Old 06-12-2013, 12:05 AM

Default 1980 pontiac bonneville 455

came across a very weird optioned car today, basically a garage find, it was a black 1980 2 door boneville, honeycomb rims, buckets,console, all options, with a factory 455, this is a 2 owner car, unfortunately it was vandalized and some parts stolen but everything under the hood is 100% complete, and it will run with a little work according to the owner, he is the second owner bought it from original owner, anyone have any info on a car like this, i know everyone is going to say it is not original but the car is untouched, where would i find a build sheet on a car like this and what is it worth, solid body, missing tail lights, couple dash pieces, interior in rough shape side glass broken everything else original, power steering,cruist,tilt,elec seat,a/c,electric windows and as i said bucket seats and console

Last edited by Black hills thunder; 06-12-2013 at 12:14 AM.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:24 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm pretty sure 1976 was the last year 455's were installed in anything from the factory. Maybe one of the letters in the vin tells what engine was from the factory for that year. Most likely a 301 but an early engine swap could look original everything bolts up.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:13 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

77-80 with floor shift console are really rare, I've only seen a half dozen or so in my lifetime. But yeah, it ain't no factory 455 if it is a 1980. The fifth digit should be W, Y, or maybe even S.
Without looking, I thought the last year the buckets/floor console was available in the B body Bonneville was 1979.

Technically this thread should be in the 67-79 Big Pontiac section.
Also, double check the sixth digit so we know what actual year you're dealing with.
The current owner sounds mis-informed.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:17 PM
Senior Chief

It's most lilkely a 301 Pontiac motor.

The Big Pontiac forum only goes to 1979. I mentioned that it should end at 1981 to the Moderators, but no change. ;(

Old 06-21-2013, 05:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yup,I've only seen a handful with buckets+console.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:36 AM

Buckets and console are rare in those cars. I've seen three in person.

455 was done in 76, 400 was done in 79.

80 would have been a 301,267,231 v-6, or the infamous Olds diesel. I'd about bet that's what this car was and it died. The 455 was the suitable replacement. It's been awhile since I've converted one of those but in the G bodies the frame had extra supports when it was a diesel car.

As mentioned above the vin will tell the tale.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 07-03-2013, 03:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Get the numbers off the motor by the distibutor and the block code under the passenger side head and someone will tel you what engine is in there but if its a 455 it is not original. But it sounds like a neat car to play with especially if it does have a 455