Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-19-2019, 11:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default removing exhaust manifolds in a 65 tempest

Being new to the pontiac building hobby I put a 400 in a 65 tempest. The exhaust manifolds were off the 400 I bought and eventually put in the car. They were on the engine when I installed the engine.

I am wanting to pull the heads off and I can't figure out what tool to use to get to the 9/16 bolts holding the exhaust manifolds off.

Any tips?

I know another Greg deal.

Thanks

Old 11-19-2019, 11:18 PM
Boost Engineer

I have removed the Head Pipes on Both exhaust manifolds, removed the motor mount bolt on the drivers side, put a block of wood on the oil pan and raised the driver's side and removed that manifold.

Dropped the engine back down on the drivers side frame mount, reinstalled the bolt, removed the passenger side bolt on the mount and repeated the process. (I also loosened the rear trans mount slightly). I had access to a lift.

Some monkeying around but makes the job easier. (Thanks Zollie) RIP
(a mechanic at my uncles Pontiac dealership).

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You can't reach them with a box end wrench? How about disconnecting the exhaust pipe from the exhaust manifold, then removing the head with the exhaust manifold still attached?

Old 11-20-2019, 02:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
You can't reach them with a box end wrench? How about disconnecting the exhaust pipe from the exhaust manifold, then removing the head with the exhaust manifold still attached?
That would be my vote.

Old 11-20-2019, 03:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

pull em with the head .... if you round off a corner on the head your squuuewed .....

use a QUALITY 6 point socket with the face shaved down flat so the socket sits DEEP on the bolt

use a 1/2 " drive .... put an extension on your socket and smack the socket over the head of the manifold bolts with a hammer
to dislodge any grime and get a nice deeep grip on the bolt head ...

SOAK all the bolts multiple times on multiple days ,,,, and collector ones also

some of the manifold bolts are exposed on the spark plug side .... soak em

Old 11-20-2019, 03:10 AM
Senior Chief

i use a snapon tool,for the places u cant get a wrench or socket on, it usually works,,its 2 inches long and flat, on one end its a box end 12 point 9/16,other end is a 3/8 square for your extension or ratchet. it would work better if it was 6 point but i havent seen one made that way, if u weld make your own..

Old 11-20-2019, 07:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't understand your post, but what I can tell you is that ifthe factory Exh Manifold bolts have never been removed then there are thin steel folded up lock tabs on the head of each bolt and if you don't fold or bend them down off the head of the bolt then the needed 9/16" socket does not fit on .

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
The Following User Says Thank You to steve25 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2019, 08:27 AM
Boost Engineer

I assumed that he would see the Lock Tabs on the heads of the Exhaust Fasteners but you never know until it is posted.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-20-2019, 04:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
That's what I did last winter. The downside is the combined weight of the head and manifold together when you pull them off. But once on the bench, you have unrestricted access to the manifold bolts. Lots of PB Blaster.

65 Tempest, 400, TH400
86 Fiero SE 2.8
Old 11-20-2019, 05:31 PM

The passenger side is easier, once you get the bolts out (box end wrench or ratchet with swiveling head) it slips right out. Drivers side is tighter but using the same tools it can be removed after you take off the starter, however the center two bolts must stay with manifold during removal or install. No need to jack up the motor but do it if you want more room to work.

Remove the head with the manifold as a last resort, the 80+ pound weight of the assembly is a back breaker.

Old 11-20-2019, 08:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
The passenger side is easier, once you get the bolts out (box end wrench or ratchet with swiveling head) it slips right out. Drivers side is tighter but using the same tools it can be removed after you take off the starter, however the center two bolts must stay with manifold during removal or install. No need to jack up the motor but do it if you want more room to work.

Remove the head with the manifold as a last resort, the 80+ pound weight of the assembly is a back breaker.
Bingo got a unsuspecting friend to stop by. bolted a chain from one end to the other and wrestled it out.

Thanks everybody
Greg