Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 11-17-2019, 04:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default computer

Can anyone recommend a good low priced 15.6 inch laptop?

Old 11-18-2019, 09:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not real familiar with the brands out there now, but I have an IBM/Lenovo Think Pad that is about 10 years old and still working. I use it down in the shop to order part/hardware without having to run upstairs to the PC.

Old 11-18-2019, 12:03 PM

Tons of options out there. What is the laptop being used for? Web surfing, gaming, work, etc. That'll help narrow down the mem, proc, drives, vid card, etc.

Old 11-19-2019, 09:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

EBAY, YOUTUBE, email, this, photos, stupid stuff. No work or gaming.

Old 11-20-2019, 12:55 AM

I wouldn't be afraid of refurb, but if it's for someone not as savvy on laptops I would go with new w/ warranty.

There really isn't much difference in vendors as far as I'm concerned. They're using the same parts for the most part. My concern is normally manageability and serviceability. Not as much a concern on a standalone device.

Here's a quick link on some search criteria I consider a basis to work from.

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100006...44&Order=PRICE

Good luck on the search!

Old 11-20-2019, 10:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you have any type of small business, I would recommend buying a Dell and shopping the Dell Outlet Deals on Black Friday AM. I own a rental house, so I used that to qualify as a small business. I bought an awesome Dell T7600 desktop workstation that I've used for at least five years. It's a big unit, holds multiple hard drives that are plug and play, was loaded up with memory, advanced graphics cards, and came with a three year warranty. It is an awesome computer. I bought it for about 33% of what it cost new. It was classified as scratch and dent, but I couldn't find any signs of damage. It even came with RAID (which I don't use).

The drawback is that it only had a 300G hard drive. My guess is that it was a corporate buy that the order got cancelled on because they had a bunch that were identical. The company probably had the computers save to a network, or installed their own hard drives once they got them. I set up the documents on the D drive and use the C drive for the operating system.

I also got a killer deal on a laptop workstation a couple of years ago. Dell advertises Black Friday deals for weeks before Black Friday, but the best deals are on Friday AM.

Mike

Old 11-20-2019, 11:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I tried to buy my kids a “cheap” laptop. The first two I tried didn’t even come with enough hard drive or solid state space to do the first windows update. So - those machines (that I returned) were pretty much worthless, but Dell was all too happy to sell me one of ‘em.