Old 10-04-2014, 10:47 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Exclamation 1980 Grand Am, real or clone?

I just found this, and was marveling at it's condition. I have never seen it in all my internet travels. I was going to log the VIN for my personal records (and anyone else who is heavily into these 2nd gen GA).
It was then I immediately noticed a huge problem with the VIN.

The second digit is an F, which designates Grand Lemans. Year digit is in the seventh place and engine digit designates a 200 V6, if it is correct.
Nice car otherwise. Maybe the VIN was just copied down wrong, but there are too many mistakes.
I had my doubts that the 3.08 was factory, also. Might be a dealer installed on delivery feature but 2.93 was the only ratio available on Grand Am, to my understanding.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Gran...US_Cars_Trucks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$_57.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	377932  

Old 10-04-2014, 10:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I am 99% certain this is the same car, but when it was still out west. I still have pics of it on a disc somewhere, I wanted to buy it but it was too far away. Note that it has the same Grand Am Radial G/Ts on it and is a bench seat with sunroof.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/332680...tiac-grand-am/

Pretty sure you are right about the axle ratio. The mileage is only about 3K different. One discrepancy is the Cardomain GA says it had the TH200 replaced with a TH350, but it sure looks like the same car.

-Dave

----------------------------------------------------------

2004 Grand Prix GT daily driver
1974 LeMans GT 455
Old 10-06-2014, 02:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Dave, now that you posted that I do recall seeing it about 6-7 years ago.
Interesting that the eBay seller makes no mention of the 1647 production number. But the "one off" comment might not be far off, if it really is a GA. I would say it could be a one of 5 with the moonroof & column shift.

It's got all the correct Grand Am features except that puzzling VIN. I have a hard time believing there were any produced with the 'peanut sized' Chevy V6. But if this was a Grand Lemans, that would be out the window. You'd think they wouldn't have bothered to change the tail lights, or paint the lower body Ontario Grey.
I used to have a PHS packet for a 1980 Grand Am, and I thought there was a bulleton in there about the 301 4bbl being the only engine available.

I think this just has the VIN copied off wrong. Maybe on purpose. Or maybe the year digit out of place is the only mistake, and it is just a well done clone.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:20 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I agree, I am fairly sure it is a genuine 80 G/A but the seller may have entered the VIN wrong intentionally. You are right, the 301 4bbl was the only engine offered, although my GTO source book shows the 305 4bbl is listed for Altitude and California emissions.

I sent a friends request, we share a common interest in the more unusual cars. In fact, here is one I would love to have. I'm not in a position to buy it, but maybe you would be interested:
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/4641631655.html

----------------------------------------------------------

2004 Grand Prix GT daily driver
1974 LeMans GT 455
Old 10-06-2014, 03:19 PM
Senior Chief

I know the seller and emailed him about the VIN.
As mentioned, the VIN should be 2G27WAPxxxxxx

And the car did come from Washington state, maybe 5 years ago or so.
He was thinking about selling a few months back..

Old 10-06-2014, 03:36 PM
Senior Chief

Well, Jim in Rochester NY sold the car to the guy listing it for sale in Schenectady.
I thought the description was pretty weak.
Jim bought an 80 parts car from me, basically bought the parts car so he could install the correct transmission in his 80. Guess he never got around to the swap.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Kent's post reminded me that this VIN is for a 4-door Grand Lemans as well.

I'm not a fan of the moonroof but I like seeing the rally IVs on these cars.
I wonder if there were any black '80s that were ordered with the tan cloth interior.
Don't think I've ever seen one but maybe because the limited ext color availability it went away.