Old 11-20-2018, 11:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Restoring Snowflakes Question - PPG

Hi Guys, so I found someone is my area that will restore my rims and change the color from silver to gold. I need to provide the paint. So, do I just go down to the automotive paint store and ask for a quart of PPG 82352? Is it that simple. Do I need to know anything else?

My rims are going to be media blasted, then the ribs and edge polished, then primed, painted and clear powder coated.

Thanks!

Pick of old rim, attached.

Look I am after:

http://transamcountry.com/community/...?topic=27522.0
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1235.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	498388  

Old 11-21-2018, 09:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

the paint choice is up to you, you can get the correct code in a single stage or base for clear to spray from a gun or they make a good quality gold in a can, think its oer or oem brand from summit etc. i used their silver for honeycombs & its a very good paint.

as for restoring, i would suggest against powder clear, i had my first set of 15x8 snowflakes done that way from a major wheel resto company done through one of the popular "f-body" vendors, they came back looking TERRIBLE! all kinds of orange peel & even debris stuck in the clear, i sent them back for refund & used another company out of texas & chose no clear. powder clear goes on so thick that its hard to get a smooth finish & cures so hard you cant really sand & buff it. also, if & when they get a chip or scratch (& they will) it cant be touched up & once its chipped it can crack & cause corrosion under the clear like you see on so many modern factory wheels that are cleared. if you insist on clearing them consider a good quality automotive clear that can be sanded & buffed & touched up when needed.

on the 2nd set i had done i chose no clear, like the factory did on these snowflakes. they did the full restoration, smoothed edges & lathe turned the faces. came back looking better than new. i keep them clean & lightly wax them each season & 10 years later they look like the day i got them. if they arent on a daily driver or exposed to road salts etc, leaving them bare is fine & will look 100 times better IMO. i can post pics if you want to see the difference between powder clear & bare alum. & can tell you where i had them done, they were about $100ea + shipping. if your local guy can smooth the curb rash & poilish them up nice, i would seriously consider no powder clear.

Old 11-21-2018, 10:32 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That is great info. Yes, if you have pictures, I would love to see them. I really want to do this right the first time.

Old 11-21-2018, 10:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

pics of powder clear. aside from the crappy paint work in the silver areas, mainly notice the orange peel look powder clears can get, & possibility of debris.

ive seen it better on say the year one 17" snowflakes but thats done by a major company with at least some quality control & its very thin. normal powder coat is thick like this & ruins the sharp edges & adds a too glossy artificial looking finish... but some guys might like that. IMO, natural aluminum looks much better & can be maintained & re-polished if needed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1140.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	498398   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1141.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	498399   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1142.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	498400  

Last edited by 78w72; 11-21-2018 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

bare aluminum... sooo much nice looking with sharp edges. in person these rims actually throw "rainbows" when the sun hits them, kind of like a prism effect.

wether you go with a smooth hand polished look or have them done by a company that can turn them on a lathe with light machine grooves like the factory original, i say no clear. save the clear for daily drivers that need the protection.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1282.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	498401   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1245.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	498402  

Old 11-21-2018, 03:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
bare aluminum... sooo much nice looking with sharp edges. in person these rims actually throw "rainbows" when the sun hits them, kind of like a prism effect.

wether you go with a smooth hand polished look or have them done by a company that can turn them on a lathe with light machine grooves like the factory original, i say no clear. save the clear for daily drivers that need the protection.
Are these polished?

Old 11-21-2018, 03:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenga View Post
Are these polished?
nope, these are unpolished bare aluminum. this is how they look when they are turned on a lathe into fresh aluminum & can be just as shiny if done by hand. i have never had the need to polish them at all, just keep em clean & apply a very light quick wax once every year or 2.

regardless of if you have them hand polished or done by a professional wheel restoration company, they look much better without powder clear & wont have problems if the clear is chipped of dinged.

Old 11-21-2018, 03:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
nope, these are unpolished bare aluminum. this is how they look when they are turned on a lathe into fresh aluminum & can be just as shiny if done by hand. i have never had the need to polish them at all, just keep em clean & apply a very light quick wax once every year or 2.

regardless of if you have them hand polished or done by a professional wheel restoration company, they look much better without powder clear & wont have problems if the clear is chipped of dinged.
But if I am painting gold, you would clear the gold just not the aluminum.

Old 11-21-2018, 03:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

depends on what paint you choose. the gold in the spray can is a single stage & doesnt need a clear. they also offer any paint color you want in a single stage that doesnt need clear. my silver centers are not cleared, just a good quality single stage paint.

if you absolutely want to clear the paint, consider just using a quality base/clear auto paint. much easier to mask & spray than trying to get a good mask line with powder coat done by someone else at a powder company. to me, powder coat is better on large pieces like frames or suspension parts etc, not fine detailed lines like on snowflakes.

the resto places paint them first without masking then the lathe turns new metal leaving a very sharp crips edge on the painted part. could probably be done the same way if done by hand.

best of luck whichever way you go!

Old 11-22-2018, 09:37 PM

If I recall correctly, the PPG paint code you reference was the original paint used in the 70s. That was lacquer paint. Most local paint suppliers don't carry lacquer any longer due to EPA regulations. You will have to find a supplier on-line that specializes in vintage paint formulations and have it shipped to you.

96 T/A,WS6 (#1344) ,M6
72 442,W30,A3
96 Vette convertible Grand Sport (#713),F45,M6
13 Vette 427 convertible (#1425),Z30/Z25,M6
Old 11-22-2018, 10:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks Warren

Old 02-25-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
the paint choice is up to you, you can get the correct code in a single stage or base for clear to spray from a gun or they make a good quality gold in a can, think its oer or oem brand from summit etc. i used their silver for honeycombs & its a very good paint.

as for restoring, i would suggest against powder clear, i had my first set of 15x8 snowflakes done that way from a major wheel resto company done through one of the popular "f-body" vendors, they came back looking TERRIBLE! all kinds of orange peel & even debris stuck in the clear, i sent them back for refund & used another company out of texas & chose no clear. powder clear goes on so thick that its hard to get a smooth finish & cures so hard you cant really sand & buff it. also, if & when they get a chip or scratch (& they will) it cant be touched up & once its chipped it can crack & cause corrosion under the clear like you see on so many modern factory wheels that are cleared. if you insist on clearing them consider a good quality automotive clear that can be sanded & buffed & touched up when needed.

on the 2nd set i had done i chose no clear, like the factory did on these snowflakes. they did the full restoration, smoothed edges & lathe turned the faces. came back looking better than new. i keep them clean & lightly wax them each season & 10 years later they look like the day i got them. if they arent on a daily driver or exposed to road salts etc, leaving them bare is fine & will look 100 times better IMO. i can post pics if you want to see the difference between powder clear & bare alum. & can tell you where i had them done, they were about $100ea + shipping. if your local guy can smooth the curb rash & poilish them up nice, i would seriously consider no powder clear.
What company in Texas did you use for the 2nd set? I would be curious to look into the same for a gold set I have.

Old 02-25-2019, 08:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

cant recall the company that actually did them, but it was done through texas trans ams.

Old 02-25-2019, 11:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just curious, how are all these guys getting their wheels restored if we can't get a PPG paint code.

I drop my rims on on Tues and they have a PPG paint mixer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-02-25 at 7.10.07 PM.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	506626  

Old 02-25-2019, 11:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What are you waiting for? Give them the paint code and ask them to do a spray out so you can see it and sign off. That way you will know: 1) if they can mix the old PPG code, and 2) if they mix it in such a way that you think it looks correct.

Like others have said, I wouldn’t clear them. Been there and done that. Also, be prepared that the blasting process may leave the snowflake recesses with some flaws as these wheels were sand cast and there will likely be some small voids.

Last edited by Bentwheelbob; 02-25-2019 at 11:41 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwheelbob View Post
What are you waiting for? Give them the paint code and ask them to do a spray out so you can see it and sign off. That way you will know: 1) if they can mix the old PPG code, and 2) if they mix it in such a way that you think it looks correct.

Like others have said, I wouldn’t clear them. Been there and done that. Also, be prepared that the blasting process may leave the snowflake recesses with some flaws as these wheel were sand cast and there will likely be some small voids.
Why not clear? Thanks!

Old 02-25-2019, 11:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

To me it didn’t look correct. Too shiny and too much of a plastic looking coating over the machined aluminum. How much are you going to drive this thing as OCD as you are? Why do you think you need the clear? Skip it.

Old 02-25-2019, 11:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Wheel repair shop recommendation for clear. Car will be driven. Don’t think Ive ever been called OCD. Thank you

Old 02-26-2019, 03:36 AM
Suspended

The factory used clear. It just didn't stay there long. Many metallics require a clear, are you planning on polishing the alloy spokes regularly? Clear it.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:15 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus78Formula View Post
The factory used clear. It just didn't stay there long. Many metallics require a clear, are you planning on polishing the alloy spokes regularly? Clear it.
Thanks!