the air out of the system, and the initial run was successful...no leaks. So we're keeping our eye on the cardboard under the front end for a few days to see if it "marks its territory" with a small puddle like it had in the past after every engine operation.

We're getting pretty quick with the R & R process...lol! I'll have to say it was really hard to not 'restore' the brackets, pump, etc. when we had it all off and apart. We are preserving the 'patina'...other than doing obligatory degreasing.

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220415_150040.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	588862   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220415_150059.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	588863  

The Following User Says Thank You to SD455DJ For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2022, 12:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Working on/maintaining a survivor.....is always a challenge.....because you have to make it look...like you haven't been there...

I would have prolly rebuilt the pump and re-installed it in it's natural unpainted condition..

Hopefully you used cheap rattle can paint on it...so it will fade out quickly

Old 04-16-2022, 12:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Green Hornet, We didn't repaint anything, we just cleaned the old baked-on grease/grime off and exposed what thin original black paint was left (not much lol!). The original reservoir had some big paint runs on the back (engine) side I wish I had taken a picture of.

Dennis

Old 04-16-2022, 04:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Originals have cheap black Alkalyd paint like other brackets that ran easily. This was to protect from rust in transit from forge and stamp to the sub assy areas. Even the red oxide dip had drips and runs ( Norwood).