Old 11-11-2001, 08:47 PM

hi, i've been experiencing some problems with my '86 T/A, which i've owned since July.
Having never owned one before, i'm a little lost as to where i can find information, so hopfully this 'group' will be a good start! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
basically when you come to a road junction and brake, the engine speed drop to 5-600 rpm as usual, but then 8 out of 10 times it starts to splutter and if you dont apply a bit of welly on the throttle it'll die. i must point out that this doesn't happen ALL of the time, but a good majority. The amount of time after arriving at idle, to it starting to splutter then die varies, and doesn't seem to be constant. mind you, when you are trying to leave the lights, then start spluttering loads, having time to flip the tranny into neutral, start it, back into drive, then go, whilst timing how long it took to start spluttering, you dont tend to notice [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] when providing this 'welly' for want of a better expression, the engine speed struggles to rise, but does so after a few seconds. during this time it runs very very roughly, showing very little power and barely provides enough power to move the car forward. this has proved to be a bit hazardous when trying to leave a junction in a slight hurry [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
The hesitation? if thats the right word, also happens when you gun the throttle at any speed, it is more noticable at low speed, upon flooring the pedal, you wait for about 2-3 seconds before the car accelerates. when it does start to accelerate it does so roughly and quite slowly for a car with such a big engine.
starting the car in the morning is also a bit problematic as in whilst cranking once the engine kicks, you have to apply some throttle to keep the thing from stalling. you have to do this for at least 3 mins otherwise the engine stalls.
incidently the idle then die problem happens on either a hot or cold engine.
Right so theres a problems, i've checked the spark plugs which have only done 1000 miles since they were put in new. the deposits were of a the tan color you apparently associate with a correct mixture. removed the dizzy cap and cleaned the contacts inside, removed all deposits.
Having purchased a chiltons manual on the firebird, i've tried to work out where these symptoms lead. this aint easy when about 10 or so things can cause these symptoms!!
This is as far as i have got since i really dont know where to start with the engine.
having previously been more used to fixing Landrovers!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] i would class myself as fairly competant with mechanics of motor vehicles, but this is an entirly new kettle of fish to me, and i dont want to make any costly mistakes. living in the UK parts can sometimes be quite hard to get hold of! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
specs:- 1986 Firebird T/A, 305ci V8 (LB9) TPI motor, 700r4 auto box.
Thanks for your time in reading this!!! Absolutly any help at all would be very much greatly appreciated! not having owened the car long, i've still managed to have a lot of fun driving the thing about (even though it stalls frequently) and it is this which has kept my enthusiasm for the American Motors running! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Thanks again, and hope to hear from anyone soon. Phill Blanchard.
p.s if you require any more info which may be of use, please dont hesitate to contact me!
thanks again.

Old 11-11-2001, 08:47 PM

hi, i've been experiencing some problems with my '86 T/A, which i've owned since July.
Having never owned one before, i'm a little lost as to where i can find information, so hopfully this 'group' will be a good start! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
basically when you come to a road junction and brake, the engine speed drop to 5-600 rpm as usual, but then 8 out of 10 times it starts to splutter and if you dont apply a bit of welly on the throttle it'll die. i must point out that this doesn't happen ALL of the time, but a good majority. The amount of time after arriving at idle, to it starting to splutter then die varies, and doesn't seem to be constant. mind you, when you are trying to leave the lights, then start spluttering loads, having time to flip the tranny into neutral, start it, back into drive, then go, whilst timing how long it took to start spluttering, you dont tend to notice [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] when providing this 'welly' for want of a better expression, the engine speed struggles to rise, but does so after a few seconds. during this time it runs very very roughly, showing very little power and barely provides enough power to move the car forward. this has proved to be a bit hazardous when trying to leave a junction in a slight hurry [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
The hesitation? if thats the right word, also happens when you gun the throttle at any speed, it is more noticable at low speed, upon flooring the pedal, you wait for about 2-3 seconds before the car accelerates. when it does start to accelerate it does so roughly and quite slowly for a car with such a big engine.
starting the car in the morning is also a bit problematic as in whilst cranking once the engine kicks, you have to apply some throttle to keep the thing from stalling. you have to do this for at least 3 mins otherwise the engine stalls.
incidently the idle then die problem happens on either a hot or cold engine.
Right so theres a problems, i've checked the spark plugs which have only done 1000 miles since they were put in new. the deposits were of a the tan color you apparently associate with a correct mixture. removed the dizzy cap and cleaned the contacts inside, removed all deposits.
Having purchased a chiltons manual on the firebird, i've tried to work out where these symptoms lead. this aint easy when about 10 or so things can cause these symptoms!!
This is as far as i have got since i really dont know where to start with the engine.
having previously been more used to fixing Landrovers!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] i would class myself as fairly competant with mechanics of motor vehicles, but this is an entirly new kettle of fish to me, and i dont want to make any costly mistakes. living in the UK parts can sometimes be quite hard to get hold of! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
specs:- 1986 Firebird T/A, 305ci V8 (LB9) TPI motor, 700r4 auto box.
Thanks for your time in reading this!!! Absolutly any help at all would be very much greatly appreciated! not having owened the car long, i've still managed to have a lot of fun driving the thing about (even though it stalls frequently) and it is this which has kept my enthusiasm for the American Motors running! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Thanks again, and hope to hear from anyone soon. Phill Blanchard.
p.s if you require any more info which may be of use, please dont hesitate to contact me!
thanks again.

Old 11-27-2001, 07:06 PM

hi phil, email me at johndo1707@hotmail.com