Old 06-01-2011, 09:40 PM

Default 86 GP 200-4R tranny question

My GP with the 305 is acting a little funny upon stopping and starting as if the tranny is not downshifting correct. It is like when you come to a stop it acts as if it has a manual tranny and is about to stall. Upon starting then it kind of luggs as a manual would starting in a higher gear. I am going to change what is called a "transmission control solenoid" from Auto Zone. That is the only solenolid listed for the tranny. I don't have a lot of tranny experience and wondered if you folks thought I was on the right track and exactly where this part is located on the tranny and if it is internal is it easy to change? Thanks

79 Anniversary Trans Am
Old 06-02-2011, 05:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You are correct. It sounds like you need a TCC (torque converter clutch) solenoid. It is a very common problem.

Drop the pan, remove the filter, unplug the connector, remove the 2 10 mm bolts and pull the solenoid out of the pump. It's real easy.

There is a tension spring under the filter, pushing the filter down. Make sure that you keep it UNDER the filter when you put the new filter in it!

Old 06-02-2011, 04:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Unplug the connector and see if the problem goes away when you go for a short drive. If it does then it is electrical.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not necessarily. A restricted TCC solenoid may only act up when warm, so unplugging it may not really prove anything.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post
Not necessarily. A restricted TCC solenoid may only act up when warm, so unplugging it may not really prove anything.
That was what mine did. When cold it was fine. When warm it was 1-2-3-4-lock up and would not unlock until you got down to 3 mph or so.

I searched long and hard until I found the problem on a GN board. And it is easy to replace.

08 Torrent GXP (wife's)
09 G8 ST (UTE) black

A pissed off fat house chimp on dope would be a lot more deadly.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:30 PM

Thanks folks the problem is solved. This solenoid has been bad longer than I thought because the car runs as new now. My Gp has been sluggish for a long time and I thought maybe the engine was just getting tired. Not until it got to the point where it felt like a manual tranny ready to stall upon stopping did I know I had a problem with the tranny. She hasn't felt this good in years.

I have a pneumatic pump(sucker) that I used to suck out the tranny fluid through the dipstick tube. I highly recommend it.

79 Anniversary Trans Am
Old 06-12-2011, 01:11 PM

Well since fixing my problem with the solenoid I have now developed a leak not from the pan but up front between the dust cover and the oil pan. It would almost have to be the front seal but I cannot see why my repair would have anything to do with that. I also find it hard to believe it just happend to begin leaking on it's own the day after I did the repair. Also I did not over fill the fluid. Am I missing something? The last thing I want to do is go the the trouble of replacing the front seal.

79 Anniversary Trans Am
Old 06-26-2011, 05:50 PM

It does sound like the front seal has failed, may have already been that way and you didn't realize it, and now that the lockup is working, it makes for more pressure into the converter possibly, as I am not certain how the lockup works, only that it engages the converter housing.