Old 04-11-2023, 09:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike202 View Post
Well I just went through this water pump swap trying to cool off my 1969 Grand Prix. Car is stock with AC, 428 and stock shroud and a new heavy duty fan clutch. I did install a 28" Griffin aluminum radiator and a 180° Mr Gasket thermostat.

Anyway, it always ran hot especially with the AC on. I just replaced the pump with a new cast impeller GMB pump and I hammered the divider plate to get about 1/"16" clearance. The old pump also had a cast impeller and had about 1/4" clearance to the plate.

Today driving at 75 mph with 93° ambient temperature, the engine coolant temp is 198° with AC off and about 210° with AC on. These numbers are unchanged compared to the old pump.

The motor is fresh so there is no issue with blocked coolant passages. I am running 70/30 water/coolant mix.
GM cast impeller has full vanes from hub hole to edge GMB does not . Was the 1 you removed full vanes close to the edge ? Add some more timing & fatten it up a bit & temps will drop.

Last edited by chrisp; 04-11-2023 at 09:58 AM. Reason: duh
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrisp For This Useful Post: