Old 02-07-2010, 12:50 AM

Default Has Anyone Changed The Belt In An 8 Track?

It's an easy job but I can't find out who sells the belts.
I've been on the Internet with but no luck at all.
They should be the same for all 78-81's I think.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:33 PM

In my town there is an old style electronics parts store that also serves the ham radio market that stocks belts. They have a lot more parts inventory than some places like Radio Shack. You might want to try a ham radio or electronics hobbiest store in your area. If there aren't any local to you, try a large catalog electroncs parts supplier like Digi-Key.

Warren

96 T/A,WS6 (#1344) ,M6
72 442,W30,A3
96 Vette convertible Grand Sport (#713),F45,M6
13 Vette 427 convertible (#1425),Z30/Z25,M6
Old 02-07-2010, 09:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've done one on my MoPar and it was pretty easy. You might try

http://www.wardsclassiccarradiorepair.com/index.html

He does great work pretty reasonably priced. He may sell the belts alone.

You might try this guy too. I've had him restore a radio for me and it turned out great.

http://www.nostalgiasounds.com/

Old 02-08-2010, 12:12 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Is the deck in the dash or the console? I do not remember the last year they were in the console. I bought mine on Ebay from stevelec this is one of just a few places that come up when you search 8 track belts. Mine is in the console and the new belts measure 12" inside circumference and the old ones were about 13 1/4", you might want to email them that's what I did and the belts worked perfect. I found another place that sells them but they were twice the price.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:01 PM

Default 8-Track Belts

Changing the drive belt is easy: once you have the radio/player out of the dash (that's the hardest part!), just remove the 8, or so, screws affixing the metal top of the unit to its body, & you'll see the large flywheel & smaller drive wheel (affixed to the electric motor) that need to be connected with rubber...

There used to be a guy on eBay who regularly sold belts there: just type in "8 track" on the eBay search engine, & see what comes up.

As kids, we never hesitated to use stiff rubber bands in our reel-to-reel recorders, when nothing else was available...surprisingly enough, most of the time they'd actually work, too! But a belt designed for the job would be better, and wouldn't have the tendency to s-t-r-e-t-c-h like a rubber band inherently does...

Eddy
Ontario, CANADA