Old 05-08-2013, 04:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default G-Body 4 speed Conversion

I'm converting a G body to a 4 speed. I will be using a Muncie 4 speed and hust shifter. Does anyone know what shifter linkage will work with a Muncie for a G body without having to cut the transmission tunnel up?

I am thinking about ordering up a shifter installation kit for a '65-'66 GTO. Has anyone used any shifter linkage in particular when converting to a Muncie?

Thanks

Old 05-09-2013, 03:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You have to cut the tunnel unless you are using a Saginaw 4 speed. There is no way around it.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have no problem hacking up the floor for the 4 speed shifter porch, but you're saying that there isn't enough room for stock GTO or Firebird shifter linkage to clear the tunnel with a Muncie?

Old 05-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

GM made them with a Saginaw transmission. The shifter is not mounted on the tailshaft housing like it would be on a Muncie. There is a mounting plate that moves the shifter forward. The mounting plate won't work on a Muncie because it would cover up the area where the reverse lever is at. I put a T10 in a G body and used the shifter from a 3rd gen F body. The shifter handle is in the middle of the tunnel. The shifter linkage is real close to the transmission crossmember. I have some Hurst shifters but have not tried using them. There might be a problem with the front seat interference. I tried moving the shifter hump back and covering up the hole in the front, that won't work, the contour is different when it's moved back further. I have a 4th gen F body console in it, it was for a automatic, I cut out the middle of the shifter location for the automatic and the 4 speed shifter handle is in the right place. The tunnel will have to be cut if you use a Muncie. You might also need just the right shifter handle. The original shifter handle is real close to the dash, once it's moved back it might be ackward trying to shift.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If anyone is converting a G body to a Muncie 4 speed, '66 GTO hurst shifter linkage works great. It doesn't hit the crossmember or have interference with the floor pan.